20 Assisted Living Facilities near Reading, PA
There are 20 Assisted Living Facilities in the Reading area, with 10 in Reading and 10 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Reading is $3,523 per month. This is higher than the national median of $3,420.
To help you with your search, browse the 68 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Reading. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Reading 4.1 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Wyomissing with an average rating of 4.3 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped 5 families in Reading find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Reading, call (855) 863-8283.
10 Assisted Living Facilities in Reading, PA
10 Assisted Living Facilities near Reading, PA
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Reading
Reading Railroad is immortalized on the American Monopoly board and seniors can explore this piece of Reading history at the Reading Railroad Heritage Museum. The city is also home to more than 88,000 people and 9.5 percent of residents are aged 65 and older. There are 23 assisted living facilities in the area that cater to seniors, which are licensed and monitored by the Department of Human Services' Office of Long-Term Living.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Reading
- The Reading area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Reading Hospital, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- Reading has many options for seniors who enjoy art and culture. The Ceramic Art and Culture Institute has a gallery and there are workshops and classes available that may interest seniors who want to explore their creative side. The Santander Performing Arts Center also offers residents the opportunity to see concerts and plays in the heart of Reading.
- Berks Area Regional Transportation Authority (BARTA) provides public transport in Reading. Riders aged 65 and older who have a valid ID are eligible for free transport. BARTA also has Special Services, a door-to-door, shared-ride service for people not well-served by the regular service.
- Reading has an array of community resources for seniors, including the Berks County Area Agency on Aging, an organization that provides services and advocates for older residents as well as more than five senior centers.
- Berks County, including Reading, has poor air quality. The State of the Air 2018 report gave the city a failing grade for ozone pollution and a D grade for 24-hour particle pollution. This may lead to poor health outcomes for seniors with respiratory conditions.
- Taxpayers in Reading who are aged 60 or above do not need to pay state income tax on any retirement income. The state sales tax rate is relatively low and many common products are exempt, including groceries and prescription drugs, which can help the budget of seniors on a fixed income.
Paying for Assisted Living in Reading
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Pennsylvania
Assisted Living costs in Reading start around $3,523 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Reading and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Reading
Financial help for assisted living in the Reading area may be available through a Personal Care Home Boarding Supplement. Otherwise, options are limited to private pay, long-term care insurance and veteran's benefits, according to the Pennsylvania Assisted Living Association. Pennsylvania waiver programs through Home and Community Based Services (HCBS), which allow the use of Medicaid monies to help pay for daily living support, only apply to higher levels of care, such as nursing homes.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Pennsylvania page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Pennsylvania page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Reading
Reading and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Reading, please visit our Assisted Living in Pennsylvania page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Reading
Reading-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Pennsylvania are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Pennsylvania page for more information about these laws.
Assisted Living near Reading, PA
Other Options in Reading, PA
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Reading
Review of The Heritage of Green Hills
My mother has moved into Green Hills Manor at The Heritage. So far, so good. They offer assistance with getting dressed, bathing, and personal hygiene. The accommodation is very adequate. The facil... Read more
Review of Manor at Market Square
Visiting friends at the Manor has always been a pleasurable experience. From the garden entrance to the crackling fireplace in the atrium to the friendly staff and delicious meals, I always feel re... Read more
Review of The Heritage of Green Hills
Green Hills Manor at Heritage is a wonderful, caring place. I'd recommend it to anyone looking for personal care. Read more