Shrewsbury is a small borough of just 3,800 people in the northeastern most corner of New Jersey. This quiet community has minimal crime and great air quality, and it’s just 30 miles from the cultural amenities, restaurants and entertainment venues of New York City. With these features, it’s not surprising that it has a large senior community that accounts for almost 18% of its population.

For seniors who need some help with daily living activities and want access to curated social and recreational programming, assisted living may be a good option. In Shrewsbury, this level of care costs approximately $5,991 per month, which is higher than the national median but affordable compared to other cities in New Jersey. Prices vary depending on a facility’s location and amenities. There are 19 facilities in the Shrewsbury region, including one within the city proper and 18 more within 8 miles.

Directory of Assisted Living Facilities in Shrewsbury, NJ

Sunrise of Shrewsbury

766 Broad St., Shrewsbury, NJ, 07702

The Sunrise of Shrewsbury is just beautiful. The facility is just beautiful. It’s brand new. I think it’s only been open for like three or four years. It’s modern, and they have a lot of very, very ni … (read more)

2015

Brandywine Living at The Sycamore

5 Meridian Way, Shrewsbury, NJ, 07702

I became a resident of Brandywine approximately one year ago. I had suffered COVID twice before coming and came in very disoriented and physically weak (I was in a wheelchair). Through a combination o … (read more)

The Chelsea at Shrewsbury

515 Shrewsbury Avenue, Shrewsbury, NJ, 07702

2016

Atria Tinton Falls

44 Pine Street, Tinton Falls, NJ, 07753

Atria Senior Living was small and close-knit, which was nice for assisted living. I liked it. The living spaces were small. They have lots of activities, a very nice dining room, lovely staff, and ver … (read more)

2016

Arbor Terrace Shrewsbury

864 Shrewsbury Ave., Tinton Falls, NJ, 07724

My uncle is at Arbor Terrace Shrewsbury. Between my sister, brother and me, the location was really key. We also got great recommendations from friends at work and in the healthcare area. They gave th … (read more)

Allegria at Ocean Grove

70 Stockton Avenue, Ocean Grove, NJ, 07756

I toured Allegria at Ocean Grove for my brother. The physical appearance looked kind of rundown and the rooms are kind of chopped up a lot. It just wasn’t appealing. The staff was helpful, but not ove … (read more)

2018

Sunrise of Lincroft

734 Newman Springs Road, Lincroft, NJ, 07738

I liked Sunrise of Lincroft, I liked the setting. The grounds were lovely, very, very pretty. Lincroft is a little bit more laid back, a very nice campus. It’s around 20 years old. The square footage … (read more)

Arbor Terrace Middletown

1800 Highway 35 South, Middletown, NJ, 07748

My friend just moved to Arbor Terrace about two months ago. I just went to visit him, and I couldn’t get over how nice everyone is! The community is beautiful. The residents were doing Zumba when I wa … (read more)

Brighton Gardens of Middletown

620 State Highway, 35 S, Middletown, NJ, 07748

Brighton Gardens of Middletown is 5 across the board. The woman we met with and the woman at the front desk were all wonderful, accommodating as far as answering any questions, and providing informati … (read more)

Millennium Memory Care – Holmdel

92 Stillwell Road, Holmdel, NJ, 07733

Millennium Memory Care – Ocean

111 Bowne Road, Ocean, NJ, 07712

My sister, Liz, has dementia and bipolar disorder. She was only accepted in one place — she is not in good shape — and that is Millennium Memory Care. Sometimes, we get to the facility and the front … (read more)

2013

Seabrook Retirement Community

3000 Essex Road, Tinton Falls, NJ, 07753

Do not have anyone you love or care about live there. They do not take care of you. They never even finished my mother room before she moved in. The closet doors were left off the closet.. room was … (read more)

The Chelsea at Tinton Falls

One Hartford Drive, Tinton Falls, NJ, 07701

I toured The Chelsea at Tinton Falls. It’s very quaint, like a bed and breakfast. It’s a small facility, only 75 residents. It was clean. In terms of activities going on, they had current events; they … (read more)

Jersey Shore Center

3 Industrial Way E, Eatontown, NJ, 07724

This facility is clean. However my mother had hip surgery, partial replacement and went there for rehab. Almost everytime I went there(once a day) she would be in bed. She wasn’t eating well, however, … (read more)

MERIDIAN WILLOWS ASSISTED LIVING COMMUNITY

713 N Beers Street, Holmdel, NJ, 07733

The Willows was very nice. I liked it, and my mother liked it. It had a lot of positives. It was sort of a Victorian home setup, architecturally, where you walk in, and it had a big covered porch. The … (read more)

Paying for Assisted Living in Shrewsbury

The Genworth 2020 Cost of Care Survey provides comprehensive senior care cost data for states and communities across the United States. According to this survey, assisted living costs $4,300 per month on average in the United States. In regions with higher costs of living, assisted living tends to be more expensive. New Jersey is among the costliest states in the nation at $6,650, but some of its cities are relatively affordable. Data isn’t available for Shrewsbury, so its monthly care costs are based on fees charged in the City of New York, which is located about 30 miles north. Here, seniors pay $5,991 per month on average for assisted living, which is high compared to the national average but affordable by New Jersey’s standard.

The Cost of Assisted Living in Nearby Cities

Seniors in Shrewsbury pay $5,991 per month for assisted living, making it among the more affordable options in New Jersey for care. Trenton, which is located about 45 miles to the southwest, is the most expensive city in the state for this level of care, with monthly fees coming in at $7,478. In Vineland, facilities charge approximately $6,523. Atlantic City’s assisted living rates are about $200 lower than Shrewsbury’s average at $5,790 per month, and in Ocean City, rates are the lowest in the state at $4,945. Across state lines, care costs are comparable, with Dover, DE, seniors paying $4,920 per month for assisted living and those in Philadelphia, PA, paying $5,550.

$5991

Dover, DE

$5550

Philadelphia, PA

Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Shrewsbury

Assisted living services in Shrewsbury may be covered under the state’s Medicaid Managed Long-Term Services and Supports waiver.

Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in New Jersey page.

Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Shrewsbury

More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living

• Veterans Benefits
  • Life Insurance Policy
  • Long-Term Care Insurance
  • Reverse Mortgage

For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in New Jersey page.

Free Assisted Living Resources in Shrewsbury

ResourceContact Service
Office on Aging(732) 431-7450 Monmouth County Office on Aging is the designated Area Agency on Aging for the Shrewsbury region. This office provides information and referrals to help seniors connect with services in the community, including congregate meals, transportation and durable medical equipment loans. It has Medicare Part D specialists who help seniors assess their medication regimens and enroll in prescription drug coverage that fits their needs and budgets.
Senior Center(732) 747-5204 The closest senior center is a mile away in Red Bank, providing Shrewsbury seniors with easy access to social and recreational activities. This center overlooks the beautiful Navesink River and hosts a variety of activities, such as bridge, technology and arts and crafts classes, movie afternoons and book clubs. It also provides hot noontime meals for members, monthly health screenings and annual flu shot clinics and eye exams, as well as door-to-door transportation for local food markets. The center is open on weekdays from 8:30 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Family and Children’s Service (732) 222-9111Family and Children’s Service is a local nonprofit organization that provides a broad array of programs and services for qualifying residents of the Shrewsbury region. This location administers the State Health Insurance Assistance Program, which offers free, impartial health insurance options counseling for seniors. Trained SHIP volunteers answer seniors’ questions regarding their Medicare benefits and help them research available Medicare Advantage, Medigap and prescription drug plans, which can help them control assisted living and healthcare costs.
Division on Aging, Disabilities and Veterans Services (732) 683-8675The county’s Division on Aging, Disabilities and Veterans Services helps veterans obtain benefits and services they’re entitled to. Its advisors can help veterans gather the necessary documentation and apply for the Aid and Attendance benefit, pension programs and service-related and non-service-related disability compensation, which can be used toward assisted living expenses.
South Jersey Legal Services (732) 414-6750 South Jersey Legal Services is a regional nonprofit organization that offers free legal assistance, advice and representation for those aged 60 and over in Shrewsbury. It can help older adults determine eligibility and apply for public benefits that may help cover assisted living expenses, including Supplemental Security Income, Medicaid and Medicare Advantage plans. The office can also help seniors understand assisted living facility contracts and resolve issues related to the quality of care they receive.
New Jersey Long-Term Care Ombudsman(877) 582-6995The statewide long-term care ombudsman helps seniors and families identify options for covering assisted living services, understand residents’ rights and receive the services and supports in their care plans. The ombudsman can also field and investigate reports of abuse and neglect in long-term care facilities.

Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Shrewsbury

Shrewsbury-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in New Jersey are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in New Jersey page for more information about these laws.

Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Shrewsbury