Parkwood Healthcare

Reviews of Parkwood Healthcare

Assisted Living Reviews for Parkwood Healthcare

April 28, 2021

By Nelda

My sister moved into Parkwood Healthcare, and it's very nice. The staff is also very nice, very knowledgeable, and very helpful. My sister doesn't talk about her room because she has dementia, and I can only say based on what I have seen through video that it's very nice. She is in assisted living, and they have memory care if that is needed in the future. They are keeping me updated about her, and they're good with that. They have a piano, which she enjoys playing, and a courtyard, and the facility is clean, too.

Nelda, it is truly an honor to have earned this amazing review! We are honored that you chose Parkwood Healthcare to care for your sister. We appreciate your trust in our team members, and we are grateful for the opportunity to support her and you. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us!

May 16, 2018

By bkra2513

Lucy, the Social Worker is the most unfriendly, non supportive, non sympathetic person you will ever meet! This job is not for her! To be in this business, patients and family should come first and she did not help with anything we asked her. She would laugh at comments and questions asked. It is very sad that she is placed in a facility like this!

Our team works hard to provide residents with the best support possible and we regret that we did not meet your expectations. We take your comments very seriously and would like to speak with you further. We would appreciate the chance to discuss your concerns. Please reach out to Akash Bhatia, executive director by phone or email him.

September 08, 2017

By Lorie Watts

From the nurses, CNAs, med aids, therapists and social worker I received genuine love and care. This is the best skilled nursing facility. Thank you Jackie, Dorothy, Edwin, Justine Rosilie Navidad, Luci and all of you here at Parkwood for embracing me and showing me the true meaning of patient care!

We're so glad that we were able to go above and beyond your expectations! Thank you, and have a fantastic day!

August 21, 2017

By Dennis

Parkwood Healthcare is very cordial in allowing Mom to go there. They met all her needs in the rehab and helped us in the transition into assisted living. It is one-stop shopping, basically. Mom does the exercises, and they have bingo and readings. The meals are very good. The place is organized and clean, and there's a doctor on duty.

March 03, 2017

By Dad's dawter

We moved my Dad to Parkwood six months ago. I had two friends from church had live at Parkwood and are very happy so I thought that was the best possible referral. The staff is always around, super helpful and friendly. You can be busy and social, or quiet and reclusive. Plenty of activities offered The choice is yours. Meals are good and take-home is available for those times when you have a conflicting appointment with lunch. This is an older facility, but it is well maintained and the residents love living there. Dad has acclimated well and is enjoying life at Parkwood.

Thanks for the feedback! We strive to provide excellent service to our customers at Parkwood Healthcare Community. You really made our day today!

January 06, 2017

By Susan from Bedford

Mom has been in Parkwood's retirement apartments for six months now and we couldn't have chosen better.

December 10, 2016

By Son of a Mom

My Mom was a resident of Parkwood Retirement Independent Living and is now a resident at Parkwood Healthcare Assisted Living. Additionally, she has had two medical rehab stays at Parkwood Healthcare. The Parkwood experience for my Mom and our family has been excellent. The staff is professional and caring and the facility is well maintained. We experienced another rehab facility and another assisted living facility in the past 18 months and we can tell you that Parkwood Healthcare is head and shoulders above the others. Nothing is perfect... But, the Parkwood Healthcare staff has always taken excellent care of my Mom.

November 23, 2016

By Nadine652380

My sister lives in Parkwood Healthcare Community. The food is good, and she’s got a very nice place. She has her own furniture, and she had it fixed really nicely. It is an older building, but it’s all been redone and up-to-date. It’s open, airy, and bright. The staff is nice.

September 18, 2016

By Becky005543

We had lunch at Parkwood Healthcare, and they were very welcoming. The admissions director was very good -- the best one that we talked to -- and I really liked her a lot. I like the apartments, the facility, and that they have different types of care. Very pretty area where it’s located. They had planned activities like card playing, and it was of decent value.

April 25, 2016

By Friend105

My friend was able to get into Parkwood Healthcare Community with Medicare. It’s mainly the staff that makes it wonderful. They are right there when she needs them; all she has to do is push her button. They’re very busy, but they have so many people working there that they can cover everyone. She has therapy every day, which is wonderful because she needs it desperately. The rooms are very clean, and she has a TV in her one-room suite; someone is in another room, and they use the same bathroom. She’s able to see outside and enjoys looking outside. I’ve talked to her about the food, and she says it is wonderful. The admissions director was wonderful; my friend was at a rehab facility at that time and she saved my friend a room in a suite.

March 27, 2015

Parkwood didn’t fit our needs, but the staff was straightforward and addressed all our concerns. They had music, games, and exercises as part of their activities.

January 17, 2014

Parkwood is an older assisted living facility. Even though it's old, it's very established. It had very high accolades from both people that have had their parents there and from a friend who is a doctor that runs a hospice company. So it was from a variety of sources that I derived these recommendations. The facility also has a nursing and rehab wing to it. I would recommend them. When my sister and I visited it, we were most impressed with the hands-on staff and its realistic price for the services given. Also the office staff and their head nurse were extremely helpful, cooperative and very patient with us. They worked very well with us and that's what impressed me the most. I didn't see any problem with the actual care part, but then again, we weren't there for a lengthy period of time. As for the facility, they really need to do some updating, e.g., putting on new carpets. Their laundry facilities were definitely very dated and small. We did see their rooms. They're older and a little bit worn-looking, but they were clean. They were more like studio-sized rooms. They did have a few bigger rooms but they're a little out of our price range so we didn't bother to look at them.

July 02, 2012

By deej

My mother with AD had rehab at Parkwood after partial hip replacement surgery. She was able to stay in the rehab wing but they do offer an Alzheimer's wing as well. I was very impressed and very pleased with the nursing/aid staff. The management seemed to have a passion for taking care of the elderly and showed me what all they were doing and continuing to do in order to take care of the residents. They took very good care of my mom while in rehab and in fact we took advantage of her stay and took a mini vacation knowing she was well taken care of so when we returned we were able to bring her back home. They were very organized in giving out their meds and anything extra meds that were needed. The aides were very patient with the residents even when you saw the residents get angry with them for the normal reasons that AD and dementia presents ( several had AD as well as it was apparent) They were prompt to come to her when she called ( tho she never remembered). I only wish they provided respite care as well as I would definitely place here there for a day or two at a time to get some rest from taking care of her. I would highly recommend them.

Nursing Home Reviews for Parkwood Healthcare

February 02, 2020

By cyclist

The nurse staff crushed time release medication that was not supposed to be crushed It sent my family member into extreme hypotension They were totally unaware. Family members checked blood pressure. Had to have him sent to the hospital. Where he remains unresponsive.

We are disappointed by your feedback and take your comments very seriously. Our team works hard to provide residents with the best care and experience possible. We would appreciate the chance to discuss your concerns. Please reach out to Akash Bhatia, executive director.

February 01, 2020

By Lynne5477

My dad had a stroke and went to a rehab hospital til insurance no longer paid and then we took him to Parkwood to continue rehab until we could get his home ready. I explained he had bad eyesight and needed help as he could not yet transfer himself. He went there for therapy. I'm not sure what kind of therapy he got but the one day I was there for it, it lasted less than 15 minutes. On the 3rd day, he started getting fuzzy and not right, would improve later in day, and same thing repeated. Speech Therapy would not allow him water but only small sips of a thickened liquid. Then they started crushing his blood pressure (time released) meds which is a big NO-NO. I learned they were doing this too late. His bp would drop significantly by mid-morning so they didn't give therapy. They did not help him eat and several times gave him nothing to drink with his meals. I was there. They gave him BP meds when he didn't need them which caused his BP to drop significantly. On 7th day, I walked in and immediately saw something was wrong. OT had been working with him and said nothing. I asked nurse to check his BP and it was 70/40. Seems there response is always just to put patient in bed. He acquired horrible bed sores in such a short time. I ended up calling 911 and getting him to the ER at hospital. Between the severe dehydration and the over-dosing of meds due to crushing them, he was in horrible condition. I don't recommend this facility for anyone that cannot advocate for themselves. I honestly believe had I not moved him, he would have been dead the following morning.

We take your comments very seriously and would like to speak with you further. Our team works hard to provide residents with the best support possible and we regret that we did not meet your expectations. We would appreciate the chance to discuss your concerns. Please reach out to Akash Bhatia, executive director.

May 08, 2019

By tsjames48

My mom couldn’t get anybody to help her go to the restroom all day long and for her dinner one day all they gave her was a bowl of corn and a scoop of ice cream. If it wasn’t for the ice cream I would have thought she was being served prison food. This is ridiculous for the kind of money that is spent here for them to take care of loved ones. Staff seam to be really rude and very in helpful. The rooms are just BLAH at best. Things need to change around here. I do not recommend this place for anybody

Our team works hard to provide residents with the best support possible and we regret that we did not meet your expectations. We take your comments very seriously and would like to speak with you further. We would appreciate the chance to discuss your concerns. Please reach out to Akash Bhatia, exec utive director by phone or email him.

Questions about Parkwood Healthcare

Describe the overall population of assisted living residents at Parkwood Healthcare. What is their average age? What are their favorite things to do?

Parkwood offers two Assisted Living neighborhoods. Our Nottingham neighborhood is for those that need less physical help. These neighbors are a variety of ages, averaging in the 80's. They receive support such as medication management, reminders, prompts, and stand-by assistance with activities of daily living. Our Cambridge neighborhood is for those with more physical needs such as transfer assistance, physical assistance with activities of daily living, as well as enhanced services such as sliding scale insulin, ostomy care. These neighbors receive physical support to maintain their daily lives. Cambridge is the perfect neighborhood to bridge the gap between skilled nursing and next steps or to enjoy for a lifetime.

What programs or activities does Parkwood Healthcare offer to enrich residents' well-being?

Parkwood is known for great care and also live music entertainment each week! From singing staff members, to impromptu piano sing-a-longs, joy is always in the air. Our Life Enrichment Coordinator and staff nourish body, mind, and spirit with a variety of activities designed to keep bodies moving. Group exercise & Noodle Ball keep bodies in shape. The Price is Right & our monthly Bean Auction are games designed to keep brains engaged. Spirits are soothed with church services while regular personal visits build a warm, caring relationship specific to each resident.

What places are near Parkwood Healthcare or within walking distance for assisted living residents to enjoy?

Parkwood is close to shopping, restaurants, hotels, movies and more. We are evenly situated between Dallas and Fort Worth. Our close proximity to DFW airport makes visits from out of town a breeze.

What transportation services does Parkwood Healthcare offer to assisted living residents?

Parkwood offers a variety of transportation services, including our transportation van, operated by a Certified Nurse's Aide, as well as partnerships with external transport services to suit any need.

What makes the chef or dining program at Parkwood Healthcare exceptional? What kind of menu can assisted living residents expect?

Parkwood residents dine restaurant-style in our comfortable, intimate dining rooms situated in each neighborhood. An all-day dining menu is also available, as well as juice, drinks and snacks served 24 hour room service-style. Menus vary and a variety of primarily New Traditional cuisine is served. We honor some special diets, such as diabetic and renal diets as well.

What safety features or security measures does Parkwood Healthcare offer to assisted living residents?

Parkwood's Healthcare building, which contains our Assisted Living neighborhoods, is a single-level building, meaning no stairs to climb and no elevators to operate. Our entire building in ADA compliant with features such as seamless showers for added safety from falls. Each room in an apartment has a call button for requests or assistance. We also offer a pendant for those who feel the need for an extra layer of protection. Our Assisted Living residents enjoy the safety of electronically locked doors after hours so they can roam about the campus safely & freely in the evenings. Each of our apartments have large picture windows, offering more than one way to evacuate in an emergency. In situations such as fire, our residents shelter in place in their apartments. Staff is trained to calmly reassure residents during an emergency while assisting them to safety.

How does Parkwood Healthcare keep residents' families informed about their loved ones?

Parkwood keeps in touch with families via phone, text, and email with updates, photos of their loved one enjoying activities, or just to check in. Families are contacted for changes in condition or emergency situations and encouraged to participate in decisions involving their loved one.

What is the care staff-to-resident ratio at Parkwood Healthcare during daytime and nighttime hours?

There are two caregivers in each neighborhood 24 hours per day. Nottingham, our traditional Assisted Living neighborhood, has 32 apartments, as these residents require less physical care. Whereas Cambridge, our enhanced Assisted Living neighborhood has only 17 apartments with certified nurse's aides, and a nurse on staff 24 hours per day. In addition, each neighborhood has additional staff members moving about and tending to residents' needs during daytime hours.

What ongoing senior care training does the staff receive?

Parkwood continually refreshes training for the entire staff, not just the caregivers. From donning and doffing PPE to best practices, Parkwood provides regular InServices, in addition to personal, 1:1 training.

What safety features or security measures does Parkwood Healthcare provide to protect residents who wander?

Many of our Parkwood residents enjoy wandering about and are encouraged to do so in a healthy way, such as walking to our front lobby to read the paper or people watch. Should one veer off their normal path, redirection is employed. However, neither of our Assisted Living neighborhoods are appropriate for exit-seeking behavior.

What programs or activities does Parkwood Healthcare offer to keep residents engaged? How does the staff engage residents' long-term memories?

Residents with memory issues are welcome in our Assisted Living neighborhoods and will fit in well with our group. The majority of activity-based programming is intended to spark the mind and prompt residents to share memories. Staff also uses objects such as photos and memorabilia in a resident's apartment to prompt memories & conversations, building relationships of care & respect.

What techniques does Parkwood Healthcare use to support memory care residents during mealtimes?

Many of our Parkwood residents require prompting to eat or reminders to come to the dining room. Caregivers know the unique personal habits & preferences of each resident and provide subtle support accordingly.

Describe the neighborhood around Parkwood Healthcare. Is it located in a residential neighborhood, a business district, a rural setting, or other type of locale?

Parkwood offers a full continuum of care, from Independent Living, to Assisted Living, Rehab, Skilled Nursing, Long Term Care, and Memory Care, all on one campus. We are located on Parkview Lane between Westpark & Hospital Drive behind HEB Hospital, with a variety of physicians at our doorstep. Parkwood is the only set of buildings on the south side of Parkview. Behind us is greenspace, followed by a park.

Is Parkwood Healthcare affiliated with a hospital if more care is needed?

Parkwood is within eyesight of Texas Health Harris Methodist Hospital HEB in Bedford. If immediate care is needed, residents are transported to this hospital. However, if the situation is non-emergent, the hospital of one's choosing can be employed.

Costs for Parkwood Healthcare

• Meal Preparation

Training Areas

• Memory Care Training

About Parkwood Healthcare

Parkwood Healthcare Assisted Living residents enjoy their own private apartment homes in a park-like setting with an established community they can trust. From daily housekeeping to medical care, each resident receives a personalized combination of services, amenities, and activities to boost their independence, while enriching their mind, body, and spirit. We offer two Assisted living neighborhoods, based on each resident’s needs. Our Traditional neighborhood provides medication management, stand-by & reminder-type support services. Our Enhanced neighborhood offers an alternative for residents whose care needs exceed what traditional assisted living can meet, such as sliding scale insulin & ostomy care, but do not require 24-hour skilled nursing.

Parkwood is the only senior living community offering a full continuum of care in the HEB area. This enables us to handle the current and future needs of our residents. Parkwood Healthcare Community is managed by Life Care Services®, An LCS® Company.

Parkwood Healthcare is the proud recipient of the 2021 Best of Assisted Living award; This exclusive designation honors the top three percent of senior care providers across the United States and Canada.

Map of Parkwood Healthcare