156 Assisted Living Facilities near Hyattsville, MD
There are 156 Assisted Living Facilities in the Hyattsville area, with 6 in Hyattsville and 150 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Hyattsville is $3,733 per month. This is higher than the national median of $3,500.
To help you with your search, browse the 486 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Hyattsville. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Hyattsville 4.1 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Takoma Park with an average rating of 4.8 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Hyattsville, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 10 Assisted Living Facilities in Hyattsville, MD
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Hyattsville
Hyattsville, a suburb of Washington, D.C., is famous for its sizeable Historic District. This district is home to nearly 1,000 buildings and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Nearly 18,000 people live in this D.C. suburb, and less than 10 percent of them are seniors. These seniors have many assisted living facilities to choose from, with six located within city limits and 143 in surrounding communities.
Maryland’s assisted living facilities are licensed by the Office of Health Care Quality as assisted living programs. Licensed facilities provide support, supervision and assistance to their senior residents.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Hyattsville
- The cost of living in Hyattsville is 41.7 percent higher than the national average. This is largely driven by the city’s high housing costs, though transportation, utilities and other budget items are also more expensive. Seniors with fixed incomes may prefer to retire in a more affordable part of the country.
- Maryland doesn’t tax senior’s Social Security benefits. Seniors may also be able to claim the state’s pension exclusion, further lowering their tax obligations. These retiree-friendly policies may help seniors pay for the costs of assisted living care.
- The Washington-Baltimore-Arlington metropolitan area has poor air quality. The area is listed on the American Lung Association’s most polluted cities by ozone, where it ranks 17th.
- Hyattsville offers many public transit options. There are two Washington Metropolitan Transit Authority stops within the city, which lets seniors easily travel into D.C. There are more than a dozen bus routes in the city, and seniors can reserve curb-to-curb transportation with the Call-A-Bus service. Curb-to-curb service is only $2 each way.
- Hyattsville seniors can visit the annual Downtown Hyattsville Arts Festival to support local artisans and food vendors. They can also take day trips to the Washington Monument, Lincoln Memorial, National Mall and many other attractions in nearby Washington, D.C.
- Hyattsville is a member of the AARP Network of Age-Friendly Communities, meaning that its elected leadership “has made the commitment to actively work toward making their town, city or county a great place for people of all ages,” according to AARP.
Paying for Assisted Living in Hyattsville
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Maryland
Assisted Living costs in Hyattsville start around $3,733 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Hyattsville and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Hyattsville
Several programs in Hyattsville may help seniors pay for assisted living expenses. The state Medicaid plan supports a home and community-based services waiver that could provide services to seniors in assisted living communities. SSI recipients may also be eligible to receive additional financial support through the optional state supplement.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Maryland page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Maryland page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Hyattsville
Hyattsville and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Hyattsville, please visit our Assisted Living in Maryland page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Hyattsville
Hyattsville-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Maryland are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Maryland page for more information about these laws.
Assisted Living near Hyattsville, MD
Other Options in Hyattsville, MD
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Hyattsville
Review of Malta House
Very unprofessional. Very poor leadership.Would not recommend this place to anyone. Read more
Review of Malta House
The food us good; workers try hard but are not adequately supported; leadership and management very lacking in skill or compassion; place is only safe for resudents whi can care well fir selves or ... Read more
Review of Malta House
We were very interested in Malta House, we made a deposit, but they did not have any rooms available. It was a very nice facility, small, but very clean. The person who assisted me was outstanding,... Read more