Louisville, which is the largest city in Kentucky with a population of 617,638, is situated on the Ohio River, which borders the state of Indiana. About 14.5% of its residents are over the age of 65, and Louisville provides a number of resources and care options for its senior community. The city is home to excellent medical facilities and hospitals such as the University of Louisville Hospital and Baptist Health Hospital. The city provides nursing home care at $7,148, which is below the national average cost of $7,756, making Louisville a good option for seniors requiring full-time care.

Nursing home care is best suited to seniors who require full-time medical care and assistance. This option is for frail seniors and may not be the best option for everyone. Families of loved ones who need moderate medical services and in addition to personal care may want to look at other care options in Louisville such as assisted living and in-home care.

This guide aims to help seniors make the best care choice for their particular situation by looking at nursing home costs in Louisville and nearby cities, costs of alternative care options and free resources for seniors in Louisville.

Directory of Nursing Homes in Louisville, KY

Christian Health Center of Louisville, a Christian Care Community

920 South 4th Street, Louisville, KY, 40203

My family member was admitted with no history given. The staff are rude to her/him and never enter the room when I’m there no matter how long I stay. There is no compassion at this facility at all.

2015, 2016, 2020

The Forum at Brookside

200 Brookside Dr, Louisville, KY, 40243

For the most part of her stay my grandmother seemed to enjoy. The provided great meals and wonderful activities that keep other residents engaged daily, Most of her caregivers seemed to be helpful and … (read more)

Wesley Manor

5012 E. Manslick Road, Louisville, KY, 40219

Spread across a 35-acre campus near the Gene Snyder Freeway in Louisville, Kentucky, Wesley Manor advertises itself as a "Life Plan Retirement Community" because of the immense array of services provi … (read more)

Signature Healthcare of East Louisville

2529 SIX MILE LANE, Louisville, KY, 40220

Very nice place, clean, room is well equipped and private, staff are great, nurses, nurses aides and therapy, did a wonderful job with me to get me back on my feet. I highly recommand to anyone who ne … (read more)

Forest Springs Health Campus

4120 Wooded Acre Lane, Louisville, KY, 40245

Forest Springs Health Campus is an independent living, assisted living and respite care community east of Louisville, Kentucky, near the neighborhood of Bannon. The community offers private and semi-p … (read more)

Essex Nursing & Rehabilitation Center

9600 Lambourne Boulevard, Louisville, KY, 40272

I went through Essex Nursing and Rehabilitation Center. It’s a lot smaller, it’s not as nice looking, but I have a friend that works there, and she enjoys it because of the way they treat their peop … (read more)

Jefferson Place

1705 HERR LANE, Louisville, KY, 40222

The facility was great. The staff kept my spirits up while I was there. Therapy was the best. I am mow back home snd doing well. I thank the staff for helping me reach my goal of returning home

Masonic Home of Louisville

3701 Frankfort Ave, Louisville, KY, 40207

I visit a friend on a routine basis. The call bell has never been answered promptly, in fact, it is always over 30 minutes. The staff checks in on my friend sporadically; recently he was on the floo … (read more)

Little Sisters of the Poor

15 AUDUBON PLAZA DRIVE, Louisville, KY, 40217

My mother was in the Little Sisters of the Poor before she passed. It was very, very lovely, and it was just wonderful. It was a beautiful place, they had a chapel, and they had mass everyday. They ha … (read more)

Signature Healthcare of South Louisville

1120 Cristland Rd, Louisville, KY, 40214

My grandfather was a patient here for almost 2 months last fall. He had a hard time in the hospital and needed a lot of rehab before he could go back home. The staff at Signature South was great with … (read more)

Nazareth Home

2000 NEWBURG ROAD, Louisville, KY, 40205

most of the employees seem to love their jobs and show this by the care they give the the residents…there were some that didn’t however but when the problem was addressed they said "they were addres … (read more)

Westport Place Health Campus

4247 Westport Road, Louisville, KY, 40207

I went to Westport Place Health Campus, then I went somewhere else, and finally I came back to Westport Place. The facility was modern, built within the last fifteen years, had lots of acreage, and yo … (read more)

Presbyterian Homes of Louisville

2116 Buechel Bank Road, Louisville, KY, 40218

The Altenheim

936 Barret Avenue, Louisville, KY, 40204

My mom is in skilled care at The Altenheim as she took a turn for the worse, but they do offer care anywhere from independent living, assisted living, and skilled care. I think the independent living … (read more)

Episcopal Church Home

7504 WESTPORT ROAD, Louisville, KY, 40222

My mother has been receiving good care at the Episcopal Church Home. She is initially getting skilled care rehab and eventually will transition to restorative assisted living care. The staff and the n … (read more)

Treyton Oak Towers

211 WEST OAK STREET, Louisville, KY, 40203

Franciscan Health Care Center

3625 Fern Valley Road, Louisville, KY, 40219

I took my aunt to Franciscan Health Care Center for her rehab. She only had 20 days under Medicare guidelines, so after that I had to find her another place with a Medicaid bed. With this COVID issue, … (read more)

Regis Woods Care and Rehabilitation Center

4604 LOWE RD, Louisville, KY, 40220

My sister was placed in this facility during the Covid shutdown, so visitation was not an option. I would call weekly to check on her and was told "she’s fine". Was also told she wasn’t answering h … (read more)

Georgetown Manor

900 Gagel Avenue, Louisville, KY, 40216

Wanted to jot a note telling you how pleased I was with Georgetown Nursing Home & Rehabilitation Facility. Choosing a Rehab Facility that was safe, clean, and competent was important to me. I’ … (read more)

Klondike Care and Rehabilitation Center

3802 KLONDIKE LANE, Louisville, KY, 40218

My husband is at Klondike Care and Rehab Center. The staff is very caring. They interact with the patients constantly. Even on their breaks, they were outside with their patients. They always speak to … (read more)

Nursing Home Costs in Louisville, KY

The average monthly cost of nursing home care in Louisville is $7,148 for a semiprivate room and $8,334 for a private room.

The Cost of Nursing Home Care in Nearby Cities

According to the Genworth Cost of Care Survey 2020, the average cost of nursing home care in Louisville is $7,148. This is similar to the Kentucky state average of $7,330. Nursing home care in Louisville costs $608 per month less than the national average of $7,756. The nearby city of Lexington has a similar monthly average of $7,178, while other cities such as Bowling Green, Owensboro and Cincinnati in the neighboring state of Ohio, have a higher monthly cost.

$7148

Cincinnati

$8152

Lexington

The Cost of Other Types of Senior Care

Nursing home care in Louisville costs an average of $7,148 for a semi-private room per month and $8,334 for a private room per month. The cheapest option for senior care in Louisville is adult day health care at an average of $1,603 per month. The average cost for homemaker services is $4,195 per month and home health aide services cost an average of $4,385 per month. Assisted living communities have an average monthly charge of $4,557 in Louisville.

$7148

$4557

Assisted Living

Financial Assistance for Nursing Home Care in Louisville, KY

Free Resources for Seniors in Louisville, KY

The city of Louisville has a number of free resources for seniors in the community. These resources may help seniors with nursing home costs or assist them to age in place for a longer period of time.

ResourceContactService
ElderServe(502) 587-8673ElderServe is a nonprofit organization that has helped seniors age independently in their own homes since 1962. The program offers an adult day health care center that provides some much-needed respite for caregivers. A donation is requested for this service, but no senior is turned away if they can’t afford the donation. Additional services include senior companions to assist with running errands and meal prep, care management and matching seniors with volunteers who have similar interests for friendship.
Kentucky HealthOnline contact onlyKY Health, which is the Kentucky version of Medicaid, is a state and federally-funded program. Seniors over the age of 60 who require full-time medical care in a nursing care home may be eligible for free payment assistance. Seniors are required to contribute all their available income to the nursing home payment, and Medicaid picks up the rest of the payment. Seniors are allowed to keep a small amount of money to purchase necessities.
Senior Nutrition Program(502) 574-6375The Senior Nutrition Program is partially funded by the state, and the rest of the funding comes from donations. Volunteers deliver one hot meal each day to homebound seniors over the age of 60 who are unable to cook for themselves. The volunteers check on the seniors and make sure that they are healthy and don’t currently require additional assistance. There is no charge for this service but donations are greatly appreciated. Priority is given to those with the greatest social, physical and economic need for the service.