50 Assisted Living Facilities near Saint Louis, MO
There are 50 Assisted Living Facilities in the Saint Louis area, with 40 in Saint Louis and 10 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Saint Louis is $4,760 per month. This is higher than the national median of $3,500. Cheaper nearby regions include St. Louis with an average starting cost of $4,057.
To help you with your search, browse the 162 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Saint Louis. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Saint Louis 4.0 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include St. Louis with an average rating of 4.2 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped 8 families in Saint Louis find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Saint Louis, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 10 Assisted Living Facilities in Saint Louis, MO
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Saint Louis
Gooey butter cake, Imo's pizza and toasted ravioli are just a few of the tasty foods St. Louisians crave. Seniors who can't part with these foods can remain close to their hometown favorites by moving into one of the 112 assisted living facilities scattered throughout the St. Louis area. The Department of Health and Senior Services protects the safety of Missouri seniors by carefully regulating the state's assisted living communities, including facilities in Saint Louis.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Saint Louis
- The Saint Louis area is home to world-class medical facilities, including St. Mary's Hospital and Barnes-Jewish Hospital, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- Seniors who prefer a mix of weather find that Saint Louis meets their needs. Average temperatures range from 25 to 89, with the coldest temperatures occurring during winter and the warmest during summer. Heat advisories may take place during hot, humid summer days, so air conditioning and fans are essential for seniors sensitive to high temperatures.
- Saint Louis is a member of the AARP Network of Age-Friendly Communities, meaning that its elected leadership “has made the commitment to actively work toward making their town, city or county a great place for people of all ages,” according to AARP.
- The MetroLink and MetroBus make it simple to explore Saint Louis, whether seniors visit medical professionals or explore local attractions. Both of these transportation options offer discounted rates for seniors. Another option is the Downtown Trolley that has stops near Busch Stadium, Enterprise Center and the City Museum.
- Frugal seniors may appreciate that Saint Louis has a score of 88.7 on the cost of living scale, which is more than 11 points lower than the national average. Residents of Saint Louis have significantly lower housing costs than other parts of the nation, and they also pay less for groceries and health care on average.
- Saint Louis is one of the most dangerous cities in America. The city is only safer than 1 percent of other U.S. cities, so seniors should keep their doors and windows locked and avoid navigating the city alone when possible.
Paying for Assisted Living in Saint Louis
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Missouri
Assisted Living costs in Saint Louis start around $4,760 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Saint Louis and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Saint Louis
Saint Louis seniors concerned about the cost of assisted living facilities have two choices: the Supplemental Nursing Care Assistance Program and the Missouri Medicaid Aged and Disabled Waiver. Medicaid manages both programs, so income restrictions apply.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Missouri page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Missouri page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Saint Louis
Saint Louis and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Saint Louis, please visit our Assisted Living in Missouri page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Saint Louis
Saint Louis-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Missouri are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Missouri page for more information about these laws.
Assisted Living near Saint Louis, MO
Other Options in Saint Louis, MO
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Saint Louis
Review of St Louis Altenheim
I'm going to move to St. Louis Altenheim. I'm actually looking forward to it. They're very helpful, warm, and friendly. They look out after a person's best interest. It's a unique place. It was a... Read more
Review of Cedarhurst of Tesson Heights
My father is in Cedarhurst of Tesson Heights. It's close to my house and they outsource health nurses and that kind of stuff. If we needed a little bit more care, he could get that. He's in assiste... Read more
Review of Bethesda Hawthorne Place
My mother moved into Bethesda Hawthorne Place three weeks ago. It's close to me. The staff is very nice and helpful. She hasn't said anything either way about the food. I can't go there and see mom... Read more