83 Assisted Living Facilities near Kirkwood, MO
Also serving communities of Des Peres, Town And Country.
There are 83 Assisted Living Facilities in the Kirkwood area, with 3 in Kirkwood and 80 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Kirkwood is $6,480 per month. This is higher than the national median of $3,500. Cheaper nearby regions include Webster Groves with an average starting cost of $3,915.
To help you with your search, browse the 361 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Kirkwood. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Kirkwood 4.1 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Sunset Hills with an average rating of 4.2 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Kirkwood, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 10 Assisted Living Facilities in Kirkwood, MO
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Kirkwood
Kirkwood is a small nine-square-mile community with high property values and more than 300 acres of parkland. The Kirkwood area has 56 Assisted Living Facilities (ALFs) to accommodate the town's senior population. Three communities lie within Kirkwood, and an additional 53 are nearby. The licensing of ALFs in Missouri are governed by the Missouri Department of Health & Senior Services (DHSS). Seniors and their loved ones can familiarize themselves with these regulations online by viewing the DHSS website.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Kirkwood
- St. Louis County is a member of the AARP Network of Age-Friendly Communities, meaning that its elected leadership “has made the commitment to actively work toward making their town, city or county a great place for people of all ages,” according to AARP.
- The Kirkwood area is home to world-class medical facilities, including St. Luke's Des Peres Hospital and St. Anthony's at Kirkwood Urgent Care, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- The American Lung Association gave St. Louis County a poor Ozone rating of F and a Particle Pollution 24-hour score of C. Seniors with breathing difficulties or a respiratory illness may be adversely affected by these conditions.
- Kirkwood has an array of community resources for seniors, including the St. Louis Area Agency on Aging, an organization that provides information on services for the aging population of greater St. Louis as well as the Kirkwood Community Center's senior group.
- The cost of living in Kirkwood is 11.70 percent higher than the national average. This may make it difficult for seniors on a tight budget to afford daily living expenses or entertainment.
- Seniors who enjoy spending time outdoors might dislike Kirkwood's average annual snowfall of 14 inches and January low of 24 degrees. July provides a comfortable high of 89 degrees which might entice seniors willing to brace the cold.
Paying for Assisted Living in Kirkwood
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Missouri
Assisted Living costs in Kirkwood start around $6,480 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Kirkwood and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Kirkwood
Missouri seniors in need of financial assistance have several options. Missouri’s Pharmacy Assistance program, MORx helps reduce the cost of prescription medication. The state's Medicaid plan covers eligible individuals for nursing services and has several waivers seniors may qualify for. Those who are not Medicaid-eligible might qualify for help under the Older Americans Act.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Missouri page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Missouri page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Kirkwood
Kirkwood and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Kirkwood, please visit our Assisted Living in Missouri page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Kirkwood
Kirkwood-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Missouri are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Missouri page for more information about these laws.
Assisted Living near Kirkwood, MO
Other Options in Kirkwood, MO
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Kirkwood
Review of The Glen at Aberdeen Heights
I have seen all three levels in Aberdeen Heights. I had a friend who stayed in the independent living, in the assisted living, and rehab. It was excellent, but very expensive for an average person.... Read more
Review of The Glen at Aberdeen Heights
I visited there with my mother. We were told she had to have at least $500,000 to get into Assisted Living. When has more than 5X that, but to get on the wait list we were told we didn't need to li... Read more
Review of St Agnes Home
My parents are in an apartment at St Agnes Home. It is clean and the right size for them. It has a bedroom and a living room, and it suits their needs. The staff has been very good. They're very sa... Read more