15 Assisted Living Facilities near Council Bluffs, IA
Also serving communities of Glenwood, Missouri Valley.
There are 15 Assisted Living Facilities in the Council Bluffs area, with 5 in Council Bluffs and 10 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Council Bluffs is $3,260 per month. This is lower than the national median of $3,500. Cheaper nearby regions include La Vista with an average starting cost of $3,137.
To help you with your search, browse the 65 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Council Bluffs. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Council Bluffs 4.7 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Wahoo with an average rating of 4.8 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped 6 families in Council Bluffs find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Council Bluffs, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 10 Assisted Living Facilities in Council Bluffs, IA
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Council Bluffs
In the historic city of Council Bluffs, Iowa and surrounding areas, assisted living communities are commonly referred to as "assisted living residences" or ALRs. Within Council Bluffs, there are four ALRs and an additional 40 in neighboring communities such as Glenwood and just across the Nebraska state line in Omaha. Room and board and varying levels of personal care and activities are provided to aging seniors at the assisted living communities. ALRs in Council Bluffs are regulated by the Iowa Department of Inspections and Appeals, Adult Services Bureau and supported by the Iowa Assisted Living Association.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Council Bluffs
- Although the violent crime rate for Council Bluffs is 38 percent lower than the national average, the overall Council Bluffs crime rate (property crimes and violent crimes) is higher than the national average.
- The cost of living in Council Bluffs is 4 percent lower than the Iowa state average and 15 percent lower than the national cost of living, making Council Bluffs an affordable choice for seniors.
- Recently given the distinction of Number 6 on the National Center for Arts Research Arts Vibrancy Index, the Council Bluffs metro area is known for its public art displays and cultural centers, which gives seniors plenty of activities to enjoy.
- The weather in Council Bluffs is average for the United States. Although the rain and snowfall is average for the nation, Council Bluffs is ranked below the national average on the Sperling's Comfort Index due to its dramatic temperatures in both winter and summer months. This could make it difficult for seniors to enjoy outdoor activities regularly.
- As of 2014, Iowa has phased out taxes on Social Security benefits. The state also provides deductions on other types of retirement income, leaving more money in your assisted living budget.
- Council Bluffs is home to world-class medical facilities, including, CHI Health Mercy Council Bluffs and Jennie Edmundson Hospital, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
Paying for Assisted Living in Council Bluffs
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Iowa
Assisted Living costs in Council Bluffs start around $3,260 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Council Bluffs and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Council Bluffs
Eligible seniors in the Council Bluffs area can apply for Long Term Support Services (LTSS), which provides financial assistance for assisted living care through Iowa Department of Human Services.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Iowa page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Iowa page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Council Bluffs
Council Bluffs and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Council Bluffs, please visit our Assisted Living in Iowa page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Council Bluffs
Council Bluffs-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Iowa are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Iowa page for more information about these laws.
Other Options in Council Bluffs, IA
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Council Bluffs
Review of Amelia Place
My mother is in Amelia Place for a month now, and she's doing very well. I'm very pleased with everything from beginning to end. They have been great, wonderful communication, my mother's happy, th... Read more
Review of The Heritage at Fox Run
My mother is happy at The Heritage at Fox Run. She was having problems, and Fox Run felt like they couldn't keep her anymore. I like how they have everything for her. She goes to her dresser, and s... Read more
Review of Bethany Heights Assisted Living
We toured Bethany Heights Assisted Living. They were very informative, the place was very clean, and their studio apartment was very satisfactory. I think we would have placed my mother there. Ther... Read more