9 Assisted Living Facilities near Elkhart, IN
There are 9 Assisted Living Facilities in the Elkhart area, with 3 in Elkhart and 6 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Elkhart is $3,535 per month. This is lower than the national median of $3,595. Cheaper nearby regions include Mishawaka with an average starting cost of $2,700.
To help you with your search, browse the 67 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Elkhart. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Elkhart 4.3 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Granger with an average rating of 4.5 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped 7 families in Elkhart find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Elkhart, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 5 Assisted Living Facilities in Elkhart, IN
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Elkhart
The city of Elkhart was first settled in the 1800s by Jesse Rush and Andrew Naffsinger and was given its name by Dr. Havilah Beardsley in the 1830s. Today, residents can see Dr. Beardsley's 1848 brick home at the north end of Main Street, which is the oldest home in Elkhart. Since its founding, the city has grown to over 52,000 residents, over 12% of whom are aged 65 and over.
Seniors who need companionship and assistance with daily living activities may choose from three assisted living facilities within the city proper and six more in the nearby cities of Granger and Mishawaka. In Elkhart and in all of Indiana, these facilities are officially called residential care facilities and are licensed by the Family and Social Services Agency Division of Aging.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Elkhart
- The Elkhart area is home to world-class medical facilities, such as Elkhart General Hospital, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- Indiana seniors do not pay taxes on their Social Security benefits at the state level, but they do pay state income tax on all other types of retirement income. This can affect their assisted living budget in the Elkhart region.
- Elkhart's air quality is subpar with moderate short-term particle pollution and high ozone pollution levels, which may be a concern for seniors who have conditions like COPD.
- Elkhart is rated safer than 7% of U.S. communities and cities of all sizes and 3% of Indiana cities, and residents have a 1 in 22 chance of being the victim of any type of crime. Seniors visiting local assisted living facilities may want to ask about what security measures are taken to keep facility residents safe.
- Over the course of a year, temperatures in Elkhart range between 19 and 82 degrees. Summers are relatively humid, which may be a consideration for seniors with asthma or arthritis. Winters are cold and windy, and the city is partly cloudy year-round.
- The Interurban Trolley provides public transportation in Elkhart and its neighboring cities of Goshen and Mishawaka. It also operates a paratransit service called Interurban Trolley Access for those with a physical disability that prevents them from riding the buses.
Note: Data reported on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Elkhart
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Indiana
Assisted Living costs in Elkhart start around $3,535 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Elkhart and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Elkhart
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Indiana page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Indiana page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Elkhart
Elkhart and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Elkhart, please visit our Assisted Living in Indiana page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Elkhart
Elkhart-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Indiana are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Indiana page for more information about these laws.
Other Options in Elkhart, IN
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Elkhart
Review of Brentwood at Elkhart Assisted Living
We have just placed my mom in an assisted living place called Brentwood at Elkhart. The biggest reason why we chose them was the price and the location. I also like the ease of getting around, it w... Read more
Review of Elkhart Place
Elkhart Place is a very clean place. All the staff is very helpful, and we've had a good experience so far. My mother gets three meals a day and they distribute her medication. The dining area is v... Read more
Review of Elkhart Place
My mother-in-law is doing very well at Elkhart Place. She seems quite happy and she's been participating in activities. She adjusted well, and that's the most important thing to me. The staff has b... Read more