The historic city of Omaha in the state of Nebraska is home to over 475,000 people, and about 12.8% of residents are over the age of 65. Seniors in Nebraska have access to Nebraska Medical Center, which is a teaching hospital that’s nationally ranked by USN in two procedures. The campus is home to the Home Instead Center for Successful Aging, which offers specialized geriatric medical services.

Nursing home care provides a high level of supervised medical care and assistance for seniors. This level of care is often more expensive than other forms of long-term care, and family members may want to look at alternative care options in Omaha. According to the Genworth Cost of Care Survey 2020, the average monthly cost of nursing home care in Omaha is $8,182 for a semiprivate room, while in the nation as a whole, the average monthly cost is $7,756. Alternative care options that may interest family members include home care and assisted living

This article discusses the costs of nursing home care and alternative options in Omaha and neighboring cities. The guide also discusses resources that may be of interest to seniors considering nursing home care in Omaha.

Directory of Nursing Homes in Omaha, NE

2013, 2016

Brighton Gardens of Omaha

9220 Western Avenue, Omaha, NE, 68114

Brighton Gardens of Omaha is centrally located off I-680 and West Dodge Road close to two shopping malls, several restaurants and multiple hospitals. Visitors are quickly impressed with the beautiful, … (read more)

Rose Blumkin Jewish Home

323 S 132nd Street, Omaha, NE, 68154

Rose Blumkin Jewish Home was really clean and you couldn’t smell urine anywhere. It was nice and it wasn’t big, but it was well laid out, and beautiful. The lady during the tour was nice and answered … (read more)

Golden Livingcenter – Sorensen

4809 Redman Ave, Omaha, NE, 68104

The staff was very good when I visited Oak Grove Manor. The rooms were very nicely decorated. The food is very good as well.

Brookestone Village

4330 SOUTH 144TH STREET, Omaha, NE, 68137

My husband was here for 2 weeks. There are not enough words to explain the outstanding care he received. This is unlike any skilled nursing facility I have ever been in. The cleanliness and comfort … (read more)

St. Joseph Villa Nursing Center

2305 SOUTH 10TH STREET, Omaha, NE, 68108

I was POA of my friend who was 96 y/o. The staff treated her and loved her like an old friend. She ended up going hospice and I was moving out of state. They kept me in the loop and informed. I wa … (read more)

Emerald Nursing & Rehab Omaha

5505 Grover St, Omaha, NE, 68106

My husband has been at Golden Living Center for three weeks now. They seem to be taking really good care of him, and I can call him or call them anytime 24 hours a day. He likes the food. I would sure … (read more)

Life Care Center of Omaha

6032 VILLE DE SANTE DRIVE, Omaha, NE, 68104

My husband was in need of skilled nursing once leaving the hospital. Judy W from the facility came to the hospital to visit with us and give us information and answer our questions we had about the tr … (read more)

Hidden Hills Health and Rehabilitation Center

3110 SCOTT CIRCLE, Omaha, NE, 68112

My Mother has been a resident at this facility for over ten years. She went into their memory loss unit and now she is completely unable to talk, walk and has to be fed blended food. I think the car … (read more)

The Ambassador Omaha

1540 NORTH 72ND STREET, Omaha, NE, 68114

In 2013, I broke my leg, and then I had surgery. I did rehab at the Ambassador in Omaha. I was there for about a month. They were helpful, yes. They helped me do all kinds of things. They helped me dr … (read more)

The Lutheran Home

530 South 26th Street, Omaha, NE, 68105

I think she did marvelously at The Lutheran Home. She went there because she had a problem with her spine and they were able to work with her from that stage until she was able to go to an independent … (read more)

Maple Crest Care Center

2824 N 66th Avenue, Omaha, NE, 68104

I don’t like Maple Crest The rooms were smaller than average, In my opinion. My interactions with the staff are good. I do enjoy Bingo. It seemed crowded and not very open or airy.

Alegent Health Immanuel Fontenelle Home

6901 NORTH 72ND STREET, Omaha, NE, 68122

Alegent Health Immanuel Fontenelle Home was a hospital room in what felt like a hospital, so it felt very sterile and non-human. You can’t have your own furniture because the room is so incredibly s … (read more)

Florence Home

7915 NORTH 30TH STREET, Omaha, NE 68112, Omaha, NE, 68112

Our family had a great experience at Florence Home. The staff went out of there way to help us with anything we needed and made sure my Mom was always comfortable. The therapy team was outstanding! Th … (read more)

Omaha Nursing Home

4835 SOUTH 49TH STREET, Omaha, NE, 68117

My mom has been at Omaha Nursing and Rehab for almost 3 yrs..i give them 10 stars.. My mom receives the best care from eveyone from nurses, aides, dietary staff, social director, volunteers etc..i wou … (read more)

Lindenwood Nursing Home

910 SOUTH 40TH STREET, Omaha, NE, 68105

This is a small facility "” offering 12 rooms of assisted living and 20 of skilled nursing. The main street nearby is busy, but the facility itself is on a quieter street, and rather peaceful. The … (read more)

Keystone Villas

7350 Graceland Drive, Omaha, NE, 68134

I don’t know what others have seen at Skyline but my experience was totally different!! The people that live there are very well taken care of and the place looks very nice and clean. The entrances … (read more)

Montclair Nursing and Rehabilitation Center

2525 SOUTH 135TH AVENUE, Omaha, NE, 68144

The care that Montclair Nursing and Rehabilitation Center provides seems to be fine. But our loved one doesn’t like the food there. You can never get a hold of the staff when you call. He’s in a priva … (read more)

Nebraska Skilled Nursing & Rehab

7410 MERCY ROAD, Omaha, NE, 68124

this place is a complete joke. Basically if you love your family member and want even just a little bit of dignity to remain in their last years of life you won’t send them here. Let’s start with the … (read more)

Douglas County Health Center

4102 WOOLWORTH AVENUE, Omaha, NE, 68105

A resident’s experience in this facility appears to be somewhat based upon the floor they reside on. Regardless, a resident’s experience is greatly determined by their benefits and income. For exa … (read more)

Quality Living

6404 NORTH 70TH PLAZA, Omaha, NE, 68104

Nursing Home Costs in Omaha, Nebraska

The average monthly cost of nursing home care in Omaha is $8,182 for a semiprivate room and $9,247 for a private room.

The Cost of Nursing Home Care in Nearby Cities

Looking at the cost of nursing home care across the country, nursing home care in Omaha costs about $426 more per month than the national average. Omaha is also more expensive than the Nebraska state average of $7,194.

Nursing home care in Omaha is more expensive than in the neighboring cities of Lincoln ($7,254), Grand Island ($6,608), Sioux City, IA ($6,509) and Des Moines, IA ($7,148). The biggest gap in costs in Nebraska is between Grand Island and Omaha, with a price difference of over $1,500 per month.

$8182

Sioux City, IA

$7148

Des Moines, IA

The Cost of Other Types of Senior Care

Family members may find it useful to compare alternatives to nursing home care if they’re not sure that a nursing home is the right placement for their loved one. Adult day health care is the least expensive option, at an average cost of $1,625 per month. Assisted living is a popular care choice for seniors who don’t need ongoing medical care, with an average monthly cost of $4,523. Homemaker services and home health aide services have an average monthly cost of $4,767 and $4,957, respectively, and are less expensive than nursing home care in Omaha, which costs $8,182 for a semiprivate room and $9,247 for a private room.

$1625

Homemaker services

$4957

Home health aide

$8182

Nursing home (semiprivate room)

$9247

Nursing home (private room)

Financial Assistance for Nursing Home Care in Omaha, Nebraska

Free Resources for Seniors in Omaha, Nebraska

The following resources may be of interest to seniors in the Omaha area. They may make it easier for seniors to safely remain in their own homes for a longer period of time. Some of the resources may assist in making moving to a nursing home easier once it is required.

ResourceContactServices
Aged Medicaid Waiver Program(402) 546-1870This waiver allows Medicaid funds to be used to purchase a range of care services such as home-delivered meals, respite care, adult day care, personal emergency response systems, home modifications and home care. Seniors need to be aged 65 and over and qualify for Medicaid to be able to apply for the program. Assistants are available to guide seniors through the program and help them get the services they need.
Meals on Wheels(402) 444-6536The Meals on Wheels program provides hot and nutritious meals to homebound seniors aged 60 and over. A meal is delivered at noon each day by a volunteer who also carries out a social safety check and reports any issues to the relevant authorities. Special dietary requests can be accommodated.
Home Instead Center for Successful Aging(402) 559-9600The center offers educational opportunities to seniors and their caregivers to help the seniors live active and successful lives. Services offered include physical therapy, geriatric medicine, geriatric psychology, nursing care, exercise science and whole-person wellness services. These services are available at the center, and the focus is on promoting independence and aging in place.