Bowie is a small city with a rich history and an abundance of attractions for retirees. Of the city’s 58,000 residents, almost 15% are aged 65 and older and these seniors can enjoy the city’s strong arts scene, abundant green spaces and myriad of services available to support them as they age. In addition, Bowie is close to Baltimore, Annapolis and Washington, D.C., so residents can easily access big-city amenities when needed.

Assisted living facilities are good options for seniors who need some help with daily living, but don’t require the 24-hour medical care found in a nursing home. These communities provide rooms, meals and a range of activities and amenities, in addition to offering assistance with tasks such as personal care and housekeeping. In Bowie, the average cost of assisted living care is $5,000 per month, which is equal to the Maryland average.

This guide provides an overview of assisted living in Bowie, with information about the benefits and drawbacks of assisted living in the city, average monthly care costs and free resources that are available to Bowie’s senior population.

Directory of Assisted Living Facilities in Bowie, MD

Brookdale Woodward Estates

14997 Health Center Drive, Bowie, MD, 20716

My mother moved into Brookdale Woodward Estates in April. The first week or so, I had to go toe to toe with a couple of people about some of their staff procedures. My mother called me at almost 6:00 … (read more)

Charter Senior Living at Bowie

7600 Laurel Bowie Road, Bowie, MD, 20715

I toured Charter Senior Living at Bowie for my aunt. I thought the building was very nice, what I saw there was very nice as well, this would be a great place for her to live. The staff members were a … (read more)

Russell Residence

3608 Baskerville Dr, Bowie, MD, 20721

Russell Residence is nice and has a home setting. It’s close to my home and is in a residential neighborhood. My aunt seems to like it, so far. She’s not with a lot of other patients, it is a nice siz … (read more)

Bowie Assisted Living, Inc.

12001 Lanham Severn Rd, Bowie, MD, 20720

Bowie Assisted Living, Inc. had a lot of character. People were up and about. Some were in their rooms, some were getting their nails done, some were playing games, and some were watching TV. The owne … (read more)

Access Care Assisted Living

3903 Claxton Pl, Bowie, MD, 20715

Access Care Assisted Living was clean and very open. I saw people working with other residents. Some were playing games and some were watching television. Everyone was out and about. No one was really … (read more)

Resilient Care Assisted Living

10807 Maiden Dr, Bowie, MD, 20720

I toured the Resilient Care Assisted Living and they were very friendly. The staff showed me everything, took the time to talk to me, and we talked to some of the residents there too. We walked throug … (read more)

Holy Hills Assisted Living

2808 Folsom Lane, Bowie, MD, 20715

Holy Hills Assisted Living was clean and bright. It was a smaller home, which is what I was looking for. There was a lot of sunlight coming into it. Everyone was friendly and very knowledgeable. I was … (read more)

A.C.E. Assisted Living, LLC

First Option Assisted Living

12902 Old Chapel Road, Bowie, MD, 20720

Glory Days Assisted Living

15400 Mount Oak Road, Bowie, MD, 20716

Glory Days Assisted is a single family house located on a major side street but quiet neighborhood, and I thought it was excellent. They may not have the big kitchens, big facilities to serve 50 and 1 … (read more)

Ovalstone Comfort Home

13221 Ovalstone Lane, Bowie, MD, 20715

Ovalstone is a residential care home. It’s similar to a nursing home, but it’s in an actual home. Right now, there are three patients who are there. We chose it because of the cost. In addition to tha … (read more)

Ameristar Assisted Living, Inc. III

12107 Tulip Grove Drive, Bowie, MD, 20715

Mom has been in Ameristar for two months now. She’s very happy there. There are three residents, including Mom. The staff was very patient. They cook what Mom wants, so it’s very good.

Bethel Assisted Living Homes II

1416 Kings Manor Drive, Bowie, MD, 20721

My sister is at Bethel Assisted Living Homes. It’s only about 20 minutes from where I live. It has a total of four residents, and my sister is the youngest resident because she is only 47. Bethel Assi … (read more)

Ne’ville’s LLC

4101 Chelmont Lane, Bowie, MD, 20715

I didn’t have any problems with Ne’ville’s Assisted Living (Ne’ville’s Llc). The rooms were very adequate, private, large, well-kept and very nice. They have movies, card games, and entertainment. The … (read more)

Tribute at Melford

17300 Melford Boulevard, Bowie, MD, 20715

Both my sister and brother-in-law are at Tribute at Melford. We chose it because that was a place that my brother-in-law had seen, and he was impressed with it. A lot of the places are very large and … (read more)

Rose’s Place

13426 Overbrook Lane, Bowie, MD, 20715

I am a granddaughter of a resident at Rose’s Place and I have been to visit my grandmother a few times in the last month and i must say this place keeps them active. I love going in and they are danci … (read more)

What to Consider About Assisted Living in Bowie

The Assisted Living Unit is a unit within the Maryland Department of Health, Office of Health Care Quality. It oversees the licensing and regulation of assisted living facilities in Maryland and investigates complaints.

Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Bowie

• Seniors in Bowie have access to excellent medical facilities in the city in case of emergency or illness. As the city is located close to both Baltimore and Washington, D.C., seniors can also access first-class medical facilities with geriatric specializations, such as Johns Hopkins Hospital.
  • Social Security retirement benefits are exempt from taxation in Maryland. Other retirement income is taxed; however, there is a deduction for people aged 65 and older on income from public pensions and retirement plans. There are also no city or state sales taxes in Maryland, so the most Bowie residents pay is 6%, which can assist senior budgets.
  • The American Lung Association gives Prince George’s County a mixed score for air quality, with an F for ozone pollution and an A grade for particle pollution. Seniors in Bowie can enjoy fresh air free from particle pollution, but those with lung conditions may wish to discuss any concerns with their doctor.
  • In Bowie, both violent crime and property crime occur at rates lower than the state average. In addition, Bowie’s crime rate is lower than average when compared to cities of a similar size, which can help seniors feel safe in the community.
  • Bowie’s overall cost of living is more than 28% higher than the national average and also higher than the Maryland average. Despite this, healthcare costs are lower than average, which can help budget-conscious seniors, and Maryland has a number of programs designed to help older adults pay for assisted living.
  • The Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority provides public transport services to Bowie. Routes run through the city and county and can also connect residents to the rest of Maryland and Washington, D.C. Seniors pay a reduced fare for transit services and can access the paratransit service, MetroAccess, if they have difficulty using regular services.

Paying for Assisted Living in Bowie

The Genworth 2020 Cost of Care Care Survey shows that assisted living in Bowie costs an average of $5,000 per month, same as the Maryland average. However, the national average is $700 lower at $4,300 per month.

The Cost of Assisted Living in Nearby Cities

At $5,000 per month, Bowie is among the more affordable cities for assisted living in Maryland. In Salisbury, seniors pay $5,500 per month, and in California, the cost rises to $6,200. In nearby Washington, D.C., assisted living averages $6,000. Hagerstown has the most affordable assisted living in Maryland, with seniors paying $4,500 monthly, $500 less than those in Bowie.

Bowie

Salisbury

$6000

Washington, D.C.

The Cost of Other Types of Senior Care

Assisted living is not the only type of senior care available in Bowie. Older adults who wish to remain living at home can take advantage of homemaker or home health aide services, which cost $4,671 and $4,957 respectively. Adult day health care is an affordable choice, at $1,896 monthly. Nursing homes provide the highest level of care but are also the least affordable option at $11,984 for a semiprivate room and $12,805 for a private room.

$4671

Homemaker Services

$4957

Home Health Aide

$1896

Adult Day Health Care

Assisted Living Facility

$11984

Nursing Home Facility (semiprivate room)

$12805

Nursing Home Facility (private room)

Note: Data for Bowie was unavailable, so data for the nearest city, Baltimore, was used instead.

Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Bowie

Seniors in the Maryland area may be eligible for assistance with funding from the Senior Assisted Living Group Home Subsidy program

Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Maryland page.

Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Bowie

More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living

• Veterans Benefits
  • Life Insurance Policy
  • Long-Term Care Insurance
  • Reverse Mortgage

For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Maryland page.

Free Assisted Living Resources in Bowie

Seniors who live in or are considering moving to an assisted living facility have access to a range of helpful resources in Bowie and the surrounding area. Government agencies and nonprofit organizations provide free support and services that can help older adults, including social activities, benefits counseling and health programs.

ResourceContact Service
Bowie Senior Center(301) 809-2300Bowie Senior Center is a gathering place for the city’s adults aged 55 and over. It has a range of programs that help seniors stay active, including educational classes, clubs and day trips. Seniors wishing to stay healthy can use the fitness room, join one of the many exercise classes or attend a seminar about healthy lifestyles. In addition, the Senior Center provides information about a range of topics concerning seniors, can refer people to other resources and has a nutrition program.
Bowie Senior Transportation(301) 809-2324City of Bowie Transportation Services has curb-to-curb transportation available to seniors and people with disabilities. The transport can take seniors to medical appointments, shopping, Senior Center activities and other places within the city limits. There is a fee of $1 each way, and a lift-equipped bus is available.
Prince George’s County, Department of Aging(301) 265-8450Prince George’s County Department of Aging acts as the Area Agency on Aging for the area. The department offers a range of programs to assist seniors, including health insurance counseling, health promotion, nutrition and volunteer programs. Seniors interested in assisted living can learn about financial assistance programs through the department, including Medicaid waivers, Community First Choice and the Senior Assisted Living Group Home Subsidy Program.
Prince George’s County, Office of Veterans Affairs(301) 780-8260Seniors who served in the United State’s military can find services and support through the Prince George’s County Office of Veterans Affairs. The department can help veterans and their families claim benefits and find housing, and also has programs to support the mental and physical health of veterans.

Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Bowie

Bowie-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Maryland are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Maryland page for more information about these laws.

Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Bowie