68 Assisted Living Facilities near Takoma Park, MD
Also serving communities of Adelphi.
There are 68 Assisted Living Facilities in the Takoma Park area, with 2 in Takoma Park and 66 nearby.
To help you with your search, browse the 197 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Takoma Park. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Takoma Park 4.0 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Silver Spring with an average rating of 4.1 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Takoma Park, call (855) 863-8283.
2 Assisted Living Facilities in Takoma Park, MD
66 Assisted Living Facilities near Takoma Park, MD
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Takoma Park
Takoma Park, a.k.a. Azalea City, is a northern suburb of Washington, D.C., covering 2.4 square miles. The hilly landscape features mature trees, creeks and numerous parks, providing seniors with idyllic places to walk and bike. Adults aged 65 and older make up approximately 10.4% of Takoma Park’s population of nearly 17,800 residents.
Seniors wishing to live in communities that provide care while promoting as much independence as possible enjoy numerous options. Takoma Park offers two assisted living facilities, with another 66 in nearby cities. Maryland’s Department of Health oversees the licensing of the state’s assisted living programs (ALPs).
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Takoma Park
- Takoma Park is a member of the AARP Network of Age-Friendly Communities, meaning that its elected leadership “has made the commitment to actively work toward making their town, city or county a great place for people of all ages,” according to AARP.
- Active seniors should know the American Lung Association grades Takoma Park’s location in Montgomery County a D for ozone pollution and A for particle pollution. Those with lung or heart conditions might want to monitor air quality closely before outdoor exertion.
- Takoma Park's location in the Washington metropolitan area provides seniors with a multitude of cultural and historical amenities. But, residents don’t have to travel out of Takoma Park to find a vibrant arts and humanities scene. The city's cultural series, Takoma Park Arts, sponsors a wide range of free events, including concerts, lectures, films and art exhibitions.
- The Takoma Park area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Adventist HealthCare Takoma Park, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- Seniors on limited incomes may find the high cost of living in Takoma Park prohibitive. Grocery and utility costs are a bit higher than the U.S. average, but the exceptionally high cost of housing and transportation make the overall cost of living here 66% higher than the national average.
- Takoma Park offers an array of community resources for seniors, including the Village of Takoma Park. This vibrant organization provides numerous programs and services that include transportation, walking and support groups, small home repairs and aging well events.
Note: Data reported on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Takoma Park
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Maryland
Assisted Living costs in Takoma Park start around $0 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Takoma Park and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Takoma Park
Maryland offers several programs to help seniors in Takoma Park pay for assisted living. Medicaid-eligible seniors can apply for three waivers. Eligible seniors who live in smaller ALPs may qualify for the Senior Assisted Living Group Home Subsidy (SALGHS) program. Those residing in larger facilities may qualify for the Optional State Supplement.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Maryland page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Maryland page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Takoma Park
Takoma Park and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Takoma Park, please visit our Assisted Living in Maryland page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Takoma Park
Takoma Park-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Maryland are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Maryland page for more information about these laws.
Assisted Living near Takoma Park, MD
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Takoma Park
Review of Sligo Creek Center
My husband is staying in Sligo Creek Center. He has been there since June 18th. In terms of location, it takes me almost an hour to get to him there. He also said that he has a little problem with ... Read more