St. Louis is a major American city that retains its friendly Midwestern charm. The city has a population of 300,576, 13.1% of whom are senior citizens. As home to two major research universities, the city has a variety of high-quality medical care options, including the Barnes-Jewish Hospital, which is ranked the best in the state and #18 in the entire country by U.S. News. According to Genworth’s 2020 Cost of Care Survey, nursing home costs in the area are low compared to the U.S. median. While a semiprivate room costs $5,355 per month in St. Louis, the national median is much higher at $7,756.

Nursing homes are designed for seniors who need high levels of care 24/7. Staff in these communities can help with medication, mobility and morning hygiene routines, and skilled nurses and rehabilitative therapists are available on-site. Because nursing homes tend to be more expensive than other types of senior care, people who only need some of these services may be more comfortable with assisted living or home health care.

This guide provides information on the cost of nursing homes in St. Louis and surrounding cities and the resources available to seniors in the area.

Directory of Nursing Homes in Saint Louis, Missouri

Bethesda Southgate

5943 Telegraph Road, Saint Louis, MO, 63129

Most of the people at Bethesda were in wheelchairs and a lot worse off than my mother. They have a daycare place, which is one thing we were considering. They were doing a lot of construction, but it … (read more)

Nazareth Living Center

#2 NAZARETH LANE, Saint Louis, MO, 63129

My father and sister have both been to Nazareth. I cannot thank them enough for their compassion and care. Tiannia in admissions went over and above in helping us deal with the financial end and Cathy … (read more)

St Louis Altenheim

5408 South Broadway , Saint Louis, MO, 63111

(read more)
(read more)

Parkside Towers

4960 LACLEDE AVENUE, Saint Louis, MO, 63108

The staff seemed to be pretty friendly. At times, they come across and somewhat cold, but I do think part of it was due to the fact that it was so busy there. But for the most part, they were useful i … (read more)

St. Anthony’s Medical Center

10010 Kennerly Rd, , Saint Louis, MO, 63128

We had to put my husband in the hospital, and they are going to put him in a nursing home. He was in there about eight years ago for rehab. I liked it because they never knew when I was going to pop i … (read more)

Laclede Groves

723 SOUTH LACLEDE STATION RD, Saint Louis, MO, 63119

My mother with dimensia broke her hip. Her care was superb. The care providers were loving. The therapy provided great results and was reinforced by the rest of the care providers. The facilities … (read more)

Bentleys Extended Care

3060 ASHBY ROAD, Saint Louis, MO, 63114

The staff is great and love the care my mom receives. I highly recommend this facility.

Lansdowne Place

4624 LANSDOWNE AVENUE, Saint Louis, MO, 63116

My mother was at Landsdowne Village for a few years at the end of her struggle with Alheimer’s. The staff at Landsdowne took good care of her. The nursing staff were warm and kind and all seemed to … (read more)

Delmar Gardens South

5300 BUTLER HILL ROAD, Saint Louis, MO, 63128

I was at Delmar after I fell and broke my leg. I wasn’t happy about needing rehab but wasn’t surprised at how nice my stay was. Though I would have preferred a private room they took into consideratio … (read more)

Garrison Care Center

2939 MAGAZINE AVE, Saint Louis, MO, 63106

Everything is nice at Garrison Care Center. My brother is getting what he needs there. It is small, yet big enough to do what they have to do. They have bingo, and he goes fishing. The food is great; … (read more)

Village North Retirement Community

11160 Village North Drive, Saint Louis, MO, 63136

My 81 year old mother has been living in the long term care portion of this facility since July 2016. She has adjusted very well and the staff is very kind to her. The facility is extremely clean. We … (read more)

Garden View Care Center of Dougherty Ferry

13612 Big Bend Road, Saint Louis, MO, 63088

Garden View Center Center is a great place for your loved one. My Mom is very happy there and the staff is great. Thank you for all you do.

Green Park Senior Living Community

9350 Green Park Road, Saint Louis, MO, 63123

Terrible place for your loved one and you… nothing but disappointment and they use covid as a cover to be even more negligent.. don’t go here if you dont have to.. rooms are 8n decent shape from wha … (read more)

Charless Place

4431 South Broadway, Saint Louis, MO, 63111

My aunt stayed here after a terrible car accident because she was unable to care for herself. I thought this facility was very nice overall. It was clean and well-maintained. The staff was helpful … (read more)

Green Valley Nursing & Rehabilitation Center

610 PRIGGE ROAD, Saint Louis, MO, 63138

GREAT PLACE , MY GREAT GRANDMOTHER LOVES IT THERE
GREAT PLACE , MY GREAT GRANDMOTHER LOVES IT THERE

Barnes-jewish Extended Care

401 CORPORATE PARK DRIVE, Saint Louis, MO, 63105

A fine facility with quality care for rehabilitation and extended care. Good communication and access to professional staff. Still, family members/caregivers must be proactive to ensure highest level … (read more)

The Riverview Care Center

5500 SOUTH BROADWAY, Saint Louis, MO, 63111

Bethesda Dilworth Adult Day Care

9645 BIG BEND BLVD, Saint Louis, MO, 63122

My father was in rehab at Bethesda Dilworth. I would have given it a 5, but my dad likes the food better where he currently is. He really liked the place and the staff was friendly and caring. We coul … (read more)

Aperion Care Hidden Lake

11728 Hidden Lake Dr, Saint Louis, MO, 63138

My father was here for two weeks before going back to the hospital — and when he came out of the hospital we placed him somewhere else. The young manager who gives the tour did a great sales job, a … (read more)

Bent- Wood Nursing Center

1501 Charbonier Road, Saint Louis, MO, 63031

My uncle is there.. he tells me it’s been over a week since he was last showered and they constantly give him food that causes him to vomit.., I’m only meeting him in the dinning room cause I’m … (read more)

Nursing Home Costs in Saint Louis, Missouri

Semiprivate rooms in St. Louis nursing homes have an average monthly cost of $5,355. For a private room, this price increases to $6,479.

The Cost of Nursing Home Care in Nearby Cities

Compared to the cost of a semiprivate nursing home room in St. Louis, the state average is slightly more affordable at $5,080. However, the national average cost is much higher at $7,756.

Nursing home costs in St. Louis are similar to those in nearby Cape Girardeau, which averages $5,171. Joseph is more affordable at $4,867, as is capital city Jefferson, which has an average semiprivate nursing home room cost of $5,019 per month. Kansas City has some of the highest costs in the state, averaging $6,844 per month.

$5355

Cape Girardeau

$6844

Kansas City

The Cost of Other Types of Senior Care

Nursing home care is the most expensive care option in St. Louis, while other types of senior care in St. Louis are more affordable. Assisted living placement costs $3,750 per month. Adult day health care is the most affordable option, averaging $1,842. Those who would like to remain in their homes can use homemaker and home health aide services, which both average $4,481. In comparison, a semiprivate room in a nursing facility costs an average of $5,355, while a private room averages $6,479.

$4481

Adult day health care

$3750

Assisted living

$5355

Nursing home (semiprivate room)

$6479

Nursing home (private room)

Financial Assistance for Nursing Home Care in Saint Louis, Missouri

Free Resources for Seniors in Saint Louis, Missouri

A variety of free resources are available for seniors and their family in Saint Louis to help aging loved ones stay at home as long as possible, even with some in-home services. When a transition into a skilled nursing home is necessary, other resources listed below can help with that process.

ResourceContactService
St. Louis Area Agency on Aging(314) 612-5918This organization offers a variety of services that can help seniors maintain their independence or find placement in a long-term care community. A home repair and chore program offers basic home modifications, such as ramps and handrails, and a transportation program helps seniors get to appointments and errands. Seniors can also access assistance with tax preparation, rent rebates and home-delivered meals.
Catholic Charities’ Archdiocese of Saint Louis(314) 367-5500The Cardinal Ritter Senior Services division offers a day program where seniors can get assistance and supervision during the day. The program offers housing services, including assisted living and skilled nursing. Seniors can also access mental health counseling, case management and legal aid, as well as emergency assistance and spiritual activities.
Legal Services of Eastern Missouri1 (800) 444-0514Low-income adults and seniors can get free help with civil matters, such as consumer and housing issues. An elder law initiative helps seniors gain access to federal benefits and can also help create wills and health care directives. Experts are available to provide advice and representation in cases relating to tax collection, consumer fraud and identity theft.
Missouri Department of Health & Senior Services(573) 751-6400Seniors can access educational workshops to help them age safely in their homes, including fall prevention and chronic disease management classes. This organization also offers information and placement for long-term care services, such as assisted living and nursing homes. The long-term care ombudsman program protects residents of nursing homes and assisted living facilities from neglect and exploitation.