Council Bluffs, Iowa, is located on the scenic Missouri River across from Omaha, Nebraska’s largest city. This location gives older adults access to more services that can increase their health and quality of life, whether they’re living at home or in a skilled nursing facility. This midsize city has about 63,000 residents, and seniors represent almost 16% of the population, which is similar to the national average. Although Council Bluffs is the largest city in the region, the cost of living is 15% lower than the national average.

Nursing homes in Council Bluffs cater to seniors who are being discharged from the hospital or require advanced medical or rehabilitative care. Seniors who need personal care or help with daily activities might consider an assisted living facility or home health care provider instead. Nursing homes in Council Bluffs charge $8,182 per month on average, so costs can be substantial without assistance from Medicare or private insurance.

This guide takes a closer look at local nursing homes and long-term care prices, and it provides a directory of agencies that support seniors and families who are making important health-related decisions.

Directory of Nursing Homes in Council Bluffs, IA

Midlands Living Center

2452 North Broadway, Council Bluffs, IA, 51503

Midlands Living Center is an older facility, smaller, and independent-owned. They try to give more individualized services. They have a private room for my dad with his own bathroom. With COVID, they … (read more)

Risen Son Christian Village

3000 Risen Son Boulevard, Council Bluffs, IA, 51503

My mother is in Risen Son Christian Village. My mom had been there before, and I’ve been in it several times. It’s been wonderful. The staff members have been really good to my mom, and she really lik … (read more)

Bethany Lutheran Home

7 Elliott St, Council Bluffs, IA, 51503

I have visited many facilities in this area and find Bethany to be THE friendliest and helpful. Sometimes staff is slow to respond when everyone is on their call light at the same time. We looked to … (read more)

North Crest Living Center

34 Northcrest Drive , Council Bluffs, IA, 51503

Regency Rehab And Skilled Nursing

1600 Mcpherson Avenue, Council Bluffs, IA, 51503

Woodlands Rehabilitation Center

1600 MCPHERSON, Council Bluffs, IA, 51501

Hillcrest Health & Rehab

1702 Hillcrest Drive, Bellevue, NE, 68005

My dad was in Hillcrest Health & Rehab. Their staff was excellent and the facility itself was older. It was clean, it just was kind of depressing, I understand the colors, it’s just the wear and t … (read more)

Golden Livingcenter – Sorensen

4809 Redman Ave, Omaha, NE, 68104

The staff was very good when I visited Oak Grove Manor. The rooms were very nicely decorated. The food is very good as well.

St. Joseph Villa Nursing Center

2305 SOUTH 10TH STREET, Omaha, NE, 68108

My father is in St Joseph Villa Nursing & Rehabilitation. It’s clean. The staff is kind to the residents. They have good food and a pleasant dining experience. There’s also activities that my dad … (read more)

Emerald Nursing & Rehab Omaha

5505 Grover St, Omaha, NE, 68106

My husband has been at Golden Living Center for three weeks now. They seem to be taking really good care of him, and I can call him or call them anytime 24 hours a day. He likes the food. I would sure … (read more)

Hidden Hills Health and Rehabilitation Center

3110 SCOTT CIRCLE, Omaha, NE, 68112

My Mother has been a resident at this facility for over ten years. She went into their memory loss unit and now she is completely unable to talk, walk and has to be fed blended food. I think the car … (read more)

The Lutheran Home

530 South 26th Street, Omaha, NE, 68105

I think she did marvelously at The Lutheran Home. She went there because she had a problem with her spine and they were able to work with her from that stage until she was able to go to an independent … (read more)

Maple Crest Care Center

2824 N 66th Avenue, Omaha, NE, 68104

I don’t like Maple Crest The rooms were smaller than average, In my opinion. My interactions with the staff are good. I do enjoy Bingo. It seemed crowded and not very open or airy.

Florence Home Healthcare Center

7915 NORTH 30TH STREET, Omaha, NE 68112, Omaha, NE, 68112

I would not allow any of my family to go here ever again. My father was placed here as there were at the time no other options for him. The nursing staff during the daytime were wonderful, we really h … (read more)

Omaha Nursing and Rehab

4835 SOUTH 49TH STREET, Omaha, NE, 68117

My mom has been at Omaha Nursing and Rehab for almost 3 yrs..i give them 10 stars.. My mom receives the best care from eveyone from nurses, aides, dietary staff, social director, volunteers etc..i wou … (read more)

The Ambassador Omaha

1540 NORTH 72ND STREET, Omaha, NE, 68114

My dad was in The Ambassador for about two weeks. It was clean, and he liked the food there. The worst thing was the kind of care he received there, and there was no security in the building. My broth … (read more)

Lindenwood Nursing Home

910 SOUTH 40TH STREET, Omaha, NE, 68105

This is a small facility "” offering 12 rooms of assisted living and 20 of skilled nursing. The main street nearby is busy, but the facility itself is on a quieter street, and rather peaceful. The … (read more)

Nebraska Skilled Nursing & Rehab

7410 MERCY ROAD, Omaha, NE, 68124

this place is a complete joke. Basically if you love your family member and want even just a little bit of dignity to remain in their last years of life you won’t send them here. Let’s start with the … (read more)

Douglas County Health Center

4102 WOOLWORTH AVENUE, Omaha, NE, 68105

A resident’s experience in this facility appears to be somewhat based upon the floor they reside on. Regardless, a resident’s experience is greatly determined by their benefits and income. For exa … (read more)

Innovate Physical Therapy

1804 Hillcrest Dr, Bellevue, NE, 68005

Nursing Home Costs in Council Bluffs, IA

In Council Bluffs, a semiprivate room in a skilled nursing facility costs $8,182 per month, and private rooms cost even more at $9,247.

The Cost of Nursing Home Care in Nearby Cities

According to the Genworth 2020 Cost of Care Survey, seniors in Council Bluffs can expect to pay approximately $8,182 per month for a semiprivate room in a local nursing home. Prices in the Omaha metropolitan area are 25% higher than the state median but just 5% higher than the rest of the nation. Seniors in Des Moines pay about $1,000 less per month. Looking west, Lincoln, Nebraska, is moderately more affordable, with an average of $7,254. To the north, seniors in Sioux City save about $1,670 per month at $6,509.

$8182

Sioux City

$7254

Lincoln, NE

The Cost of Other Types of Senior Care

Cost is an influential variable when considering which type of care is most appropriate for seniors. Prices start at $1,625 for adult day health care at a recreation center. Seniors who wish to receive services in their own homes may opt for home care, which costs an average of $4,767 per month, or home health care for $4,957. This is more than the cost of an all-inclusive apartment in an assisted living facility, which averages around $4,523. Since a private room in a nursing home costs about twice as much, this level of care is reserved for individuals with the greatest need.

$4767

Adult day health care

$4523

Assisted living

$8182

Nursing home (semiprivate room)

$9247

Nursing home (private room)

Note: Data for Council Bluffs was unavailable, so data for the nearest city, Omaha, NE, was used instead.

Financial Assistance for Nursing Home Care in Council Bluffs, IA

Free Resources for Seniors in Council Bluffs, IA

Seniors in Council Bluffs have access to a variety of government-sponsored services and recreational activities to promote healthy aging. The following organizations offer services to support seniors who live in the community, and the Area Agency on Aging can assist with the transition to nursing home care.

Resource

Contact

Service

The Connections Area Agency on Aging operates regional offices in Council Bluffs, Sioux City and Creston. This agency is a gateway to information about Medicaid long-term care benefits and community-based services. Staff members can coordinate needs assessments for seniors who require long-term care in a nursing home or residential setting. Physical therapy and home modifications, including ramps, are available through the CAPABLE program, and many other services are available to all area residents aged 60 and older.

West Central Community Action administers two federal programs that help seniors manage their energy bills. The Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program pays a portion of residents' wintertime heating bills, and it provides emergency assistance to prevent disconnection or help seniors restore their service. The Weatherization Assistance Program covers energy-saving structural upgrades that are completed by qualified contractors.

Attorneys at Iowa Legal Aid can help seniors plan for the future and provide advice about civil legal issues that need immediate attention. Its elder law experts provide information on finding nursing homes, paying for care, setting up Medicaid trusts and creating wills and documents for health care decision-making. Free information is available online.

The YMCA of Greater Omaha operates the Healthy Living Center in Council Bluffs. This community center is a hub for older adults who enjoy fitness, swimming, reading and other hobbies. The campus features a gym, aquatic center and areas for crafts, card games and other recreational activities. It also offers ballroom dancing and social events.