91 Assisted Living Facilities near Silver Spring, MD
There are 91 Assisted Living Facilities in the Silver Spring area, with 44 in Silver Spring and 47 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Silver Spring is $4,054 per month. This is higher than the national median of $3,500. Cheaper nearby regions include Takoma Park with an average starting cost of $3,500.
To help you with your search, browse the 284 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Silver Spring. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Silver Spring 4.1 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Takoma Park with an average rating of 4.8 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped 5 families in Silver Spring find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Silver Spring, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 10 Assisted Living Facilities in Silver Spring, MD
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Silver Spring
Silver Spring is a community located within the Capital Beltway, close to the excitement of the nation's capital. Seniors may find some calm in one of the community's 44 assisted living facilities or the 13 in nearby cities including Rockville, Bethesda and Washington D.C.
The Maryland Department of Health Assisted Living Unit oversees the licensing of assisted living facilities in the state. There are three levels of licenses available based on the level of care provided.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Silver Spring
- Montgomery County, including Silver Spring, is a member of the AARP Network of Age-Friendly Communities, meaning that its elected leadership “has made the commitment to actively work toward making their town, city or county a great place for people of all ages,” according to AARP.
- The Silver Spring Arts District has many options for seniors wishing to experience arts and culture. Some assisted living facilities may organize group visits to see a classic film at the AFI Silver Theatre and Cultural Center, or to enjoy the music at the Silver Spring Jazz Festival.
- Particle pollution in Silver Spring is very good, and the State of the Air Report 2018 reported that the area had no days with unhealthy levels of particle pollution. Ozone pollution is higher, receiving a C grade in the report. The good air quality can be beneficial to seniors with respiratory concerns.
- Silver Spring is an expensive place to live, largely due to the high cost of housing. The Sperling cost of living index rates the community at 148 overall, compared to the national average of 100. Although groceries are not as high as that, they're still over five points higher than the national average.
- The Washington Metro provides public transportation in Silver Spring, and riders aged 65 or older receive discounted fares. Seniors may also be able to use MetroAccess or Abilities-Ride, paratransit services for people unable to use the fixed-route services.
- In Maryland, income from retirement funds and private pensions is fully taxable, although there is a deduction for taxpayers aged 65 or older. Seniors relying on Social Security income will not have to pay taxes, allowing them to keep more money in their retirement budget.
Paying for Assisted Living in Silver Spring
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Maryland
Assisted Living costs in Silver Spring start around $3,988 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Silver Spring and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Silver Spring
Financial assistance is available to seniors in small assisted living facilities through Maryland's Senior Assisted Living Group Home Subsidy. Maryland also has an Optional State Supplement (OSS) available to seniors who are eligible for Social Security payments or would be eligible except for income.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Maryland page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Maryland page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Silver Spring
Silver Spring and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Silver Spring, please visit our Assisted Living in Maryland page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Silver Spring
Silver Spring-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Maryland are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Maryland page for more information about these laws.
Assisted Living near Silver Spring, MD
Other Options in Silver Spring, MD
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Silver Spring
Review of Layhill Center
The staff needs to be more caring for the Patients and their families. Abby supposedly head nurse is very rude and very unprofessional she was sitting there eating pistachio nuts talking and walks... Read more
Review of Sunrise of Chevy Chase
Sunrise of Chevy Chase was a nice facility. They have lovely one-bedroom apartments. It seems like a lot of activity is going on, so people could certainly get what they want. The age range was var... Read more
Review of Homecrest Assisted Living
Mom there for the final 3 or 4 years of her life, very pleased with care she received. Read more