Jeffersonville is a mid-sized city in Clark County, Indiana. It has a population of 48,126, according to 2019 U.S. Census estimates. The city, which is located on the Ohio River close to the Indiana Border, is home to Victorian-era architecture, specialty museums such as the Howard Steamboat Museum and Mansion and hiking trails at Perrin Family Park. Jeffersonville is known for its low cost of living and generally pleasant climate. These features make the city a popular choice for seniors who are cost-conscious and want to have the option of enjoying outdoor activities year-round.

Assisted living facilities in Jeffersonville support seniors with reduced mobility or who struggle with the activities of daily living. They provide help with meal preparation, personal care and transportation. These communities are useful for seniors who are generally in good health and do not require nursing home care. The average cost of assisted living in Jeffersonville is $4,557 per month, which is near the Indiana state average of $4,573.

This guide looks at the cost of assisted living in Jeffersonville and the surrounding areas, as well as the benefits and downsides of choosing to retire in the city.

Directory of Assisted Living Facilities in Jeffersonville, IN

Riverbend

2715 Charlestown Pike, Jeffersonville, IN, 47130

We toured the assisted living of Riverbend, but even though we did not visit the separate building that is dedicated to memory care, I was very, very impressed with the detail they gave about their me … (read more)

Windsor Ridge Assisted Living

2700 Waters Edge Parkway, Jeffersonville, IN, 47130

Windsor Ridge was pretty nice. It was smaller than the other place we visited, so there weren’t as many residents there. It didn’t quite feel as homey. It felt more like an old-school nursing home. It … (read more)

Traditions at Hunter Station

400 Hunter Station Road, Sellersburg, IN, 47172

We visited Traditions at Hunter Station. I was very impressed with it. Everything about the place was excellent. We met with Jacqueline, she answered all of our questions and provided more information … (read more)

2022

Sunrise of Louisville

6700 Overlook Drive, Louisville, KY, 40241

Sunrise of Louisville is located in the eastern part of Kentucky’s largest city, approximately three miles southeast of the Ohio River and just south of Interstate 71. Residents and visitors appreciat … (read more)

Belmont Village St. Matthews

4600 Bowling Boulevard, Louisville, KY, 40207

Belmont Village St. Matthews is situated in Louisville, Kentucky, right on the edge of Norbourne Estates. Visitors are happy to see the memory care unit sectioned off into stages, which means each gue … (read more)

Bennett Place

3928 Horne Avenue, New Albany, IN, 47150

We went to Bennett Place Assisted Living Community. My overall experience with them was excellent. I thought it was a little dark. The other place had the best lighting, and Bennett Place had, I belie … (read more)

Creekside on Bardstown

3535 Bardstown Road, Louisville, KY, 40218

I toured Creekside on Bardstown and it was good. The staff there were helpful, and they showed me what I needed. They handed me a packet to share with my parents that had the discussion points. I know … (read more)

The Mansion on Main

1420 East Main St, New Albany, IN, 47150

I toured The Mansion on Main for my aunt, and what I like about it was she can actually afford it. The rooms are very nice. It has all the amenities, and it’s very close to where I reside. They have o … (read more)

Magnolia Springs Louisville

8225 Whipps Mill Road, Louisville, KY, 40222

Magnolia Springs Louisville was very nice and very efficient. The gal who arranged the tours got back to me several times just to see if we had come to any decision or anything, but the way it was lai … (read more)

Dominion Senior Living at Northfield

6000 Hunting Rd, Louisville, KY, 40222

I was very impressed with Dominion Senior Living at Northfield. We had an in-person meeting at their cafeteria because of COVID, but they put on a very good presentation. I’m very impressed with their … (read more)

BeeHive Homes of Louisville/Lyndon

8401 LaGrange Road, Lyndon, KY, 40222

We loved BeeHive Homes of Lyndon. It’s a wonderful place. It was smaller and I would give them an excellent review. We had a friend that was there for several years and they just raved about it. The r … (read more)

StoryPoint Prospect

6901 Carslaw Court, Prospect, KY, 40059

Thankful for this caring community. My father was apprehensive at first, but now is living his best life thanks to the amazing activity programs, 5-star dining, & quality wellness care!

Vitality Living St. Matthews

120 South Hubbards Lane, Louisville, KY, 40207

I liked the fact that Vitality Living St. Matthews seemed to care about their residents. I visited their assisted living. They have a refrigerator and microwave in the room that I saw. The staff that … (read more)

Masonic Home of Louisville

3701 Frankfort Avenue, Louisville, KY, 40207

My brother has been a mason for twenty five to forty years. He always said that if he ever had to do something, Masonic Home is where he would like to go. That is why we are choosing them. They have s … (read more)

Hellenic Senior Living Of New Albany

2632 Grant Line Rd, New Albany, IN, 47150

I’ve been living in Hellenic Senior Living. It was a new building when I moved in here. It’s a beautiful building. It’s a nice place to be. It’s very comfortable. They are being very cautious and very … (read more)

Westport Place Health Campus

4247 Westport Road, Louisville, KY, 40207

My mother-in-law was in Westport Place. It was a nice facility with nursing care around the clock and nice rooms. Every second Sunday of the month, they have a brunch for the family, and my mother-in- … (read more)

Presbyterian Homes of Louisville

2116 Buechel Bank Road, Louisville, KY, 40218

My aunt is in Presbyterian Homes Westminster. I only have one concern. When I talked to the social services about her, she was having an issue where they didn’t have her sit up for a little while. I’m … (read more)

Treyton Oak Towers

211 W Oak St, Louisville, KY, 40203

Treyton Oak Towers was an excellent facility. When I walked in I was really impressed. It was very clean, the staff was very friendly and wonderful. I would live there!

The Altenheim

936 Barret Avenue, Louisville, KY, 40204

The Villages at Historic Silvercrest

1 Silvercrest Drive, New Albany, IN, 47150

I lived in the Villages at Historic Silvercrest. It was very cold, and the residents were not friendly. The staff was very friendly, the food was very good, but it was not conducive to one big happy f … (read more)

What to Consider About Assisted Living in Jeffersonville

Assisted living facilities in Jeffersonville are overseen by the Indiana Department of Health and are licensed under the Residential Care Facility Licensing Program. Facilities are required to meet care standards and to conform to health and safety and staff training expectations. The IDOH conducts regular inspections to ensure facilities are operating in accordance with those requirements.

Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Jeffersonville

• Jeffersonville sees an average of 195 sunny days per year. Summers are warm, and there is some snow in the winter. Overall, the weather in Jeffersonville is more comfortable than in most other parts of Indiana.
  • The cost of living in Jeffersonville is lower than the national average. This means the city is a good choice for cost-conscious seniors who want to make their retirement income go as far as possible.
  • Social Security retirement benefits are exempt from income tax in Indiana, and property taxes are lower than average. This makes the state relatively tax-friendly for many seniors. Income from pensions and retirement savings accounts is taxable, however.
  • Rates of property crime and violent crime in Jeffersonville are both slightly above the national average. Most assisted living facilities have CCTV and are staffed 24 hours a day, so seniors can feel safe while they are living in the facility. Many assisted living communities offer transportation services, too, so residents can get around the city for errands and medical appointments without having to travel by themselves.
  • Seniors should have little difficulty accessing medical care in Jeffersonville. The Clark Memorial Hospital and Kentuckiana Medical Center are both located in the city. Many Medicare-registered physicians and pharmacies are located in the area, making it easy for seniors to access the ongoing medical services they need.
  • The Transit Authority of River City (TARC) offers a paratransit service with accessible buses for those who struggle to use standard public transit services. This service provides door-to-door transportation for a fixed fee and may help seniors attend gatherings at local clubs or senior centers, go shopping or otherwise engage with the local community.

Paying for Assisted Living in Jeffersonville

The average cost of assisted living in Jeffersonville is $4,557, according to the Genworth Financial Cost of Care Survey 2020. This figure is similar to the Indiana average of $4,573 per month. The median across the United States is $4,300.

The Cost of Assisted Living in Nearby Cities

With assisted living fees of $4,557 per month, Jeffersonville’s costs are close to the state average. Assisted living is much more affordable in Columbus ($3,225) and Fort Wayne ($3,500). Fees are similar in nearby Evansville ($4,455) and to the north in Kokomo ($4,516). Seniors can also expect to pay a similar amount in Michigan City, where assisted living typically costs $4,585 per month.

$4557

Fort Wayne

$4585

Michigan City

The Cost of Other Types of Senior Care

Seniors living in the Jeffersonville area have a choice of several types of long-term care. The most affordable option is adult day care, which is delivered during daytime hours and costs just $1,603 per month. Homemaker services are delivered in a senior’s own home, costing $4,195 for personal care assistance or $4,385 for skilled health care. Nursing homes are the most expensive facilities, charging $7,148 for a semiprivate room and $8,334 for a private room and 24-hour skilled nursing care.

$4195

Adult Day Health Care

$4557

Assisted Living Facility

$7148

Nursing Home Facility (semiprivate room)

$8334

Nursing Home Facility (private room)

Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Jeffersonville

Indiana’s Regional Care Assistance Program (RCAP) helps seniors pay for the monthly cost of assisted living. The state also offers a Medicaid Waiver program, but it only covers costs for seniors residing in an RCF.

Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Indiana page.

Paying for Assisted Living Facilities in Indiana

More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living

• Veterans Benefits
  • Life Insurance Policy
  • Long-Term Care Insurance
  • Reverse Mortgage

For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Indiana page.

Free Assisted Living Resources in Jeffersonville

Many nonprofit organizations and local government organizations offer help for seniors who reside in an assisted living facility or are considering transitioning to one. These organizations provide support in the form of benefits counseling, advice and wellness activities.

Resource

Contact

Service

Lifespan Resources is the Area Agency on Aging that serves Clark County. It offers information, care management and wellness programs. Lifespan Resources oversees the long-term care ombudsman who investigates complaints and addresses concerns for seniors living in long-term care and their loved ones. It also runs a senior transportation service in the area and runs congregate meal sites to support older adults who struggle to shop and cook for themselves.

Adult Protective Services investigates reports of elder abuse and neglect and offers support for victims. It raises awareness of elder abuse-related issues and encourages collaboration between public, private and voluntary sector organizations to improve the welfare of older adults.

The Jefferson County Veterans Service Office helps former servicemen and women understand the complexities of the VA benefits system. Veterans and their surviving spouses can seek advice from the County Veterans Service Officer (CVSO), who is trained to help veterans access pensions, benefits, disability compensation and other aid. The CVSO can help with completing forms, understanding eligibility requirements and appealing in cases where benefit applications have been declined.

Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Jeffersonville

Jeffersonville-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Indiana are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Indiana page for more information about these laws.

Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Indiana