Gambrills is a city located on the Chesapeake Bay in east-central Maryland. It’s known for its historic architecture and rich arts and culture scene. The city has a population of just 2,867, but more than one-quarter of its residents are aged 60 or older. Seniors can take advantage of Maryland’s relatively senior-friendly tax policies. Gambrills is also close to the Anne Arundel Medical Center, which is rated as high performing for nine conditions in the Best Hospitals list by US News and World Report.

Assisted living facilities serve older adults who are generally mobile but need some help with personal care or the activities of daily living. Seniors who struggle with the day-to-day tasks of running a household may find moving into an assisted living facility makes sense for them. The average fee charged by assisted living facilities in Gambrills is $5,000 per month, which is in line with the state average.

This guide looks at the cost of assisted living in the city, as well as the benefits and drawbacks of choosing Gambrills as a retirement destination. It also provides some useful resources for seniors who are looking for help choosing the next care steps.

Directory of Assisted Living Facilities in Gambrills, MD

Regency Park

730 State Route 3 S, Gambrills, MD, 21054

The representative we spoke to at Regency Park seemed very knowledgeable. She answered all our questions and she even gave us some information we didn’t ask for. She gave us a nice tour. The facility … (read more)

Arcadia Of Crofton

1260 Defense Highway, Gambrills, MD, 21054

My overall tour experience at Arcadia of Crofton was fine. The place seemed nice. The residents were all up and moving. I went right after breakfast, so everybody was pretty much kind of settling down … (read more)

Kris-Leigh Assisted Living At Gambrills

1032-1038 Annapolis Road, Gambrills, MD, 21054

This place is HORRIBLE!! Never send anyone here. The management is the worst. No communication. The staff Doctor is terrible too. Never returns calls. Unless you are there everyday with your lov … (read more)

Arbor Terrace Waugh Chapel

2535 Evergreen Rd., Gambrills, MD, 21113

Arbor Terrace Waugh Chapel looked fabulous. It’s a fairly new building. It was almost more like a real apartment or hotel because they had different floors and you would go down to a hall. It wasn’t l … (read more)

Household of Angels Assisted

2163 Davidsonville Rd, Gambrills, MD, 21054

I took my mother out of Household of Angels because they did not have locked doors. She needed a place where she just cannot walk away. She had walked away a couple of times and tried to climb out of … (read more)

2015, 2016

Harmony Hall

6336 Cedar Lane, Columbia, MD, 21044

Harmony Hall was pretty good. It’s just that they segregate the residents. So, my mom was on a floor that had a nursing home feel to it. They did a good job though. The staff was pretty decent. All in … (read more)

Brookdale Olney

2611 Olney Sandy Springs Road, Olney, MD, 20832

Brookdale Olney was an attractive unit, well-staffed and well-organized. We were able to tour assisted living and it was very lovely. It looked like you were in a high-end hotel. They had multiple flo … (read more)

2016

Sunrise of Columbia

6500 Freetown Road, Columbia, MD, 21044

Sunrise of Columbia is very clean and very well staffed. It was not something that we could afford. It was one of my top choices. The staff was very friendly. Everybody was very friendly. I did not tr … (read more)

2015, 2016

Sunrise of Silver Spring

11621 New Hampshire Avenue, Silver Spring, MD, 20904

My brother has moved into Sunrise of Silver Spring. It is very pleasant. It is kind of a nice hotel. It’s like an inn, and the staff was very friendly. My brother has just moved in this morning. Today … (read more)

Charter Senior Living at Bowie

7600 Laurel Bowie Road, Bowie, MD, 20715

I toured Charter Senior Living at Bowie for my aunt. I thought the building was very nice, what I saw there was very nice as well, this would be a great place for her to live. The staff members were a … (read more)

2015

Brighton Gardens of Columbia

7110 Minstrel Way, Columbia, MD, 21045

My mom has moved into Brighton Gardens of Columbia. I like the apartment. It’s a one-bedroom unit. The staff has been amazing, and that was part of our reason, too. They’re so great. We haven’t tried … (read more)

Morningside House of Ellicott City

5330 Dorsey Hall Drive, Ellicott City, MD, 20142

I visited both assisted living and memory care in Morningside House of Ellicott City. Everybody was polite. It was clean and beautiful. They had wonderful caregivers and the rooms were bright and big. … (read more)

Morningside House of Friendship

7548 Old Telegraph Rd, Hanover, MD, 21076

Morningside House of Friendship looked nice, clean, and well-furnished. They had different apartment sizes, and because my brother is just going there in for respite care, we just saw the small ones. … (read more)

Morningside House of Laurel

7700 Cherry Lane, Laurel, MD, 20707

I went to see Morningside House of Laurel. I was looking for level 3 assisted living for my husband but they were too expensive. It was very nice though, very clean, and didn’t smell like anything. I … (read more)

Russell Residence

3608 Baskerville Dr, Bowie, MD, 20721

Russell Residence is nice and has a home setting. It’s close to my home and is in a residential neighborhood. My aunt seems to like it, so far. She’s not with a lot of other patients, it is a nice siz … (read more)

Homecrest Assisted Living

2857 Cairncross Terrace, Silver Spring, MD, 20906

My sister has moved into Homecrest Assisted Living. She’s only been there two nights, but everything has been positive up to this point. I find the place to be clean and well lit. The staff are friend … (read more)

Bowie Assisted Living, Inc.

12001 Lanham Severn Rd, Bowie, MD, 20720

Bowie Assisted Living, Inc. had a lot of character. People were up and about. Some were in their rooms, some were getting their nails done, some were playing games, and some were watching TV. The owne … (read more)

Bryant Woods Manor

10461 Waterfowl Terrace, Columbia, MD, 21044

We viewed Bryant Woods Manor assisted living home for our mother and we were quite impressed by the spaciousness and cleanliness. My mother is starting dementia and we are attempting to place in a as … (read more)

Marian Assisted Living

19109 Georgia Avenue, Brookeville, MD, 20833

We visited Marian Assisted Living, they’re very accommodating. I visited once and I was impressed, and I know that my friend is very, very happy. So it’s worth you looking into. He’s Catholic and they … (read more)

Access Care Assisted Living

3903 Claxton Pl, Bowie, MD, 20715

Access Care Assisted Living was clean and very open. I saw people working with other residents. Some were playing games and some were watching television. Everyone was out and about. No one was really … (read more)

What to Consider About Assisted Living in Gambrills

Assisted living facilities in Gambrills are regulated by the Maryland Department of Health. The state’s assisted living regulations cover issues such as staffing, medication management, care types, and health and safety. Facilities are expected to pass regular inspections to ensure they meet the Department of Health’s standards and to maintain their licenses.

Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Gambrills

• Gambrills is relatively tax-friendly for seniors. IRAs are taxed in Maryland, but Social Security and income from 401(k)s are not. This means that, depending on a person’s retirement plans, their income could go a long way in the city.
  • While the overall cost of living in Gambrills is above average, the cost of transportation and health care is below average for the United States. Seniors who reside in an assisted living facility typically have food and utilities covered as part of their monthly bills, which means they’re less affected by the cost of those items.
  • Crime rates in Gambrills are relatively low. The city is ranked in the 91st percentile for crime, meaning it’s much safer than the average city in the United States. Seniors should feel confident when they’re out shopping or running errands.
  • The weather in Gambrills is usually mild. The city sees lows of 24.7 degrees in January and highs of 87.9 degrees in July. The area gets about 44 inches of rainfall and 15 inches of snowfall each year. This makes Gambrills an attractive option for people who prefer mild summers and cool winters over the extremes seen in some other states.
  • Getting around Anne Arundel County is easy for seniors, thanks to the transportation services provided by the county’s Office of Transportation. Eligible seniors can take advantage of complimentary transportation services, and general paratransit programs are available for older adults who can’t use regular public transit.
  • There are lots of things for seniors to do in and close to Gambrills. Anne Arundel County has several senior activity centers that offer socials, classes, exercise groups and other activities for older adults.

Paying for Assisted Living in Gambrills

The average monthly cost of assisted living in Gambrills is $5,000, which is the same as the average for the state of Maryland but significantly above the United States median of $4,300.

The Cost of Assisted Living in Nearby Cities

Assisted living fees in Gambrills are average for the state. Further west, in Hagerstown and Cumberland, assisted living is less expensive, at $4,500 and $4,665 per month, respectively. Toward the coast, in Salisbury, seniors can expect to pay $5,500 per month for assisted living. The most expensive city in the state is California, with average fees of $6,200.

Gambrills

Salisbury

$6200

California

The Cost of Other Types of Senior Care

Older adults in Gambrills can choose from several types of senior care. Adult day health care is the most affordable, costing just $1,896 per month for daytime-only care in a group setting. For seniors looking for in-home care, homemaker services charge $4,671 per month for personal care support delivered at home, and seniors requiring limited health care at home pay slightly more, at $4,957. Nursing homes are the most expensive, with a semiprivate room and 24-hour skilled nursing care costing $11,984, while private rooms cost $12,805, on average.

$4671

Homemaker Services

$4957

Home Health Aide

$1896

Adult Day Health Care

Assisted Living Facility

$11984

Nursing Home Facility (semiprivate room)

$12805

Nursing Home Facility (private room)

Note: Care cost data for Gambrills was not available, so data for the closest city, Baltimore, was used instead.

Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Gambrills

Maryland offers several financial assistance programs for seniors who live in or seek assisted living arrangements. Several Medicaid programs, including Community Personal Assistance Services and The Increased Community Services (ICS), help seniors afford alternatives to nursing homes. The Assisted Living Subsidy program and Certified Adult Residential Environment (C.A.R.E.) program are non-Medicaid benefits that are intended to help low-income and disabled seniors.

Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Maryland page.

Paying for Assisted Living Facilities in Maryland

More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living

• Veterans Benefits
  • Life Insurance Policy
  • Long-Term Care Insurance
  • Reverse Mortgage

For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Maryland page.

Free Assisted Living Resources in Gambrills

Gambrills’ seniors planning their next care steps may find the following resources helpful. These organizations offer advice and information as well as wellness counseling, benefits assistance and other hands-on support.

Resource

Contact

Service

The Department of Aging and Disabilities for Anne Arundel County offers several services for older adults, including care provision, aging and disability resource centers and senior nutrition programs. The Department also maintains a list of care providers in the area and can advise seniors on a variety of issues, including completing tax and benefits forms.

Maryland Legal Aid provides free civil legal advice to seniors and low-income individuals across the state. It offers in-person consultations as well as limited legal services via telephone and on the web. Seniors can consult the service about estate planning, family law, landlord-tenant disputes and other civil issues.

The Anne Arundel County Veterans Services office helps former service members navigate the complexities of the VA system. A helpline and in-person service provide assistance with completing applications for VA Aid and Attendance benefits and appealing applications that have been declined.

Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Gambrills

Gambrills-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Maryland are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Maryland page for more information about these laws.

Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Maryland