St. Louis County is located in the heart of the nation and is a popular vacation destination for its outstanding dining venues, unique shops, exciting year-round events and must-see landmarks. It provides a vibrant backdrop for assisted living with amenities, such as the 200-seat .ZACK Theatre and the Ameristar Casino Resort Spa. Those seeking quieter pastimes won’t want to miss the St. Louis County Library, which features 21 branches throughout the county, as well as the region’s many senior centers. With these amenities, it isn’t surprising that nearly one in five of the county’s 990,000 residents are seniors.

There are approximately 57 licensed assisted living facilities in St. Louis County. According to national data, assisted living rates in this region come in at $3,750 monthly, which is higher than the state median but lower than the national average. However, assisted living rates may vary between facilities, depending on the location, as well as the amenities and services offered.

Directory of Assisted Living Facilities in Saint Louis County, MO

Sunrise of Webster Groves

45 E. Lockwood Avenue, Webster Groves, MO, 63119

We went to Sunrise of Webster Groves. If my mother’s gonna go into one, that’s the one she said she wants to go into. We like the staff. The facilities were great. They took a lot of time to explain e … (read more)

Fairmont on Clayton

7920 Clayton Road, Richmond Heights, MO, 63117

I liked Sunrise On Clayton. It seemed like a nice place, but the price range was a little too high for us. It’s a very fancy place. The food seemed good. It didn’t seem like there was a lot of communi … (read more)

Brookdale West County

785 Henry Avenue, Ballwin, MO, 63011

Brookdale West County is located in the St. Louis suburb of Ballwin, Missouri, home to Castlewood State Park and the National Museum of Transportation. Visitors describe the facility as wonderful with … (read more)

2014, 2017

Brookdale Creve Coeur

One New Ballas Place, Creve Coeur, MO, 63146

Nestled in a wooded area with a beautiful pond, Brookdale Creve Coeur is located in Creve Coeur, Missouri, close to the Fox Theatre and the Missouri Botanical Gardens. Visitors describe the facility f … (read more)

Anthology of Town & Country

1020 Woods Mill Road, Town And Country, MO, 63017

I visited Anthology of Town & Country. It was a little far from our particular location, more than 20 minutes. That one’s a little far from home, but that location was very nice. The staff was ver … (read more)

The Garden Plaza of Florissant

1101 Garden Plaza Drive, Florissant, MO, 63033

The tour at The Garden Plaza of Florissant was fine. We just walked around, and we saw the place, and everything looked nice and clean. The person who accommodated me was very informative and she knew … (read more)

2016, 2022

Autumn View Gardens – Ellisville

16219 Autumn View Terrace Drive, Ellisville, MO, 63011

My mom had heard about Autumn View Gardens – Ellisville in her independent living facility and some people that she lived with, in their independent community elsewhere had chosen it as an assisted li … (read more)

2014, 2021

Autumn View Gardens – St. Louis

11210 Schuetz Rd., Saint Louis, MO, 63146

Autumn View Gardens Assisted Living Creve Coeur is located in St. Louis, Missouri, close to Old Warson Country Club, the St. Louis Zoo and the St. Louis Galleria. Visitors say the staff seem to truly … (read more)

Friendship Village Sunset Hills

12777 Village Circle Drive, Sunset Hills, MO, 63127

Everything about Friendship Village Sunset Hills was excellent. It’s very clean and very well-kept. The towels, sheets, blankets, all that stuff were all cleaned and laundered. I had a friend staying … (read more)

Sunrise of Chesterfield

1880 Clarkson Road, Chesterfield, MO, 63017

I toured the Sunrise of Chesterfield. They said they were going to help my sister shower and all that. They interviewed her. They came and visited to see if she would be a fit for their community. The … (read more)

Anthology of Clayton View

8825 Eager Rd., St. Louis, MO, 63144

My father-in-law has moved into Anthology of Clayton View. He has been there for about a month now. It’s very nice. The staff seems to be very attentive. So far, he is pretty happy. He got a studio pl … (read more)

2013

Friendship Village Chesterfield

15250 Village View Drive, Chesterfield, MO, 63017

I like Friendship Village Chesterfield. It’s a little bit more expensive and a little bit out of my range, but I like it. All the accommodations were lovely. People were starting to go out and visit. … (read more)

The Sheridan at Chesterfield

16300 Justus Post Road, Chesterfield, MO, 63017

The Sheridan at Chesterfield was really very nice. They had a chef, so they were very concerned about good food. The food is good there. The other thing was that their physical therapy was very active … (read more)

Estates of Hidden Lake

11728 Hidden Lake Dr., St. Louis, MO, 63138

I visited the Estates of Hidden Lake. It was a very nice tour. The staff were very nice, he was very pleasant. Everybody was very polite; I have no complaint. I had lunch there, and it was good. They … (read more)

Kingsland Walk Senior Living

868 Kingsland Avenue, University City, MO, 63130

I just recently visited and selected Kingsland Walk as the next home for my mother. She is very excited about moving as she was very active prior to Covid. Now that she is no longer able to drive an … (read more)

Anthology of Wildwood

251 Plaza Drive, Wildwood, MO, 63040

We recently admitted my father into this facility after an exhaustive search. There were six of us siblings making choices so it was involved. Antholgy of Wildwood had just the right combination of … (read more)

Chesterfield Villas

14901 North Outer 40 Road, Chesterfield, MO, 63017

Sunrise of Des Peres

13460 Manchester Road, Des Peres, MO, 63131

My mother-in-law will be moving into Sunrise of Des Peres. She’s wheelchair bound. This is a level 3 assisted living and they could do a Hoyer lifting. The rooms were smaller than I wanted. The facili … (read more)

Clarendale Clayton

7651 Clayton Road, Clayton, MO, 63117

Garden Villas North

4505 Parker Road, Florissant, MO, 63033

My sister moved into Garden Villas North, and I think she’s doing very well. The personnel is very helpful and friendly. The person administrator, Patty, helped get us started, and I think my sister k … (read more)

Paying for Assisted Living in Saint Louis County

According to Genworth Financial’s 2020 Cost of Care Survey, assisted living facilities in the United States charge approximately $4,300 per month for services. However, care costs are closely tied to factors, such as the number of available facilities and local living costs, meaning that fees range considerably across the country. In Missouri, monthly rates are $1,300 lower at $3,000, making it an economical option for seniors. In St. Louis County, which shares data with the City of St. Louis, care costs are higher than the state median but lower than the national rate at $3,750 monthly.

The Cost of Assisted Living in Nearby Cities

St. Louis County is moderately priced for assisted living services at $3,750 monthly, but seniors seeking more affordable options have several cities to choose from. The least expensive city for this level of care is Joplin, which is located about 270 miles to the southwest of the county’s center. Here, fees are lower than state and national rates at $2,500 per month. In Springfield, seniors pay about $3,100 per month, and in Jefferson City, the state’s capital city, fees are a little higher at $3,150. In Cape Girardeau, assisted living facilities charge $3,374 per month, and in St. Joseph, rates come in at $3,488. The most expensive city in Missouri for assisted living is Kansas City, where fees average $4,460.

$3750

Cape Girardeau

$3488

St. Joseph

Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Saint Louis County

Seniors in St. Louis County may be eligible for financial assistance through Missouri’s optional state supplementation (OSS) program. This cash assistance program is available to seniors who live in a licensed assisted living facility and don’t have sufficient income to pay for their care.

Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Missouri page.

More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living

• Veterans Benefits
  • Life Insurance Policy
  • Long-Term Care Insurance
  • Reverse Mortgage

For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Missouri page.

Free Assisted Living Resources in Saint Louis County

ResourceContact Service
Aging Ahead(636) 207-0847Aging Ahead is the Area Agency on Aging that serves older adults in St. Louis County. It offers a wide range of free and low-cost programs and resources for those aged 60 and over. Its Community Options Specialists help seniors connect with local programs that best fit their needs, and through its 21 community centers, it provides socialization opportunities and congregate meals. Its Choice program offers information and referral services in community locations, such as libraries and senior centers, to help seniors access the resources they need. The city of St. Louis is served by its own AAA, which residents can reach by calling (314) 612-5918.
Northside Youth and Senior Service Center(314) 531-1937Northside Youth and Senior Service Center is one of a dozen senior centers in St. Louis County. At this location, qualifying seniors can access nutrition programs, including congregate meals, and a transportation service that helps them attend social gatherings, errands and medical appointments. The center’s Senior Fitness Program promotes healthy aging and has classes that improve balance and prevent muscle loss, and it provides screenings for age-related conditions. The center also connects older adults with community and federal resources.
Regional Veterans Office(314) 253-4389The St. Louis Regional Office is operated by the Veterans Administration and provides a variety of services to meet the needs of local veterans and their spouses or survivors. Its certified Officers counsel visitors on their eligibility for VA benefits and provide information on how to apply, as well as information about VA healthcare and memorial benefits. Through this local office, qualifying veterans can obtain benefits that help cover assisted living expenses, including the VA pension and the Aid and Attendance benefit.
Legal Services of Eastern Missouri(314) 534-4200Legal Services of Eastern Missouri is a nonprofit legal firm that provides free civil legal services to qualifying individuals in St. Louis County. It specializes in elder law and serves residents aged 60 and over through housing assistance, consumer advocacy and benefits assistance. Its representatives help older adults obtain benefits that may help them pay for assisted living, including Medicaid, Social Security and Supplemental Security Income. It also helps with assigning powers of attorney and creating simple wills.
CLAIM(800) 390-3330CLAIM is the state health insurance information program for older adults. Through this program, trained volunteers provide seniors with information about their health insurance options and help them compare Medicare Advantage Plans, long-term care insurance policies and prescription drug plans, helping them get the policies that best fit their needs and budget. CLAIM counselors can also help older adults sort and understand their medical bills and recognize and resolve billing errors.

Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Saint Louis County

St. Louis-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Missouri are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Missouri page for more information about these laws.

Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Saint Louis County