Located on the north edge of the Dallas-Fort Worth metroplex, Denton is a vibrant city, home to the North Texas State Fair and Rodeo and the Denton Arts and Jazz Festival.  Approximately 11.4% of its population of 141,541 are aged 65 and over. The city has a number of health care facilities, such as Medical City Denton, which specializes in orthopedic care. It achieved four stars out of five for patient experience in a study by U.S. News & World Report. In the city’s nursing homes, seniors typically pay $5,171 for semiprivate rooms, which is 40% below the national average, according to the 2020 Genworth Cost of Care Survey

Nursing homes provide a greater degree of care than other facilities. They are suitable for seniors unable to look after themselves in their own homes. Although each facility is unique, some common features include skilled nursing staff, 24/7 monitoring and an environment more like home than a hospital. Not all seniors need nursing home care. Assisted living and home health care may also be options.

The different types of health care costs are covered in more detail in this guide, which includes a list of some helpful resources for Denton’s seniors.

Directory of Nursing Homes in Denton, TX

Good Samaritan Society – Denton Village

2500 Hinkle Dr. , Denton, TX, 76201

The Good Samaritan Society Village in Denton is a beautiful 27-acre facility within sight of North Lake Park, located just ten minutes from the heart of Denton, Texas. Visitors praise this location fo … (read more)

Cottonwood Nursing and Rehabilitation

2224 N CARROLL BLVD, Denton, TX, 76201

My Dad (Papa) chose this facility for personal reasons and spent his last couple of months well taken care of. They coordinated services with our hospice provider and treated my Dad with great care. M … (read more)

Vintage Retirement Community Assisted Living, The

205 North Bonnie Brae, Denton, TX, 76201

I’m in the Village at Denton. The staff is very good and friendly. There are six floors with, I think, 15 people per floor. They have a barber shop, a workout room, and their own restaurant, and act … (read more)

Denton Rehabilitation and Nursing Center

2229 N CARROLL BLVD, Denton, TX, 76201

My Mom has been a resident of DRNC for 1 year. I cannot tell you how Blessed we are to have this facility for her. The management and staff are top notch, and she has received the best care possib … (read more)

Select Rehabilitation Hospital – Denton

2620 Scripture St, , Denton, TX, 76201

I do not think Select Rehabilitation Hospital of Denton was that good. My wife said it was. I do not think I could be a fair judge of it. I have lived there for a while. The staff was very distant. I … (read more)

Rambling Oaks Courtyard Extensive Care Community

112 Barenett Road, Highland Village, TX, 75077

Thank you to Rambling Oaks Staff for being kind, responsible, loving, attentive to our mom. You have shown us all what a true rehab/elderly facility should be like. You treat our mom with the dignity … (read more)

Lake Village Inc Dba Lake Village Nursing and Reha

169 LAKE PARK RD, Lewisville, TX, 75057

My father was in a rehab facility called Lake Village. We chose this rehab facility because it was just close to my mother’s home so she could visit him there. His room was clean. With regard to the p … (read more)

Hollymead

4101 Long Prairie Rd,, Flower Mound, TX, 75028

Buyer Beware – Don’t be fooled by pretty picture We placed our mom in here with the high hopes she would be well cared for. The admissions department says all the right things when you are bli … (read more)

Cross Timbers Rehabilitation and Healthcare Center

3315 CROSS TIMBERS RD, Flower Mound, TX, 75028

I live out of state and visited Cross Timbers recently to see my aunt. The staff didn’t know I was coming and so what I encountered was the norm, not a result of special preparation. I was so pleased … (read more)

Longmeadow Healthcare Center

120 MEADOWVIEW DR, Justin, TX, 76247

My mother is in Longmeadow Healthcare Center. They love you when you first come to them and they bend over backwards, then when you try to get a hold of your loved one to talk to them because the plac … (read more)

Corinth Rehabilitation Suites on the Parkway

3511 Corinth Parkway,, Corinth, TX, 76208

I am so grateful to the staff at Corinth. I fought to get my mom out of a terrible facility and Ebony, communicated with me and my family consistently to ease our worry. She even called me on mom’s … (read more)

Nursing Home Costs in Denton, TX

A semiprivate room in Denton costs, on average, $5,171 per month, while a private room is approximately 26% more at $6,692.

The Cost of Nursing Home Care in Nearby Cities

When comparing the average monthly costs of semiprivate rooms in Denton with the costs in the average American city, seniors in Denton typically pay $2,585 less than their peers across the country. However, they also pay $152 per month more than their fellow Texans.

Denton’s nearest neighbor in cost terms is three-and-a-half hours away in Austin, where fees are typically $5,201. To varying degrees, cities closer to Denton are more affordable. Waco’s seniors pay $4,745 for semiprivate rooms, while up in Wichita Falls, the costs are $4,502. Sherman is slightly more affordable, with costs of $4,494.

$5171

Waco

$5201

Austin

The Cost of Other Types of Senior Care

It is worth looking at the costs of other forms of care, particularly if families are unsure if nursing home care is most appropriate for their loved ones. The most affordable care option is adult day care, with fees in the region of $1,571 per month. Home care and home health care, which usually includes limited medical attention, are both $4,385. These figures are barely below the $4,400 it costs to reside in an assisted living community. In nursing homes, costs are $5,171 for semiprivate rooms and $6,692 for private rooms.

$4385

Adult day health care

$4400

Assisted living

$5171

Nursing home (semiprivate room)

$6692

Nursing home (private room)

Financial Assistance for Nursing Home Care in Denton, TX

Free Resources for Seniors in Denton, TX

The resources below are some examples of what may be available to seniors in Denton. In some cases, they may make living at home possible with support, while in other cases, they may make nursing home care more affordable.

ResourceContactService
VA Aid and Attendance Benefits and Housebound Allowance(817) 515-6319Veterans of the U.S. military and their surviving spouses can apply for either of these benefits, depending on their circumstances. For seniors still able to live in their homes, the Housebound Allowance can be used to contribute towards the costs of in-home care, while seniors in nursing homes can use the benefit to meet some of their costs. To see if they are eligible, seniors can check the helpful online tool provided by VeteranAid.org.
Texas Health Information, Counseling and Advocacy Program(800) 762-0157The program’s purpose is to help beneficiaries of Medicare understand their policies and to assist those yet to enroll in the process. The counselors don’t charge for the confidential service and provide unbiased information on a range of supplementary plans, such as Medicare Advantage and Medicare Prescription Drug. They may also be able to help low-income residents get additional help with the costs of prescription drugs.
STAR+PLUS211STAR+PLUS is a Medicaid program for adults aged 65+ who need long-term medical care but are still able to live in their own homes. In some cases, it can also help those in senior living facilities. To access the benefit, seniors cannot be recipients of Supplemental Security Income (SSI).
Span Denton County Transportation(940) 382-2224The program operates a fleet of 30 vehicles with wheelchair access that transport seniors throughout the county. Seniors must make an appointment to access the shared-ride service. It can be used for multiple purposes, such as shopping, recreation and visiting senior centers. Veterans can also use the service to journey to veterans’ hospitals in Fort Worth and Dallas. Adults aged 60+ pay a reduced fare of $2.50.
Home Delivered Meals(940) 382-2224The program delivers meals to Denton County residents who are unable to make their own meals or have someone cook regularly for them. Meals are prepared daily and delivered by trained volunteers between 10:30 a.m. and 12 noon. There is no charge for the meals, although donations of $2 per delivery are welcome.