Located in Prince George County and part of the Washington, D.C., metro area, is Upper Marlboro, Maryland, a bedroom community with a population of just 770. Despite the small population, Upper Marlboro offers residents plenty of the amenities and conveniences of a major city due to its proximity to Baltimore and Washington, D.C.

About 9% of Upper Marlboro’s residents are seniors 65 years old and older, many of whom may need accommodations in an assisted living facility to help them with personal care and tasks of daily living. These residential communities offer support around the clock, plus provide private apartments, light housekeeping and maintenance, and hot, fresh meals each day. In addition to these services, assisted living homes also have different activities each day and shared amenities such as a library, game room, pool and fitness center for resident use. The average monthly cost of an assisted living home is $5,000

Our guide includes a brief overview of free resources in Upper Marlboro for seniors and their families and a closer look at the benefits and drawbacks of living here. We also compare assisted living fees in other cities, plus different senior care options in the town.

Directory of Assisted Living Facilities in Upper Marlboro, MD

Judy Comfort and Care Assisted Living

12401 Molly Berry Road, Upper Marlboro, MD, 20772

Judy Comfort and Care Assisted Living was a nice and warm setting. It’s very homey and it has a lot of properties outside, around the house itself, like a country setting. They have very caring facili … (read more)

Beulah Spring Assisted Living LLC

13908 Edsall St, Upper Marlboro, MD, 20772

Goddard Comfort Homes

6020 Old Croom Station Road, Upper Marlboro, MD, 20772

Golden Sunset Services, Inc.

7600 Woodyard Farm Road, Upper Marlboro, MD, 20772

Golden Manor is an apartment where the owner does assisted living and respite care at his home. My father has been to his place for respite care several times. He also has licensed nurses if you want … (read more)

The W Assisted Living

1717 Largo Rd, Upper Marlboro, MD, 20774

Woodmore House Assisted Living is a very good place. It has activities going on, and it gets you up every day and not let you lay in bed. It’s very expensive though. The facility itself and the care t … (read more)

Candice Cares At Webbwood 2

Rose’S Place, Inc.

11311 Sherrington Court, Upper Marlboro, MD, 20774

Brookdale Woodward Estates

14997 Health Center Drive, Bowie, MD, 20716

My mother moved into Brookdale Woodward Estates in April. The first week or so, I had to go toe to toe with a couple of people about some of their staff procedures. My mother called me at almost 6:00 … (read more)

Henson Creek Assisted Living

5075 Temple Hills Road, Temple Hills, MD, 20748

My tour at Henson Creek Assisted Living was ok. It was nice but kind of dark since it’s an older building. I wasn’t impressed with the facility. The staff that gave the tour was very pleasant and very … (read more)

Russell Residence

3608 Baskerville Dr, Bowie, MD, 20721

Russell Residence is nice and has a home setting. It’s close to my home and is in a residential neighborhood. My aunt seems to like it, so far. She’s not with a lot of other patients, it is a nice siz … (read more)

Majestic Assisted Living Home

12025 Birchview Drive, Clinton, MD, 20735

Majestic Assisted Living Home has the best care I’ve ever encountered. They truly love their residents and I’m incredibly grateful to host my grandpa at their residence. He’s full of laughter an … (read more)

Access Care Assisted Living

3903 Claxton Pl, Bowie, MD, 20715

Access Care Assisted Living was clean and very open. I saw people working with other residents. Some were playing games and some were watching television. Everyone was out and about. No one was really … (read more)

Northview Assisted Living Facility

8607 North Drive, Clinton, MD, 20735

We were looking for an assisted living home for our elderly aunt. The owner of Northview Assisted Living gave our family a very inclusive tour of the home (where she lives). We were impressed with t … (read more)

Lifesprings Eldercare #1

4107 Buck Creek Road, Temple Hills, MD, 20748

My Mom has been a resident at Lifesprings Eldercare since July of 2018. I was moving Mom from a place I loved to a place closer to me and was worried about how it would go! From the moment we walked … (read more)

George Assisted Living Facility

6908 Noah Dr, Fort Washington, MD, 20744

I went to see George Assisted Living Facility’s assisted living. It was okay and the staff was friendly. They were watching the news when I got there because it was in the evening. The staff said that … (read more)

Resilient Care Assisted Living

10807 Maiden Dr, Bowie, MD, 20720

I toured the Resilient Care Assisted Living and they were very friendly. The staff showed me everything, took the time to talk to me, and we talked to some of the residents there too. We walked throug … (read more)

Holy Hills Assisted Living

2808 Folsom Lane, Bowie, MD, 20715

Holy Hills Assisted Living was clean and bright. It was a smaller home, which is what I was looking for. There was a lot of sunlight coming into it. Everyone was friendly and very knowledgeable. I was … (read more)

Kris-Leigh Assisted Living At Davidsonville

3913 Birdsville Road,, Davidsonville, MD, 21035

Kris-Leigh Assisted Living at Davidsonville is located in the western Annapolis suburb of Davidsonville, Maryland. The facility has full-time doctors to meet the medical needs of its residents. Guests … (read more)

What to Consider About Assisted Living in Upper Marlboro

The Maryland Department of Health licenses and regulates all assisted living and long-term care in the state, dividing them into three tiers based on the level of service each provides and the types of residents each accommodates. To obtain and retain licensure, each community must undergo regular inspections. Certifications of nursing staff members are also verified.

Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Upper Marlboro

• The weather in Upper Marlboro is mostly pleasant, with July high temperatures of 87 degrees and 206 days of sunshine each year. Winters can be cold and snowy. Upper Marlboro receives about 15 inches of snow each year, and January lows average 24 degrees.
  • Upper Marlboro’s cost of living is slightly higher than the U.S. median, 114.4 compared to 100. Seniors on a budget may see their dollars stretch further here than other parts of the state. Health care is the lowest category of costs, 93, which can be important to many frail seniors. Housing, 102, and grocery, 107.2, are slightly higher than the national average.
  • Maryland residents 60 and older who have an income of less than $100,000 per year (including income derived from Social Security, pensions and retirement accounts) are eligible for a state income tax break. The state doesn’t levy taxes on the first $50,000 of income derived for retirement accounts, and anything more is taxed at a lower rate than regular wage income.
  • Crime rates in cities across the nation are measured on a scale of 1-100, 100 being the highest. In Upper Marlboro, both violent crimes, 10.8, and property crimes, 26.2, are lower than the national averages of 22.7 and 35.4, respectively.
  • The air quality and water quality in the town are close to the national average. Water quality is 53/100, compared to 55/100 for the country overall, while air quality is 60/100, compared to the national average of 58/100.
  • The town has 132 physicians per 100,000 residents, compared to the national average of 210 per 100,000. However, due to the proximity of Upper Marlboro to Baltimore and Washington, residents can take advantage of some of the best health care systems in the country, including Johns Hopkins Medical Center and George Washington University Hospital

Paying for Assisted Living in Upper Marlboro

According to the Genworth Cost of Care Survey 2020, average monthly fees for assisted living in Upper Marlboro are $5,000, which matches the state average, also $5,000. Both of these are several hundred dollars more than the U.S. average of $4,300.

The Cost of Assisted Living in Nearby Cities

Upper Marlboro represents the midpoint for assisted living fees in Maryland. Bethesda and Salisbury are both more expensive, $6,000 and $5,500, respectively. Hagerstown ($4,500) and Cumberland ($4,665) are both a few hundred dollars less than Upper Marlboro.

Upper Marlboro

Salisbury

$4665

Cumberland

The Cost of Other Types of Senior Care

Assisted living isn’t the only residential choice for Upper Marlboro elderly. Nursing home care is a better option for seniors with chronic health conditions that are unable to take care of themselves independently. A semiprivate room in one is $11,984 and a private one is $12,805. Adult day care ($1,896 per month) offers many of the same services as assisted living, without the residential component.  Seniors may also opt to age in place at home, hiring homemaker services ($4,671) to help with personal care and tasks of daily living or home health aides for light medical care ($4,957).

$4671

Homemaker Services

$4957

Home Health Aide

$1896

Adult Day Health Care

Assisted Living Facility

$11984

Nursing Home Facility (semiprivate room)

$12805

Nursing Home Facility (private room)

Note: Care cost data for Upper Marlboro was not available, so data for the closest city, Baltimore, was used instead.

Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Upper Marlboro

The state of Maryland pays for assisted living services in Level II and Level III ALPs through the Medicaid 1915(c)Home and Community-Based Options Waiver Program. There is also a Senior Assisted Living Group Home Subsidy Program funded by the state.

Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Maryland page.

Paying for Assisted Living Facilities in Maryland

More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living

• Veterans Benefits
  • Life Insurance Policy
  • Long-Term Care Insurance
  • Reverse Mortgage

For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Maryland page.

Free Assisted Living Resources in Upper Marlboro

Seniors and their families may seek assistance from many free or low-cost community resources provided by the city of Upper Marlboro and the state of Maryland. Seniors can learn more about finding the right assisted living home and receive financial aid to pay for fees or participate in different programs to enhance their physical, social and financial well-being.

Resource

Contact

Description

(410)-767-1100

The state’s Department of Aging administers several outreach programs to make Maryland more senior-friendly. The state funds programs for area communities to enhance the lives of area seniors, including providing financial and physical support and providing health screenings and information about topics that affect the elderly.

The office of the long-term care ombudsman is tasked with protecting the interests of those in long-term care homes, including investigating complaints made by families on behalf of residents or by residents themselves. Representatives of this agency also help local seniors find the right assisted living home for their needs, offering unbiased evaluations of each community and helping families with the application and transition processes.

DC Shares is a medical equipment loan closet open to Washington, D.C., and Prince George County residents. The loan closet provides indefinite loans of durable medical equipment, including prosthetics, walkers, canes, wheelchairs, shower benches, toileting chairs, and blood pressure cuffs.

Local attorneys offer pro bono services for elderly residents who cannot afford their own. Lawyers represent seniors in cases of elder abuse or neglect or on their behalf in landlord-tenant disputes. Other services include divorce and bankruptcy filing and drafting wills and trusts, living wills and durable or temporary power of attorney.

Prince George County has several programs for older adults and their caretakers, including caregiver respite and training, health and wellness services, including dental services for seniors and helps with placement in long-term care.

Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Upper Marlboro

Upper Marlboro-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Maryland are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Maryland page for more information about these laws.

Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Maryland