98 Assisted Living Facilities near Bowie, MD
With an average cost of $3,786 in Bowie, it’s often difficult to find assisted living communities that provide high-quality care at an affordable price. At Caring.com, our mission is to make this process as smooth and painless as possible, and we’ve helped many families along the way.
This guide provides everything you need to quickly compare communities and narrow your search, including 66 unique reviews from residents and our comprehensive database that gives pricing, amenity information, photos and more on the 27 facilities in Bowie.
Top 10 Assisted Living Facilities in Bowie, MD
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Bowie
The small city of Bowie, Maryland is well-recognized by different ranking bodies for its development, healthy community and convenient accessibility to Baltimore, Annapolis and Washington, D.C., giving seniors an uncompromised quality of life. With the motto "Growth, Unity and Progress," Bowie is home to 25 assisted living facilities which provide housing, supportive services and necessary health-related assistance. These are called assisted living programs in Maryland and are governed by the Assisted Living Unit of the Department of Health.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Bowie
- Bowie’s cost of living is 43.5 percent higher than the national average mainly due to expensive housing and transportation costs, while other expense categories are closer yet slightly higher than the U.S. average.
- The tax system in Maryland may or may not be favorable for seniors based on their income makeup. The state doesn’t tax social security, and there’s partial and full taxation for public and private pensions, respectively. Some residents 65+ may also be exempt from personal income and pensions taxes.
- With its overall crime rate being 51 percent lower than the national average, Bowie is a safe place for seniors. The majority of crimes committed in the city are under the non-violent theft category, and the violent crime rate is 81 percent lower than the U.S. average.
- Historically a rail town, Bowie is part of a major transportation system that lets seniors easily get around the city and other areas in Maryland, Virginia and District of Columbia. Reduced fares are enjoyed by citizens 65+ on Metrobus and Metrorail rides and on MARC trains. The City of Bowie offers curb-to-curb transportation that takes residents 55+ to the senior center, medical appointments, shopping destinations and other locations.
- The diverse community of Bowie promotes its arts and culture through regularly updated art galleries in the city hall, preservation of historic museums and support for its local performing arts scene. Seniors 62 and up get ticket discounts on live acts held at the Bowie Center for Performing Arts and the Bowie Community Theatre.
Paying for Assisted Living in Bowie
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Maryland
Assisted Living costs in Bowie start around $3,786 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Bowie and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Bowie
The state of Maryland supports eligible seniors in need of assisted living services in Bowie through the Senior Assisted Living Group Home Subsidy program and the Home and Community-Based Options Waiver.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Maryland page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Maryland page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Bowie
Bowie and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Bowie, please visit our Assisted Living in Maryland page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Bowie
Bowie-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Maryland are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Maryland page for more information about these laws.
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Bowie
Review of Brookdale Woodward Estates
My father-in-law was in Brookdale Woodward Estates for 10 days. He didn't like it because it was too big, he got lost, and he felt like people would just open his door. It was set up like an apartm... Read more
Review of Brookdale Woodward Estates
The care that Brookdale Woodward Estates is providing for my dad is excellent. On the inside it looks a little bit old like the carpet is old, but it's not unclean. Their staff is pleasant and coop... Read more
Review of Ne'ville's LLC
I didn't have any problems with Ne'ville's Assisted Living (Ne'ville's Llc). The rooms were very adequate, private, large, well-kept and very nice. They have movies, card games, and entertainment. ... Read more