Monmouth County has something for all seniors. There’s the tranquil setting of Avon-by-the-Sea with its traditional homes and golden beach and the more vibrant inland delights of Shrewsbury further to the north. The county has plenty of coastline for boat and sea lovers, while inland, there’s the beauty of Allaire State Park with its historic village and narrow-gauge railroad featuring vintage steam trains. The Monmouth County Park System is a must for golf lovers, offering six courses suitable for all skill levels, while the area’s theaters and arts centers cater to all tastes.

Monmouth County is home to many assisted living communities with 17 in the county seat of Freehold alone. According to the 2020 Genworth Cost of Care Survey, the average monthly cost of assisted living is $7,478, which is substantially higher than the national average of $4,300. This difference can be attributed in part to the county’s enduring appeal to seniors and the state’s above-average cost of living.

Directory of Assisted Living Facilities in Monmouth County, NJ

2016

Arbor Terrace Shrewsbury

864 Shrewsbury Ave., Tinton Falls, NJ, 07724

My uncle is at Arbor Terrace Shrewsbury. Between my sister, brother and me, the location was really key. We also got great recommendations from friends at work and in the healthcare area. They gave th … (read more)

2016

Atria Tinton Falls

44 Pine Street, Tinton Falls, NJ, 07753

My mother-in-law will probably be moving into Atria Tinton Falls by the end of the week. They were very accommodating. They seem to cover all of the bases, and they come to evaluate patients. My mothe … (read more)

Allegria at Ocean Grove

70 Stockton Avenue, Ocean Grove, NJ, 07756

I love the location of Allegria at Ocean Grove, it’s beautiful. It’s right near the water, so it had a lovely view and it was a nice facility. It was perhaps not as fancy as the other place we toured, … (read more)

2015, 2020

Sunrise of Wall

2600 Allaire Road, Wall, NJ, 07719

My mother moved into Sunrise of Wall. The experience has been very good. It’s very clean, updated, and the staff is fantastic. She has no complaints about the food. They take them to the boardwalk, th … (read more)

2018

Sunrise of Lincroft

734 Newman Springs Road, Lincroft, NJ, 07738

I particularly liked Sunrise of Lincroft; it was beautiful and would have been ideal for my mom. That was my favorite facility. I thought everything was very clean and airy, and nicely decorated. It h … (read more)

Brighton Gardens of Middletown

620 State Highway, 35 S, Middletown, NJ, 07748

Brighton Gardens of Middletown is 5 across the board. The woman we met with and the woman at the front desk were all wonderful, accommodating as far as answering any questions, and providing informati … (read more)

Sunrise of Marlboro

3A South Main Street, Marlboro, NJ, 07746

Sunrise of Marlboro was really beautiful, very bright, open, and very clean. It had a very nice atmosphere and sort of like a mansion style with a grand staircase. The staff was great and nice. The di … (read more)

The Villas

289 Gordons Corner Road, Manalapan, NJ, 07726

The Villas was really a beautiful place. It’s new, so it’s not dated at all. The place was spotless. Everything’s very fresh, clean, and shiny. The rooms were beautiful, and all the amenities were gor … (read more)

Sunnyside Manor’s Independence ‘Plus’ Assisted Living

413 Brooklyn Blvd, Sea Girt, NJ, 08750

My family member is on recollections. I absolutely love the coordinator. She is motivated, friendly, polite and caring. Nice staff. Clean environment

Wellington Estates at Spring Lake

2018 Highway 35, Spring Lake, NJ, 07762

I highly recommend Wellington Estates on Rt 35 in Spring Lake. They have small studios with their own handicapped bathroom & kitchenette. The whole facility got a renovation recently and it is be … (read more)

Monmouth Crossing Assisted Living

560 Iron Bridge Rd., Freehold, NJ, 07728

We liked Monmouth Crossing Assisted Living and the size of it. The woman we spoke with gave us every bit of information and was not pushy. The place was nice, clean, and smelled good. They had buses t … (read more)

Arbor Terrace Middletown

1800 Highway 35 South, Middletown, NJ, 07748

My aunt lives in Arbor Terrace Middletown and we have never been happier about her decision! During this past year, the team at Arbor Terrace have truly shown their love and compassion for both the r … (read more)

Mattison Crossing at Manalapan Avenue

93 Manalapan Avenue, Freehold, NJ, 07728

Mattison Crossing at Manalapan Avenue was spacious, airy, and clean. There’s a welcoming feel to it. We were impressed with everybody that we met. They answered our questions and were very forthcoming … (read more)

Millennium Memory Care – Holmdel

92 Stillwell Road, Holmdel, NJ, 07733

The Chelsea at Tinton Falls

One Hartford Drive, Tinton Falls, NJ, 07701

The Chelsea at Tinton Falls was nice. It’s a little older as far as decor and the facility itself, but still in very good condition. The staff member who assisted us was extremely helpful and friendly … (read more)

Spring Hills Matawan

40 Freneau Avenue, Matawan, NJ, 07747

My mother moved into the Atrium of Matawan in December, 2019 and was met with open arms by Marisa, the Community Relations Counselor and has been treated with kindness and understanding by the entire … (read more)

The Chelsea at the Solana Marlboro

52 County Road 520, Marlboro, NJ, 07751

I lived at The Chelsea at the Solana Marlboro for a month. Their facilities were very new when I was there. The place was beautiful. The bathrooms were very handicapped-friendly. It was better, and th … (read more)

The Chelsea at Manalapan

445 Route 9 South, Manalapan, NJ, 07726

My experience at The Chelsea at Manalapan was very nice. The rooms were also very nice. They seemed very upscale to me. They have short trips with the bus to take them to see different things that are … (read more)

Millennium Memory Care – Ocean

111 Bowne Road, Ocean, NJ, 07712

My sister, Liz, has dementia and bipolar disorder. She was only accepted in one place — she is not in good shape — and that is Millennium Memory Care. Sometimes, we get to the facility and the front … (read more)

Paying for Assisted Living in Monmouth County

Due to Freehold’s proximity to Trenton, the Genworth Cost of Care Survey bases assisted living prices for Monmouth County on data from the Trenton-Princeton metropolitan statistical area. This produces a figure of $7,478, which is higher than the state average of $6,650 and substantially higher than the national monthly median of $4,300. The higher costs reflect Monmouth County’s choice of rural locations, small cities and beach communities as well as its connections to major metropolitan areas of New Jersey, New York and Pennsylvania.

The Cost of Assisted Living in Nearby Cities

Monmouth County and Freehold/Trenton are the most expensive areas for assisted living within New Jersey when compared to Atlantic City at $5,790 and Vineland at $6,523. Moving beyond the state line and into Pennsylvania, assisted living is more affordable at $5,550 for Philadelphia. Rates drop substantially for Allentown at $3,550 and even further in Scranton at $2,450. However, costs rise to $4,050 for seniors in and around the Lancaster area. For families considering the New York area, which includes Newark, average costs are more affordable at $5,991 a month. Although Monmouth County is more expensive than its neighbors, it does offer a number of environmental benefits for seniors who prefer a suburban lifestyle with easy access to the attractions offered by major cities.

$7478

Scranton

$4050

Lancaster

Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Monmouth County

The Medicaid Managed Long-Term Services and Supports (MLTSS) is the state’s Medicaid waiver that offers support with assisted living costs to low-budget seniors who qualify. There are no state-funded programs that provide aid for assisted living at this time.

Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in New Jersey page.

Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in New Jersey

More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living

• Veterans Benefits
  • Life Insurance Policy
  • Long-Term Care Insurance
  • Reverse Mortgage

For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in New Jersey page.

Free Assisted Living Resources in Monmouth County

ResourceContact Service
Monmouth County Office on Aging(732) 431-7450Financed by state, federal and county funds, the Monmouth County Office on Aging provides a range of vital services to residents aged 60 and over. These include legal services that focus on living wills and guardianships; programs to support vulnerable seniors facing abuse and neglect; and emergency home cleaning and maintenance assistance.
Social Community Activities Network (SCAN)(732) 542-1326Aimed at adults aged 50 and over, SCAN offers a wide range of programs and activities designed to encourage fitness and education while improving social contacts between participants. It operates from three locations in Monmouth County: Eatontown, Freehold and Tom’s River. Its mission is to provide older adults with a system that supports their continued growth and improves their physical, intellectual and emotional well-being.
Legal Aid Society of Monmouth County Inc.(732) 556-8268The Legal Aid Society of Monmouth County Inc. is a charity dedicated to helping county residents who are unable to access legal services for financial reasons. To be eligible, the senior must satisfy the charity’s income guidelines and case requirements. Cases are then transferred to attorneys who volunteer their time and skills.
Howell Township Senior Center(732) 938-4500The Howell Township Senior Center provides area residents aged 60 and over and their caregivers with a place to meet and socialize. It hosts a series of events and programs designed to enhance the quality of their lives through the promotion of healthy living behaviors and shared activities.
Red Bank Senior Citizens Center(732) 747-5204This center attracts seniors aged 60 and over who are physically and mentally able to participate in its wide range of activities, programs and services. Seniors can access all of its events, which include bridge, movies, book clubs and a monthly lunch tour. The center is designed to be easily accessible to disabled seniors and those with restricted movement.
Monmouth County Transportation – SCAT(732) 431-6480SCAT is a transportation service that combines the resources of the county and private companies to offer ridesharing for seniors who need travel assistance. This free program is funded by various local government sources, including Section 5311 and county and casino revenue. Services provided are dependent on the source. For example, all eligible seniors who reside in the county can request transportation based on need, while services funded by casino revenue are available on a first-come, first-served basis.

Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Monmouth County

Monmouth County-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in New Jersey are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in New Jersey page for more information about these laws.

Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in New Jersey