29 Assisted Living Facilities near Wyomissing, PA
There are 29 Assisted Living Facilities in the Wyomissing area, with 2 in Wyomissing and 27 nearby.
To help you with your search, browse the 93 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Wyomissing. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Wyomissing 4.1 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Wernersville with an average rating of 4.6 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Wyomissing, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 10 Assisted Living Facilities in Wyomissing, PA
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Wyomissing
Wyomissing, which was founded in 1906, is a borough in Berks County, Pennsylvania. The community has a variety of points of interest for seniors to enjoy, including the Reading Public Museum, where seniors are admitted for a discounted rate. This museum features numerous exhibits, a planetarium and a 25-acre arboretum.
To support the senior population, Wyomissing has two assisted living facilities, and there are an additional 42 facilities nearby. Here, assisted living facilities are officially called "assisted living residences" or "personal care homes," depending on the level of care they provide. Assisted living residences are licensed and monitored by the Department of Aging, Office of Long-Term Living, Division of Licensing, while personal care homes are licensed through the Department of Public Welfare, Adult Residential Licensing.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Wyomissing
- The cost of living in Wyomissing is about 7 percent higher than both the state and national averages. While seniors can expect transportation costs to be roughly the same as they'd be in other cities, they can expect to pay about 18 percent more on groceries and health care.
- Wyomissing's climate brings hot summers with temperatures in the mid-80s and cold winters with lows around 22 degrees. The region gets a little less snowfall than the nationwide average, which may be appealing to seniors who enjoy local travel.
- Berks County has poor air quality, receiving an F for ozone pollution and a D for 24-hour particle pollution from the American Lung Association. This may impact the health and quality of life of seniors who have respiratory or cardiovascular illnesses.
- Wyomissing seniors do not pay income tax on their Social Security benefits or income from retirement accounts. Additionally, pension income is tax-exempt for recipients over the age of 60.
- Local transit in Wyomissing is provided by BARTA, which provides fixed routes and shared bus ride service throughout the region. Seniors ride all routes for free when they show proper ID.
- The Wyomissing area has no facilities from which to choose in the event of a medical emergency or illness, with the nearest major hospital located in West Reading.
Paying for Assisted Living in Wyomissing
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Pennsylvania
Assisted Living costs in Wyomissing start around $0 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Wyomissing and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Wyomissing
While Pennsylvania does not have any assistance programs to help seniors pay for assisted living, the state does provide a state supplement to the federal Supplemental Security Income (SSI) payment. Seniors who qualify for SSI can use this benefit to cover the cost of their care.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Pennsylvania page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Pennsylvania page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Wyomissing
Wyomissing and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Wyomissing, please visit our Assisted Living in Pennsylvania page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Wyomissing
Wyomissing-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Pennsylvania are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Pennsylvania page for more information about these laws.
Assisted Living near Wyomissing, PA
Other Options in Wyomissing, PA
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Wyomissing
Review of Country Meadows of Wyomissing (Berks County)
My father has been a resident for more than 5 years. Initially, I was impressed with the facilities. For the first few years, my father was proud to call Country Meadows his home. No longer--he ... Read more
Review of Country Meadows of Wyomissing (Berks County)
If I could give less than one star I would do it. A friend of the family was finally convinced by her family (3 of 4 members) to move to independent living and surrender her house. She loved her... Read more
Review of Columbia Cottage Wyomissing
We visited Columbia Cottage-Wyomissing, and the experience was very good, but it's just a little bit costly. The apartments were very nice. They gave us a basic tour. We saw the dining area, but we... Read more