15 Assisted Living Facilities near Matawan, NJ
Also serving communities of Old Bridge.
There are 15 Assisted Living Facilities in the Matawan area, with 3 in Matawan and 12 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Matawan is $5,840 per month. This is higher than the national median of $3,420. Cheaper nearby regions include Marlboro with an average starting cost of $4,965.
To help you with your search, browse the 81 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Matawan. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Matawan 4.3 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Marlboro with an average rating of 4.3 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Matawan, call (855) 863-8283.
3 Assisted Living Facilities in Matawan, NJ
12 Assisted Living Facilities near Matawan, NJ
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Matawan
Matawan is a Monmouth County borough that appeals to nature-loving seniors due to its two lakes and the Matawan Creek. The borough is a cozy 2.4 square miles in size, but the Matawan-Aberdeen train station gives seniors a direct line to New York City with a 70-minute ride.
Residents aged 65 and older make up about 14% of Matawan’s estimated population of 8,736. To serve those who need help with the activities of daily living, Matawan offers three assisted living residences (ALRs) with another 11 nearby. The New Jersey Department of Health licenses and regulates ALRs in the state.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Matawan
- The American Lung Association gives Matawan’s location in Monmouth County an air quality grade of “F” for ozone pollution. This could pose a health threat to seniors with heart or lung conditions.
- The Matawan area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Bay Shore Medical Center, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- A low Sperling’s Comfort Index Score of 50 out of 100 might indicate Matawan is too hot and humid in the summer months for active seniors. The city’s average annual rainfall of 48 inches and 25 inches of snow could keep seniors inside during winter months more than they’d like.
- Matawan seniors aged 60 and over enjoy public and specialized transportation services through the Monmouth County Division of Transportation’s (MCDOT) S.C.A.T. program. Transportation is provided for medical appointments, food shopping and a variety of other essential trips.
- Matawan’s overall cost of living is 36% higher than the U.S. average, which could pose a challenge to seniors on limited incomes. Although the high cost of housing accounts for most of this, seniors pay more than the national average for groceries, transportation and utilities in Matawan.
- With violent and property crime rates in Matawan that are about one-third of the national average, seniors and their loved ones may rest easier. On a scale from one to 100 with 100 being high crime, Matawan’s scores of 6.7 for violent crime and 13 for property crime are significantly lower than the U.S. averages of 22.7 and 35.4.
Note: Data reported on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Matawan
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in New Jersey
Assisted Living costs in Matawan start around $5,840 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Matawan and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Matawan
Matawan seniors may be eligible for government assistance in funding assisted living expenses through New Jersey’s Managed Long Term Services and Supports (MLTSS) program. This managed care system under the Comprehensive Medicaid Waiver helps seniors cover the costs of assisted living in participating facilities that accept payments.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in New Jersey page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in New Jersey page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Matawan
Matawan and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Matawan, please visit our Assisted Living in New Jersey page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Matawan
Matawan-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in New Jersey are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in New Jersey page for more information about these laws.
Other Options in Matawan, NJ
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Matawan
Review of Atrium of Matawan
I visited Atrium Senior Living of Matawan. It was very nice, the people were very nice there, and they have a very nice facility, but it was too expensive. It would be a very nice place to live. Th... Read more
Review of Atrium of Matawan
I like the personnel at Atrium Senior Living of Matawan and the way they treated my mother especially. They treated my mother wonderful. She's only been there for six weeks, but she's gotten very g... Read more
Review of Atrium of Matawan
My mother in law is a resident here and recently had an episode where she was very confused and disorientated. While they were waiting for the ambulance to take her to the hospital, the aides took ... Read more