Queens County, New York, is an ideal retirement destination for those who want to be part of a lively, bustling community close to all the amenities and excitement of downtown New York City. Residents won’t be disappointed by the area’s vigorous cultural scene; seniors can visit multiple arts centers, including the Museum of the Moving Image and MoMA PS1, and music lovers can also go to the Louis Armstrong House Museum. Additionally, residents can take a walk through the Flushing Meadows at Corona Park and the gorgeous Queens Botanical Garden or enjoy the sun at the nearby Rockaway Beach.

New York City, where Queens County is located, has approximately 23 assisted living facilities. According to Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey 2020, the average cost is $5,991 per month in the NYC metropolitan area, which is $1,191 higher than the statewide median. However, the area’s numerous recreational opportunities and top-notch quality of care make it worth considering for older adults.

Directory of Assisted Living Facilities in Queens County, NY

Castle Senior Living at Forest Hills

108-25 Horace Harding Exwy, Forest Hills, NY, 11368

We’ve just been setting in here at Castle Senior Living and Valina has been wonderful. She gone above and beyond our expectations helping us and orienting us for life at the facility. Also, our first … (read more)

2015

Atria Kew Gardens

117-01 84th Avenue, Kew Gardens, NY, 11418

Atria Kew Gardens was beautiful. When we walked in, they had a welcome sign with my friend’s name on it. Everybody said hello. It was absolutely a beautiful experience. Activities were going on all th … (read more)

2012

Atria Forest Hills

112-50 72nd Avenue, Forest Hills, NY, 11375

Looking for the right assisted living community for your loved one can surely be stressful and time consuming. So, here I am in the hopes of making this process easier for many of you. If you’re looki … (read more)

Long Island Living Center

431 Beach 20th Street, Far Rockaway, NY, 11691

Our experience with Long Island Living Center has been good. They’ve been very nice, and they’re doing a good job with my brother. They keep them busy. They treated my brother decently, and they treat … (read more)

Boulevard ALP

7161 159Th St, Flushing, NY, 11365

Boulevard ALP was very good. They had all the facilities that my sister needed and that she could use. I liked what I saw. The personnel was very nice, even the lady where you park your car, they were … (read more)

Sutton Gardens Senior Living

147-02 34th Avenue, Flushing, NY, 11354

The rooms are clean and updated. The staff is professional and courteous. The residents enjoy all the activities especially Bingo.

The New Homestead Retirement Residence

82-45 Grenfell Street, Kew Gardens, NY, 11415

The New Homestead is a very beautiful place and the rooms are beautiful. But the man there kind of lied to me, he told me they take dogs. I told him my daughter has to go to some kind of a training sc … (read more)

Queens Adult Care Center

86-02 148th street, Queens, NY, 11435

2015

Brandywine Living at The Savoy

5515 Little Neck Parkway, Little Neck, NY, 11362

Staff is great…Nora and Abby did a great job acclimating my mom. Sherry can be difficult at times but has a good heart. Wellness center keeps on top of appts. The ladies Bibi and Megan assisted me … (read more)

Queen of Peace Residence

11030 221st St, Queens Village, NY, 11429

The rooms are spacious, clean, and inviting. The Little Sisters and lay staff were most gracious in understanding the need to have my mother become a resident. Mom was very hesitant to move from h … (read more)

Central Assisted Living

1509 Central Avenue, Far Rockaway, NY, 11691

New Haven Manor is an excellent, stellar, one of a kind community of the highest caliber and quality which I could not commend, recommend, praise or esteem more highly! The director of this reside … (read more)

Sanford Manor Home Care Agency

140-40 Sanford Avenue, Flushing, NY, 11355

My brother is at Sanford Home. He has schizophrenia but we didn’t want to take his independence away and we only want to make sure that he does not forget his medicine, he has a roof over his head and … (read more)

Elm-York Home

100-30 Ditmars Boulevard, East Elmhurst, NY, 11369

My sister has been Elm York for many years. Her aides are compassionate and helpful and show real concern for the residents. The staff is professional and competent and I feel my sister is in good han … (read more)

Jamaica Hospital Nursing Home

89-40 135th Street, Jamaica, NY, 11418

Although it is located in a fairly busy area, the outside clearly states its function and is hard to miss. You cannot come here without at least seeing 4 or 5 elderly outside enjoying a little fresh a … (read more)

Madison York Assisted Living Community

6180 Woodhaven Boulevard, Rego Park, Rego Park, NY, 11374

As a seven year resident of Madison York, I can speak honestly. Firstly, the administrator is a warm, loving and very professional leader. She runs an open door policy and greets residents and visitor … (read more)

Wavecrest Home for Adults

242 Beach 20th Street, Far Rockaway, NY, 11691

Wavecrest is a wonderful place, the staff is caring and exceptional. I have a relative who lives there and he is very happy. When we visit and visit often we always find the place to be quiet and all … (read more)

Surfside Manor

9502 Rockaway Beach Boulevard, Rockaway Beach, NY, 11693

The services at Surfside Manor were excellent, but it was difficult to get there and to find parking. We didn’t like that it had a very large room when you walk in and everybody was sitting there. It … (read more)

New Haven Manor

1526 New Haven Avenue, Far Rockaway, NY, 11691

My grandmother was previously a resident at the new haven manor nursing home in far rockaway, ny. In my experience, the facility was kept fairly clean and organized. 2 patients to a room with a semi … (read more)

Seaview Manor Home For Adults

210 Beach 47th Street, Far Rockaway, NY, 11691

This place is big and located by the A-train line. Each time I visit my family member the place is filled with the stench of cigarette smoke, the hallway up stairs are filthy, cigarette butts on the … (read more)

Paying for Assisted Living in Queens County

Seniors in New York City, where Queens County is situated, pay approximately $5,991 per month for assisted living, according to Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey 2020. This amount is considerably higher than the national average of $4,300 by about $1,691. The community is also more expensive in comparison to the statewide median, which is $1,191 less than Queens County.

The Cost of Assisted Living in Nearby Cities

Although New York City is known for being expensive, its assisted living costs are not the highest in the area. Bridgeport, in the neighboring state of Connecticut, costs approximately $7,838 per month, which is $1,847 more than the estimate in Queens County. On the other hand, Buffalo and Albany are two of the most affordable cities within the state of New York, at about $1,426 and $1,191 lower than the NYC area, respectively. Toward the northwest, seniors in Rochester can expect to pay $5,180 per month, or $811 less. Prices start increasing again further north in the state; Watertown, in the north, has a cost of $6,034 per month, slightly more than Queens County by about $43. Seniors living in Elmira, toward the center, pay $367 less, but the nearby city of Ithaca is the most expensive in New York State, at approximately $7,500 more.

$5991

Bridgeport, CT

$13500

Ithaca

Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Queens County

The Assisted Living Program (ALP) provides financial assistance to a limited number of people in assisted living facilities in New York. Queens County seniors who receive Social Security benefits may also be eligible for financial help through the Optional State Supplement (OSS).

Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in New York page.

Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in New York

More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living

• Veterans Benefits
  • Life Insurance Policy
  • Long-Term Care Insurance
  • Reverse Mortgage

For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in New York page.

Free Assisted Living Resources in Queens County

ResourceContact Service
Assisted Living Program(212) 639-9675This program provides guidance to older adults in need of long-term care due to an ongoing physical or mental condition. Participants may receive help with part of their assisted living costs, including room, board, supervision and personal care. Case management and therapeutic treatments are also covered. Qualifying applicants must have Medicaid or private insurance.
New York Long-Term Care Ombudsman Program(855) 582-6769The ombudsman works on behalf of those living in residential care facilities throughout the state. The program addresses complaints by seniors and their families regarding proper transfer and discharge, abuse, violence and the rights of residents. Volunteers also provide unbiased information that may help locate a facility that caters to the needs of each senior.
NYC Department for the Aging(212) 602-4100The Department for the Aging has a variety of programs and services available to older New Yorkers. Almost 250 senior centers throughout the city are open to adults aged 60 and over, providing access to arts classes, music, yoga, workshops and group trips. Benefits screening also helps seniors to get informed about the welfare services they can claim.
New York Foundation for Senior Citizens(212) 962-7559This nonprofit organization manages several senior centers where older adults can participate in recreational activities, such as lectures, arts and crafts, bingo, painting and exercise. Free transportation is also provided through its Project CART, which seniors aged 60 and over can use for rides to medical appointments, grocery shopping and other essential trips.
Access-A-Ride Paratransit Service(877) 337-2017This service arranges affordable alternatives for those who cannot use regular transportation due a mental or physical condition. New York City’s five boroughs and nearby areas are serviced, and the program operates 365 days a year. All vehicles accommodate wheelchairs or other mobility devices, and to be eligible, applicants must be covered under the ADA.
Health Insurance Assistance Program(888) 692-6116The Health Insurance Assistance Program provides personalized counseling to help participants enroll in a health insurance plan. All New York residents are eligible to apply, but seniors aged 65 and over may also qualify for a public health program, such as Medicaid, which could partially cover the cost of care at assisted living facilities.
NYC Department of Veterans’ Services(212) 416-5250New York City’s Department of Veterans’ Services has multiple services for those who served in the military. Volunteers help veterans and their families apply for benefits that may help them afford an assisted living facility, including disability compensation and monthly pensions for those with low income. Free financial counseling is also offered.

Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Queens County

Queens County-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in New York are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in New York page for more information about these laws.

Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in New York