13 Assisted Living Facilities near Elkhorn, NE
Also serving communities of Gretna, Bennington, Ashland.
There are 13 Assisted Living Facilities in the Elkhorn area, with 3 in Elkhorn and 10 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Elkhorn is $4,200 per month. This is higher than the national median of $3,450. Cheaper nearby regions include La Vista with an average starting cost of $3,137.
To help you with your search, browse the 90 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Elkhorn. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Elkhorn 4.6 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Wahoo with an average rating of 4.8 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Elkhorn, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 10 Assisted Living Facilities in Elkhorn, NE
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Elkhorn
Elkhorn is considered part of the Omaha, Nebraska, metro region. This small community is located close to picturesque Downtown Omaha, a walkable area with plenty of shopping, dining and outdoor entertainment and festivals for seniors to enjoy.
Elkhorn's population is just 6,000, 9% of whom are seniors aged 65 and older. As they age, many of these individuals may need to transition into one of the area's three assisted living facilities. Assisted living facilities in Nebraska are licensed and regulated by the state's Department of Health and Human Services. Each facility is required to provide services that include three meals per day, staff available 24 hours a day, help with daily living activities and noncomplex nursing interventions.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Elkhorn
- Residents of Elkhorn enjoy all four seasons, with cold, snowy winters and lows that drop into the teens. Summers are warm, with July high temperatures in the mid-80s.
- Nebraska is one of the least tax-friendly states for retirees. Social Security and retirement income are subject to state income tax. In addition, Nebraska residents pay high property taxes. Elkhorn seniors budgeting for assisted living may want to take this into account.
- The overall cost of living in Omaha, of which Elkhorn is a part, is 95 compared to the national average of 100. Housing costs average 87 compared to 100, although healthcare costs are 25% higher than the country's average. While the lower housing costs may mean assisted living fees may be less, the higher healthcare costs may be of concern to many seniors.
- Elkhorn residents have access to Omaha's Metro bus line. Seniors aged 65 and older and people with a qualifying disability may be eligible for reduced rates. Paratransit is also available.
- Elkhorn, as part of the greater Omaha area, is home to world-class medical facilities, including Aurora Lakeland Medical Center and Mercy Elkhorn Medical Center in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- Overall crime rates in the greater Omaha area are notably higher than the rest of the nation. Violent crimes are at 34 compared to the national average of 23, while property crimes, including petty theft and car break-ins, are 56 compared to the U.S average of 35. Elkhorn seniors are advised to take precautions with themselves and their property.
Note: Data reported on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Elkhorn
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Nebraska
Assisted Living costs in Elkhorn start around $4,200 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Elkhorn and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Elkhorn
Nebraska residents who receive Medicaid may be eligible for the state's Assisted Living Waiver to help offset the costs of assisted living community fees. The waiver may help cover medical care for those in assisted living, but in most cases, it doesn't pay for room and board.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Nebraska page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Nebraska page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Elkhorn
Elkhorn and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Elkhorn, please visit our Assisted Living in Nebraska page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Elkhorn
Elkhorn-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Nebraska are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Nebraska page for more information about these laws.
Other Options in Elkhorn, NE
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Elkhorn
Review of Elk Ridge Village Retirement Community
Elk Ridge was very good, very clean, and the longevity of the staff was very good. The people were very friendly. They had a salon, exercise, and games. The dining area looked great. Read more
Review of Marquis Place
Marquis Place of Elkhorn is my number 2 choice. I really liked it, but I thought the rooms were kind of small. They had an activity schedule, and they had places where families could meet and have ... Read more
Review of Elk Ridge Village Retirement Community
Most helpers are helpful and willing to change if desired. Appreciate frequent request to pick up trash. Wish name tags were longer and easier to read. Read more