Located on the Jersey Shore between beaches and forests, Ocean County is part of the New York metropolitan area. It has a population of just over 600,000 people, of whom a high percentage are seniors, at 22.8%. The nearby Atlantic Ocean tempers Ocean County’s climate, resulting in rainy, warm summers and milder winters than many northern regions. Residents can visit an array of lively beaches and boardwalks which are ideal for swimming, fishing and diving. Considered the gateway to New Jersey’s Pine Barrens, Ocean County also has several natural attractions, including Cattus Island County Park, which features a wheelchair-accessible boardwalk and butterfly garden.

There are dozens of assisted living communities in Ocean County. They share an average cost of $7,478 per month, although actual costs differ by location. Although this price is higher than state and national averages, New Jersey has low taxes on most types of retirement income.

Directory of Assisted Living Facilities in Ocean County, NJ

Sunrise of Jackson

390 North County Line Road, Jackson, NJ, 08527

Sunrise of Jackson was a very home-like place. It’s only one level and has sort of a rustic or ranch style. They had home baked goods, and they were very friendly people. The guy who took me on the … (read more)

The Residence at Stafford

1275 Route 72 West, Manahawkin, NJ, 08050

We moved my dad in August after my Mom passed away suddenly. I can’t say enough good things. The staff is wonderful, The food is wonderful and the Residence is beautiful. It’s like southern charm livi … (read more)

The Chelsea at Brick

458 Jack Martin Blvd, Brick, NJ, 08724

The Chelsea at Brick is fantastic. My mom lives there and we can schedule visits two times a week to see her. It’s a really nice cozy place. It is also clean, pleasant, and decorated nicely. The food … (read more)

2016

The Terraces at Seacrest Village

281 Mathistown Rd, Tuckerton, NJ, 08087

I went to see The Terraces at Seacrest Village and tour the assisted living. It was very nice, very clean, and had a family feel to it. The staff was very friendly, nice, and polite. They have a bunch … (read more)

2013

Spring Oak Assisted Living of Forked River

601 N. Main St., Lanoka Harbor, NJ, 08734

This building needs to be upgraded. They have the memory care unit on the 3 floor If there was ever a fire half of the residents can get get out. The memory care floor has filthy dirty floors includi … (read more)

The Chelsea At Toms River

1657 Silverton Rd, Toms River, NJ, 08753

The Chelsea at Toms River looked very nice. It seemed like they had a lot of activities. The staff was very nice, helpful, and informative. We saw a room there, but not in the memory care unit. They w … (read more)

Leisure Park

1400 Route 70, Lakewood, NJ, 08701

My father was at Leisure Park. Everything was excellent. There were no complaints. He was very sick and he didn’t last long, but they took very good care of him while he was there. The place was very … (read more)

Bella Terra

Two Kathleen Drive, Jackson, NJ, 08527

The people at Bella Terra were very nice and gave me a lovely tour, but it wasn’t what I wanted. I didn’t see a lot of activities going on. It’s an older facility, and it’s a little less clean looking … (read more)

2015, 2018

Brandywine Living at The Gables

515 Jack Martin Blvd, Brick, NJ, 08723

I just had to write to say thank you and “god bless” to Brandywine Living at the Gables! My mother is now a lucky resident at Brandywine Senior Living at the Gables. The facility – main areas, o … (read more)

Brandywine Living at Toms River

1587 Old Freehold Rd, Toms River, NJ, 08755

Where do I start with Brandywine at Toms River? I have to start with that this place makes you feel like a part of the family! The staff know my name and who I am here to see as soon as I walk in the … (read more)

The Pines at Whiting

509 Route 530, Whiting, NJ, 08759

The Pines at Whiting has very good grounds outside. A lot of pine trees are around. There are trails that residents can walk through the woods and not just around the buildings themselves. The staff i … (read more)

Southern Ocean Center

1361 Rte 72 W, Manahawkin, NJ, 08050

Bayville Manor Senior Care Residence

6 Allard Road, Bayville, NJ, 08721

Bayville Manor Senior Care Residence is a very nice place. It’s small, very intimate, very clean, and very caring. We love it so much. The only problem with rating a facility right now when we have CO … (read more)

The Lakewood Courtyard

52 Madison Avenue, Lakewood, NJ, 08701

My father is in The Lakewood Courtyard. Everything there is fine, and everybody is friendly. It is affordable, and it is the right place for his needs. The rooms are fine and spacious. They have a lot … (read more)

2016

The Haven at Siverwoods

1700 Route 37 West, Toms River, NJ, 08757

My dad has moved into The Haven at Siverwoods. It’s clean and the staff is very receptive and attentive. The food is not fancy or gourmet, but it’s wholesome. They have movies, arts and crafts, bingo, … (read more)

Magnolia Gardens

1935 Lakewood Road, Toms River, NJ, 08755

My mother lived there four years as both private pay and medicaid resident. She loved the staff, they were very attentive and had many recreational activities. She was very happy there and any questio … (read more)

Shorrock Gardens Care Center

75 Old Toms River Road , Brick, NJ, 08723

I have experience with Shorrock Gardens with two family members. The facility was decent enough to trust with a second relative’s care after the first family member lived there for three years until h … (read more)

Spring Oak At Tom River

2145 Whitesville Rd., Toms River, NJ, 08755

Spring Oak At Tom River was a pretty nice facility. Angela, the person who toured me around, was nice and good. The food looked good and the dining area was nice. They have things for the veterans to … (read more)

FountainView Care Center

527 River Avenue, Lakewood, NJ, 08701

The chef/cooks/workers were amazing. However, my sister died in their care. During Covid, my sister got it and they did not call a parent for 3 days after my sister got it. I had to beg the front d … (read more)

Paying for Assisted Living in Ocean County

Assisted living in Trenton, the closest city to Ocean County seat Toms River, costs $7,478 per month. According to Genworth’s 2020 Cost of Care Survey, this price is higher than the state average of $6,650. Assisted living in Ocean County is significantly more expensive than the national median price of $4,300 per month.

The Cost of Assisted Living in Nearby Cities

Within New Jersey, the Ocean County area has the highest assisted living prices. The lowest assisted living prices in the state can be found in Ocean City, which averages $4,945. This is a full $2,493 per month more expensive than assisted living in Ocean County. On the coast, Atlantic City has an average monthly cost of $5,790. Assisted living prices in Vineland fall closer to the state average, at $6,523. Across the Delaware Bay, assisted living in Dover, Delaware costs an average of $4,920. More affordable assisted living prices may be available in neighboring New York, where capital Albany averages $4,800. Major metropolis New York City is more expensive, with an average assisted living price of $5,991 per month.

$7478

New York City, NY

$6523

Vineland

Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Ocean County

Eligible seniors in New Jersey may apply for financial assistance for assisted living via New Jersey Medicaid Managed Long-Term Services and Supports (MLTSS) waiver. New Jersey also offers a supplemental SSI payment to help cover assisted living costs.

Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in New Jersey page.

More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living

• Veterans Benefits
  • Life Insurance Policy
  • Long-Term Care Insurance
  • Reverse Mortgage

For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in New Jersey page.

Free Assisted Living Resources in Ocean County

ResourceContact Service
Ocean County Office for Senior Services(732) 929-2091Located in Ocean County’s One-Stop Center for senior services, this Area Agency on Aging protects and supports aging adults with a range of policies and projects. This organization connects seniors with financial assistance for housing, health care, prescriptions and medical equipment such as hearing aids. Elders can also access a resource center with trusted social services, and the county’s Ocean Ride program helps seniors get to medical appointments.
Toms River Senior Services(732) 341-1000The township of Toms River operates a Senior Outreach Center open to adults throughout the area. Here, seniors 60 and up can participate in exercise classes, games and hobby clubs. This senior center also offers social activities such as holiday celebrations, luncheons and movie nights. An outreach program helps elders find and apply for financial assistance programs.
Ocean County Veterans Service Bureau(732) 929-2096Ocean County veterans can get help determining their eligibility for a variety of financial aid programs. Service officers can also help veterans submit and track claims and appeals. This organization also offers outreach services like holiday gift and food giveaways for veterans and their families. Service members can get connected to mental health and medical services through the federal VA health care system.
Ocean County Connection(732) 288-7777At the County Connection office, seniors and veterans can access health screenings, employment placement and notary services. This organization also provides information and assistance on consumer issues, senior safety and Social Security access. Transportation can be arranged to and from the center, and the Mobile Connection travels to provide services to seniors across the county.
Legal Services of New Jersey(732) 608-7794Seniors and veterans can get pro-bono legal assistance with cases related to health care and insurance access, consumer protection and abuse prevention. Elders can also get help settling tax and medical bill disputes. This organization also has a free self-help resource and information center.

Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Ocean County

Ocean County-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in New Jersey are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in New Jersey page for more information about these laws.