Monmouth County has something for all seniors. There’s the tranquil setting of Avon-by-the-Sea with its traditional homes and golden beach and the more vibrant inland delights of Shrewsbury further to the north. The county has plenty of coastline for boat and sea lovers, while inland, there’s the beauty of Allaire State Park with its historic village and narrow-gauge railroad featuring vintage steam trains. The Monmouth County Park System is a must for golf lovers, offering six courses suitable for all skill levels, while the area’s theaters and arts centers cater to all tastes.

Monmouth County is home to many assisted living communities with 17 in the county seat of Freehold alone. According to the 2020 Genworth Cost of Care Survey, the average monthly cost of assisted living is $7,478, which is substantially higher than the national average of $4,300. This difference can be attributed in part to the county’s enduring appeal to seniors and the state’s above-average cost of living.

Directory of Assisted Living Facilities in Monmouth County, NJ

2016

Atria Tinton Falls

44 Pine Street, Tinton Falls, NJ, 07753

My dad was at Atria Tinton Falls for three weeks. We thought it would be a good thing, but it wasn’t for him, and he just kept saying, ‘Get me out of here.’ For the money, I didn’t think there was eno … (read more)

2016

Arbor Terrace Shrewsbury

864 Shrewsbury Ave., Tinton Falls, NJ, 07724

Arbor Terrace Shrewsbury was a very nice place, and it was a little newer. It was well organized and well maintained. The staff who gave me the tour was very knowledgeable. They had different levels o … (read more)

Allegria at Ocean Grove

70 Stockton Avenue, Ocean Grove, NJ, 07756

I toured Allegria at Ocean Grove for my brother. The physical appearance looked kind of rundown and the rooms are kind of chopped up a lot. It just wasn’t appealing. The staff was helpful, but not ove … (read more)

Sunrise of Marlboro

3A South Main Street, Marlboro, NJ, 07746

Remember when Frosty the snowman put on his magical hat & became alive….Well, this is how I feel the experience has been with my Mom at Sunrise of Marlboro. Mom was needing more care day to … (read more)

2015, 2020

Sunrise of Wall

2600 Allaire Road, Wall, NJ, 07719

My mother moved into Sunrise of Wall. The experience has been very good. It’s very clean, updated, and the staff is fantastic. She has no complaints about the food. They take them to the boardwalk, th … (read more)

Mattison Crossing at Manalapan Avenue

93 Manalapan Avenue, Freehold, NJ, 07728

My mom has moved to Mattison Crossing at Manalapan Avenue. The community is friendly, roomy, and very open. The staff is very friendly, they’re excellent, they have doctors on site, and their physical … (read more)

2018

Sunrise of Lincroft

734 Newman Springs Road, Lincroft, NJ, 07738

My mom has moved into Sunrise of Lincroft. She said she loves this place and made a decision before we even left. It has been there for 40 years, and she liked that it was very homey, like very famili … (read more)

Arbor Terrace Middletown

1800 Highway 35 South, Middletown, NJ, 07748

My friend just moved to Arbor Terrace about two months ago. I just went to visit him, and I couldn’t get over how nice everyone is! The community is beautiful. The residents were doing Zumba when I wa … (read more)

Brighton Gardens of Middletown

620 State Highway, 35 S, Middletown, NJ, 07748

Brighton Gardens of Middletown is 5 across the board. The woman we met with and the woman at the front desk were all wonderful, accommodating as far as answering any questions, and providing informati … (read more)

Sunrise of Shrewsbury

766 Broad St., Shrewsbury, NJ, 07702

Sunrise of Shrewsbury is a beautiful new facility. It’s big and it’s gorgeous. I wish I was 55, I would move in tomorrow. I loved it. While I was waiting to go in for a tour, I heard a sing-along goin … (read more)

Wellington Estates at Spring Lake

2018 Highway 35, Spring Lake, NJ, 07762

Wellington Estates at Spring Lake was a nice place. They have the same accommodations basically as the other facility. Their grounds were very nice. It was an older place, and they had carpeting inste … (read more)

Sunnyside Manor’s Independence ‘Plus’ Assisted Living

2500 Ridgewood Road, Wall, NJ, 07719

Sunnyside Manor’s Independence ‘Plus’ Assisted Living was clean. The rooms were just too small of a space for where my parents are coming from. We looked at both assisted living and memory care and th … (read more)

Millennium Memory Care – Holmdel

92 Stillwell Road, Holmdel, NJ, 07733

Millennium Memory Care – Ocean

111 Bowne Road, Ocean, NJ, 07712

My sister, Liz, has dementia and bipolar disorder. She was only accepted in one place — she is not in good shape — and that is Millennium Memory Care. Sometimes, we get to the facility and the front … (read more)

2013

Seabrook Retirement Community

3000 Essex Road, Tinton Falls, NJ, 07753

Do not have anyone you love or care about live there. They do not take care of you. They never even finished my mother room before she moved in. The closet doors were left off the closet.. room was … (read more)

2018, 2019, 2022

Brandywine Living At Howell

100 Meridian Place, Howell, NJ, 07731

The staff is awesome. They go out of their way to know each resident and what their preferences are. My mom loves them. The facility is beautiful and well maintained. I am most impressed by Amy, the a … (read more)

2015, 2019

Brandywine Living at Wall

2021 Highway 35, Wall, NJ, 07719

Our parents had homes in Avon and Florida for many years. When the pandemic hit, my sister and I felt they would be safer in Florida. But sadly both contracted Covid eight months later. Our … (read more)

2015

Brandywine Living at Governor’s Crossing

49 Lasatta Avenue, Englishtown, NJ, 07726

Facility is Clean! Food is ok Activities on point family visits mean a lot Staff always keeps us updated ! Some staff go above and beyond like Kyra , Carol , Jean, Brittany , Melissa and Amy Tha … (read more)

2015

Brandywine Living at The Sycamore

5 Meridian Way, Shrewsbury, NJ, 07702

I became a resident of Brandywine approximately one year ago. I had suffered COVID twice before coming and came in very disoriented and physically weak (I was in a wheelchair). Through a combination o … (read more)

Paying for Assisted Living in Monmouth County

Due to Freehold’s proximity to Trenton, the Genworth Cost of Care Survey bases assisted living prices for Monmouth County on data from the Trenton-Princeton metropolitan statistical area. This produces a figure of $7,478, which is higher than the state average of $6,650 and substantially higher than the national monthly median of $4,300. The higher costs reflect Monmouth County’s choice of rural locations, small cities and beach communities as well as its connections to major metropolitan areas of New Jersey, New York and Pennsylvania.

The Cost of Assisted Living in Nearby Cities

Monmouth County and Freehold/Trenton are the most expensive areas for assisted living within New Jersey when compared to Atlantic City at $5,790 and Vineland at $6,523. Moving beyond the state line and into Pennsylvania, assisted living is more affordable at $5,550 for Philadelphia. Rates drop substantially for Allentown at $3,550 and even further in Scranton at $2,450. However, costs rise to $4,050 for seniors in and around the Lancaster area. For families considering the New York area, which includes Newark, average costs are more affordable at $5,991 a month. Although Monmouth County is more expensive than its neighbors, it does offer a number of environmental benefits for seniors who prefer a suburban lifestyle with easy access to the attractions offered by major cities.

$7478

Scranton

$4050

Lancaster

Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Monmouth County

The Medicaid Managed Long-Term Services and Supports (MLTSS) is the state’s Medicaid waiver that offers support with assisted living costs to low-budget seniors who qualify. There are no state-funded programs that provide aid for assisted living at this time.

Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in New Jersey page.

Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in New Jersey

More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living

• Veterans Benefits
  • Life Insurance Policy
  • Long-Term Care Insurance
  • Reverse Mortgage

For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in New Jersey page.

Free Assisted Living Resources in Monmouth County

ResourceContact Service
Monmouth County Office on Aging(732) 431-7450Financed by state, federal and county funds, the Monmouth County Office on Aging provides a range of vital services to residents aged 60 and over. These include legal services that focus on living wills and guardianships; programs to support vulnerable seniors facing abuse and neglect; and emergency home cleaning and maintenance assistance.
Social Community Activities Network (SCAN)(732) 542-1326Aimed at adults aged 50 and over, SCAN offers a wide range of programs and activities designed to encourage fitness and education while improving social contacts between participants. It operates from three locations in Monmouth County: Eatontown, Freehold and Tom’s River. Its mission is to provide older adults with a system that supports their continued growth and improves their physical, intellectual and emotional well-being.
Legal Aid Society of Monmouth County Inc.(732) 556-8268The Legal Aid Society of Monmouth County Inc. is a charity dedicated to helping county residents who are unable to access legal services for financial reasons. To be eligible, the senior must satisfy the charity’s income guidelines and case requirements. Cases are then transferred to attorneys who volunteer their time and skills.
Howell Township Senior Center(732) 938-4500The Howell Township Senior Center provides area residents aged 60 and over and their caregivers with a place to meet and socialize. It hosts a series of events and programs designed to enhance the quality of their lives through the promotion of healthy living behaviors and shared activities.
Red Bank Senior Citizens Center(732) 747-5204This center attracts seniors aged 60 and over who are physically and mentally able to participate in its wide range of activities, programs and services. Seniors can access all of its events, which include bridge, movies, book clubs and a monthly lunch tour. The center is designed to be easily accessible to disabled seniors and those with restricted movement.
Monmouth County Transportation – SCAT(732) 431-6480SCAT is a transportation service that combines the resources of the county and private companies to offer ridesharing for seniors who need travel assistance. This free program is funded by various local government sources, including Section 5311 and county and casino revenue. Services provided are dependent on the source. For example, all eligible seniors who reside in the county can request transportation based on need, while services funded by casino revenue are available on a first-come, first-served basis.

Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Monmouth County

Monmouth County-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in New Jersey are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in New Jersey page for more information about these laws.

Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in New Jersey