The Show-Me State is an appealing retirement destination with its comfortable four-season climate and reasonable cost of living. Essentials like groceries, health care, utilities and transportation cost less than the national average, and housing is particularly affordable. With nine metropolitan areas and 19 regional hubs, residents have access to quality medical care and innovative research opportunities at top-rated facilities, such as the Barnes-Jewish Hospital in St. Louis and St. Luke’s Hospital of Kansas City. The state also has a significant number of independent living facilities and continuing care retirement communities.

Seniors who want to take advantage of maintenance-free accommodations, gourmet dining and fun recreational activities typically pay $1,950 per month for independent living without personal care in Missouri. Older adults who need day-to-day assistance or access to on-call staff members may be better candidates for assisted living. If you want to learn more about your options, this guide includes information about average prices, possible payment methods and local agencies that can help you maintain your independence.

The Cost of Independent Living in Missouri

Note: Seniors who don’t need the added layer of care provided in Assisted Living but still want to live among their peers may find the ideal setting in an Independent Living community. To compare costs of Independent Living in the states and cities below, we decreased the average cost of Assisted Living reported in the 2021 Genworth Financial Cost of Care Survey by 35% because Independent Living is usually cheaper by 30-40%.

At an average cost of $1,950, Independent Living in Missouri is almost $1,000 less than the national average of $2,925. Compared to adjacent states, Missouri is lower than all of them. The biggest difference is in Kansas where the average cost of $2,977 is higher than the national average. Illinois’ cost of $2,917 is slightly less than the national average but still nearly $1,000 higher than Missouri’s. Oklahoma is closer in cost but still higher by $556, and Arkansas is closer still with a difference of $494.

$1950

$2506

Oklahoma

$2444

Arkansas

The most populous city in Missouri also has one of the highest average costs of Independent Living. Kansas City averages $2,980 per month, higher than the national average. St. Louis’ average cost is lower than the national average but still higher than the state average at $2,665 per month. Cities with lower costs than the state average include Joplin at $127 and Jefferson City at $601 less.

$2980

$1823

Joplin

$1349

Jefferson City

Nursing Home Care is the most expensive type of senior care and averages $5,262 for semiprivate rooms or $5,931 for private rooms in Missouri. Seniors wanting care in their homes can expect to pay an average of $4,767 for either In-Home Care or Home Health Care, with the latter offering more hands-on care. Assisted Living averages $3,000 and Adult Day Health Care runs $1,907, which is only $43 less than Independent Living.

$1950

In-Home Care

$4767

Home Health Care

$5262

Nursing Home Care (semiprivate room)

$5931

Nursing Home Care (private room)

Can You Use Medicare or Medicaid to Pay for Independent Living in Missouri?

Unfortunately, you cannot use Medicaid and Medicare to help pay the monthly fee for residing in an Independent Living community. For seniors who need help with Activities of Daily Living (ADLs), there may be financial assistance programs available to help cover the cost of care in Independent Living. For more information about financial assistance for those who need a higher level of care, read our guide to Assisted Living in Missouri.

Read on for more information about using alternative means to make Independent Living more affordable, such as retirement funds, the sale of a home, etc.

Paying for Independent Living in Missouri

If you’re considering independent living, you’ll most likely have to pay for these services out-of-pocket using retirement benefits or investment income. Programs like Medicaid and Medicare will pay for in-home medical services and personal care typically offered in assisted living facilities, but they don’t cover room and board. The same is true for long-term care insurance, which may pay for personal care attendants and home health aides who help with errands, shopping, driving or meal preparation if you have this coverage. Additionally, rates vary depending on the type of accommodations that you select, so there are apartments and cottages for most budgets. You can learn more about possible payment options in our guide to independent living.

Independent Living Resources in Missouri

If you’re ready to plan for the future, the following state agencies can help you assess your needs and identify appropriate services. Additional resources designed to promote healthy aging may be available through senior centers, county offices, the municipal government and local nonprofits.

Resource
Contact
Service
Part of the Department of Health & Senior Services, the Division of Senior and Disability Services manages several programs that benefit older adults. It protects seniors from abuse and exploitation and encourages independent living by supporting residents who want to remain in the least restrictive setting. Seniors can learn more about transportation programs, home health aides and long-term care benefits through this state agency.
Missouri has 10 Area Agencies on Aging & Services that were established in the 1970s as part of the Older Americans Act. These nonprofit, government-affiliated organizations help older adults access in-home care, community-based services, low-cost meals and other supports. They offer information, referrals, and direct assistance. Disabled adults and family caregivers also qualify for many programs.
Medicare and Medicaid can help pay for some forms of long-term care provided in a residential setting, such as an independent living facility. If you have questions about your benefits or need help comparing plans or applying for Medicare financial assistance, this agency can help. Consultations are free to new and current Medicare beneficiaries and their families. Counselors can even help with long-term care insurance.
Missouri’s Long-Term Care Ombudsman Program is made possible by a network of regional volunteers who visit licensed health care facilities, interact with residents and help seniors take proactive steps toward protecting and exercising their rights. They provide informational services to individuals considering assisted or independent living, and they have the authority to accept and investigate complaints.
The Missouri Senior Legal Helpline is a free service sponsored by the Department of Health and Senior Services, Division of Senior and Disability Service. It’s open to adults aged 60 and older who have questions about civil legal issues, such as wills, advance directives, powers of attorney, government benefits, health care decision-making or consumer rights.
This annual Olympic-style event is designed to encourage health, wellness and competition among older adults. Amateur athletes, sports fans and administrative volunteers aged 50 and older are invited to participate. Tournaments are available for a variety of popular sports, including golf, tennis, pickleball, softball, archery, swimming and bowling.

COVID-19 Rules for Independent Living in Missouri

The following information is based on research done on several government websites, including ltc.health.mo.gov. These rules apply to Independent Living Communities and other types of senior living facilities. We’ve most recently updated this data on 2/8/2022, but since COVID-19 is a rapidly evolving pandemic, contact your local senior living facility or Area Agency on Aging for more specific and up-to-date information.

Visitation Policies

Rules for Missouri Communities

Are loved ones allowed to visit to provide emotional support?

Yes (Conditions Apply)

Are relatives allowed to visit for end-of-life care?

Are residents required to quarantine after visiting with a loved one?

Are visitors required to wear PPE (including masks) in order to visit residents?

Are non-medical contractors (such as hairdressers and entertainers) allowed in senior living facilities?

Are visitors checked for elevated temperatures?

Are visitors required to answer questions about health, travel, and potential virus contact?

Outings & Social Activities

Rules for Missouri Communities

Are residents allowed to leave (errands, visiting family, etc.) for non-medical reasons?

Are residents who leave required to quarantine when they return?

No (Conditions Apply)

Are senior living communities required to cancel all group outings?

Are residents allowed to eat meals together in a common area?

Yes (Conditions Apply)

Are residents allowed to gather in common areas for group activites?

COVID-19 Safety Measures for Staff and Residents

Rules for Missouri Communities

Are staff members regularly required to do a temperature check?

Are staff members regularly tested for COVID-19?

Yes (Conditions Apply)

Are staff members members regularly required to do a health and safety screening, including questions about travel, contact with positive cases, etc?

Are residents regularly screened for COVID-19 symptoms?

Are residents regularly checked for elevated temperatures?

Are residents regularly tested for COVID-19?

Find Independent Living Communities in Missouri

Use the tool below to find Independent Living Communities near you – if you’d like to search in a specific city in Washington, simply put that in the search bar below.

2017, 2018, 2020, 2021, 2022

Holiday Orchid Terrace

4474 Butler Hill Rd, St. Louis, MO, 63128

I have toured Orchid Terrace. It’s only independent living, but they offer some third-party services. It’s very nice. It’s a top-tier senior living center. The environment is upscale and very pleasant … (read more)

Estates of Hidden Lake

11728 Hidden Lake Dr., St. Louis, MO, 63138

The Estates of Hidden Lake is very nice, it’s quiet and everything is in good order. My mom is in their independent living. The staff is extremely friendly. The apartments are very spacious, clean, an … (read more)

Pacific Place Retirement Community

45 South Old Orchard Avenue, St. Louis, MO, 63119

I went to see Pacific Place in St. Louis. Everybody seemed friendly. There’s a smaller set of people, and there’s lots of green space. They have an area for barbecue and stuff like that. There’s a res … (read more)

Garden Villas South

13457 Tesson Ferry Road, St. Louis, MO, 63128

We toured Garden Villas South. It was very nice. They have a full kitchen, but they cost more unless you have a roommate. They have the ability to have a roommate, which was a two-bedroom, two-bath ap … (read more)

Tower Grove Manor

2710 South Grand Blvd, St. Louis, MO, 63118

Tower Grove Manor is wonderful. The whole staff members are terrific. I could not ask for better people. The building is kept clean. They are refurbishing a 100-year-old building that has been let go, … (read more)

Our Lady of Life Apartments

7655 Watson Rd., St. Louis, MO, 63119

One bedroom apartments are small and has updated appliances. Property well maintained and shine bright during Christmas holidays. Walking paths are easily accessible.

Bethesda Terrace

2535 Oakmont Terrace Drive, St. Louis, MO, 63129

We’re moving to Bethesda Terrace. Our visit was very good, and the food was good. The tour was excellent. The rooms were excellent, they have a full kitchen with all new appliances, and two bathrooms … (read more)

Alexian Court Apartments

2636 Chippewa Street, St. Louis, MO, 63118

I just moved in here after my apartment elsewhere caught fire. I was a little concerned about doing so since a senior living community was new to me. I rent an efficiency apartment which also had me a … (read more)

St. Andrews

6633 Delmar Boulevard, St. Louis, MO, 63130

St. Andrew’s Apartments is nice. It’s like a three-story building and there are 50 apartments inside. I like it here. The staff is very nice. We have everything inside.

The Garden Plaza of Florissant

1101 Garden Plaza Dr., Florissant, MO, 63033

I’ve lived in my cozy, 2 bedroom, 2 bath Independent home for about 2 years; and I’m still waking up every morning smiling. The little homes are kept up meticulously. I want to address the fears of re … (read more)

St. Louis Altenheim

5408 South Broadway, Saint Louis, MO, 63111

Kingsland Walk Senior Living

868 Kingsland Avenue, University City, MO, 63130

Clarendale Clayton

7651 Clayton Road, Clayton, MO, 63117

I went to Clarendale Clayton. I saw the interiors, a number of different apartments or suites, a fitness area, and the restaurants. I got a pretty complete tour of the facility. The location was very … (read more)

The Villas of Holly Brook and Reflections Memory Care: Collinsville

121 South Bluff Road, Collinsville, IL, 62234

We found The Villas of Holly Brook and Reflections Memory Care. It’s new. They’ve never had a COVID case. I think it’s about a year old, it’s very nice, and it’s much more affordable than the older on … (read more)

Garden Villas North

4505 Parker Road, Florissant, MO, 63033

The main reason I chose Garden Villas North was location which was near my house. And I love it.

Garden Place Columbia

480 DD Road, Columbia, IL, 62236

Garden Place Columbia was smaller and had less flexibility for the residents in what they wanted to do. We wanted to be able to go over there and visit my sister and then eat with her, which was fine … (read more)

Cedarhurst of Tesson Heights

12335 W. Bend Drive, Saint Louis, MO, 63128

Located just off Interstate 270 in Saint Louis, Missouri, Tesson Heights provides convenient access to Mercy Hospital South and Southfield Center shopping mall. According to guests, this is a clean fa … (read more)

2017, 2018

Crestview Senior Living

8660 Grant Road, Crestwood, MO, 63123

I lived in Crestview Senior Living’s independent living for about 8 months. I left because my needs were different, and I felt I could save more money if I wasn’t living in a senior community. It was … (read more)

Cedarhurst of Granite City

3450 Village Ln, Granite City, IL, 62040

2020

Brentmoor Retirement Community

8600 Delmar Boulevard, Saint Louis, MO, 63124

Located in St. Louis, Missouri, Brentmoor Retirement Community is near Interstate 170, Bosley Medical and Irv Zeid Park. According to visitors, the facility is clean and well maintained, and staff mem … (read more)