Located in central New Jersey, Marlboro Township in Monmouth County has a population of around 41,500 residents, including about 5,700 seniors aged 65 and older. Marlboro offers varied outdoor recreation for active seniors. Golf enthusiasts have access to a well-maintained, local regulation golf course and several others throughout Monmouth County. The 115-acre Wickatunk Recreation Area offers beautiful fields, forests and protected habitats for woodland creatures and birds, making it ideal for seniors who like taking nature walks. Marlboro also offers a range of local shopping and dining venues, and its proximity to larger cities ensures seniors will find even more amenities right down the road.

Assisted living facilities offer a safe, homelike environment that provides seniors with some personalized assistance while allowing them to retain their independence and socialize with their peers. The average cost of assisted living in Marlboro is $7,478, which is higher than the state average and substantially higher than the national median.

This guide provides cost comparisons for assisted living in other New Jersey cities and with other types of senior care in Marlboro. It also offers a breakdown of various benefits and drawbacks of retiring in the township and a list of free resources available to Marlboro seniors.

Directory of Assisted Living Facilities in Marlboro, NJ

Sunrise of Marlboro

3A South Main Street, Marlboro, NJ, 07746

Sunrise of Marlboro was a wonderful place for our mother. Sunrise helped us with every aspect and stage of our mother’s care. What first appealed to us on our initial visit was the quality of the … (read more)

The Chelsea at the Solana Marlboro

52 County Road 520, Marlboro, NJ, 07751

I lived at The Chelsea at the Solana Marlboro for a month. Their facilities were very new when I was there. The place was beautiful. The bathrooms were very handicapped-friendly. It was better, and th … (read more)

2018

Sunrise of Lincroft

734 Newman Springs Road, Lincroft, NJ, 07738

I liked Sunrise of Lincroft, I liked the setting. The grounds were lovely, very, very pretty. Lincroft is a little bit more laid back, a very nice campus. It’s around 20 years old. The square footage … (read more)

Arbor Terrace Middletown

1800 Highway 35 South, Middletown, NJ, 07748

My friend just moved to Arbor Terrace about two months ago. I just went to visit him, and I couldn’t get over how nice everyone is! The community is beautiful. The residents were doing Zumba when I wa … (read more)

Mattison Crossing at Manalapan Avenue

93 Manalapan Avenue, Freehold, NJ, 07728

This is a good place for dad. They are very helpful and provide good communication to all the children. After one year dad is quite happy here and I appreciate the level of care as I live out of … (read more)

2014

Sunrise of East Brunswick

190 Summerhill Road, East Brunswick, NJ, 08816

My tour experience at Sunrise of East Brunswick was very good. It’s very homey, and it makes you feel like you’re on a cruise ship. The area where they eat is set up like a restaurant. The staff inter … (read more)

The Villas

289 Gordons Corner Road, Manalapan, NJ, 07726

We toured The Villas and the place was gorgeous, it’s beautiful. They only had one available apartment and it was very tiny, that’s the reason we didn’t go with them. The staff who gave the tour was w … (read more)

Millennium Memory Care – Holmdel

92 Stillwell Road, Holmdel, NJ, 07733

Millennium Memory Care – Monroe

310 Buckelew Avenue, Monroe, NJ, 08831

My relative just moved in recently and I must say we are happy thus far… The place is immaculate. the community is very clean and the staff is on top of things. Every resident has their own rooms wh … (read more)

2015

Brandywine Living at Governor’s Crossing

49 Lasatta Avenue, Englishtown, NJ, 07726

Facility is Clean! Food is ok Activities on point family visits mean a lot Staff always keeps us updated ! Some staff go above and beyond like Kyra , Carol , Jean, Brittany , Melissa and Amy Tha … (read more)

Reformed Church Home

1990 Route 18 North, Old Bridge, NJ, 08857

Reformed Church Home is all good. My first impression when I visited was that it’s a bright, clean, and welcoming place. The staff member who accommodated me was friendly and informative. I saw their … (read more)

Monmouth Crossing Assisted Living

560 Iron Bridge Rd., Freehold, NJ, 07728

We liked Monmouth Crossing Assisted Living and the size of it. The woman we spoke with gave us every bit of information and was not pushy. The place was nice, clean, and smelled good. They had buses t … (read more)

Spring Hills Matawan

40 Freneau Avenue, Matawan, NJ, 07747

I visited here. It was very nice, the people were very nice there, and they have a very nice facility, but it was too expensive. It would be a very nice place to live. They have bingo, trips to restau … (read more)

Complete Care at Madison

625 State Route 34, Matawan, NJ, 07747

I will give Madison Center a 5 star. It was friendlier, more activities, and more stuff to do. The rooms were good and spacious. What really stood out there was that the nurses were friendly.

The Chelsea at Manalapan

445 Route 9 South, Manalapan, NJ, 07726

My experience at The Chelsea at Manalapan was very nice. The rooms were also very nice. They seemed very upscale to me. They have short trips with the bus to take them to see different things that are … (read more)

MERIDIAN WILLOWS ASSISTED LIVING COMMUNITY

713 N Beers Street, Holmdel, NJ, 07733

The Willows was very nice. I liked it, and my mother liked it. It had a lot of positives. It was sort of a Victorian home setup, architecturally, where you walk in, and it had a big covered porch. The … (read more)

What to Consider About Assisted Living in Marlboro

New Jersey’s Department of Health regulates a range of health care settings, including assisted living facilities. It surveys facilities, investigates complaints and ensures noncompliance with state regulations. Its Division of Health Facilities Evaluation and Licensing is responsible for licensing assisted living residences and assisted living programs throughout the state, including those in Marlboro.

Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Marlboro

• Marlboro was named the safest small town in New Jersey in 2021 and the sixth safest small town nationwide. On a scale of one to 100, with one being the best, Marlboro rated a 7.6 for violent crime, which is much lower than the national average of 22.7. It also rated a 13.4 for property crime, such as auto theft, burglary and larceny, compared to the national average of 35.4.
  • Although Marlboro doesn’t have a local hospital, there are at least seven hospitals within 15 miles of the township. The nearest hospital is CentraState Medical Center, located about six miles away in Freehold. This general medical and surgical facility has an on-site emergency department and was rated as high-performing in four adult procedures and conditions, including the treatment of heart failure, stroke, kidney failure and COPD.
  • New Jersey is consistently ranked as one of the least tax-friendly states for retirees, which is bad news for seniors in Marlboro. However, it has attempted to reduce retirees’ tax burden by completely exempting Social Security benefits, military pensions and Railroad Retirement benefits. The state also has implemented some generous retirement income exemptions. Seniors aged 62 or older with incomes of $150,000 or less can exclude between 12.5% and 100% of their income from pension, IRAs, annuities and other retirement plans based on their income level and tax filing status.
  • The state sales tax rate in New Jersey is 6.625%, which hasn’t changed since 1966. Monmouth County has no county-level sales tax, and no cities or local governments within the county collect local sales taxes. Monmouth County has lower sales taxes than 69% of all other counties nationwide.
  • Overall, Marlboro’s cost of living is 47% higher than the national average. However, health care costs, which can be a major expense for aging adults, are lower than the national median by more than 10%.

Paying for Assisted Living in Marlboro

The average monthly cost of assisted living in Marlboro is $7,478, according to Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey. This is $828 higher than the New Jersey average, and $3,178 above the U.S. average.

The Cost of Assisted Living in Nearby Cities

Data on the average costs of assisted living in other New Jersey cities is limited. Of those available, Marlboro is higher than all of them. The cost here is higher than the $6,523 average in Vineland by $955, $1,688 more than Atlantic City’s $5,790 average and higher than the $4,945 median in Ocean City by $2,533.

$7478

Atlantic City

$6523

Vineland

The Cost of Other Types of Senior Care

Besides assisted living, there are other types of senior care offered in Marlboro. Adult day health care is substantially cheaper at $1,788 per month, but it provides limited services. Seniors looking to remain in their homes can get homemaker services for $4,910 per month on average or home health aides for about $4,957. The costliest option is nursing home facilities, which provide the most extensive care. Semi-private rooms in Marlboro run about $10,783 per month while private rooms cost about $11,999.

$4910

Adult Day Health Care

$7478

Assisted Living Facilities

$10783

Nursing Home (semiprivate room)

$11999

Nursing Home (private room)

Note: Data for Marlboro was unavailable, so data for the nearest city, Trenton, was used instead.

Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Marlboro

Assisted living services in Marlboro may be covered under the state’s Medicaid Managed Long-Term Services and Supports waiver.

Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in New Jersey page.

Paying for Assisted Living Facilities in New Jersey

More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living

• Veterans Benefits
  • Life Insurance Policy
  • Long-Term Care Insurance
  • Reverse Mortgage

For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Pennsylvania page.

Free Assisted Living Resources in Marlboro

Seniors in Marlboro looking for aging-related assistance and services will find several local, countywide and statewide resources available. These resources work to keep seniors active and help them retain their independence through various measures.

Resource

Contact

Services

The Office on Aging provides information on resources, programs and services available to residents aged 60 and older countywide. Its primary goal is ensuring older adults receive the services that help them maintain their dignity, quality of life and independence. It uses funding to develop programs and establish partnerships to deliver an array of services, such as legal assistance, nutrition programs, transportation and help accessing long-term care.

The Veterans Services Office serves veterans and their families countywide by helping them access the benefits they’re entitled to. It offers assistance and referral services for compensation and pension claims, requests for military records, health care, long-term care, employment counseling, vocational rehabilitation and interment services.

The Marlboro Township Senior Center offers an extensive array of activities, trips and classes for adults aged 60 and older. The Center helps seniors stay active and remain independent while gathering with their peers to socialize and have fun. It promotes overall wellness and encourages good physical and mental health. Besides regularly scheduled classes and physical and intellectual activities, the Senior Center also holds monthly social events. Registration is required to participate in all programs.

The NJLTCO advocates for residents of long-term care facilities, including assisted living communities. Staff investigate complaints made by or on behalf of these residents. The ombudsman either resolves the issue or refers the problem to the appropriate regulatory or law enforcement entity to follow up. The NJLTCO also empowers LTC residents to advocate for themselves by informing them of their rights and working with resident councils.

Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Marlboro

Marlboro-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Pennsylvania are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Pennsylvania page for more information about these laws.

Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in New Jersey