East Brunswick in Middlesex County is home to over 49,700 residents, including 8,700 seniors aged 65 or older. Considered a township and part of the New York City metro area, East Brunswick offers a variety of amenities, including 14 public parks on 600 acres for outdoorsy seniors and two 18-hole courses for golf enthusiasts. East Brunswick recognizes the needs of seniors in the community, which is why it provides a wide range of programs in its Senior Center and transportation for older adults without the means of getting around.

Seniors looking for a safe, homelike environment that offers personalized supportive care and assistance while allowing them to retain their independence may enjoy an assisted living community. The average monthly cost of assisted living in East Brunswick is $7,478, which is significantly higher than the national average but higher than the state average by a lesser degree.

This guide provides information about assisted living in East Brunswick, including costs of other senior care options and comparisons of assisted living costs with other cities in New Jersey. It also provides some important benefits and drawbacks of retiring in East Brunswick and includes a list of free resources for seniors.

Directory of Assisted Living Facilities in East Brunswick, NJ

2014

Sunrise of East Brunswick

190 Summerhill Road, East Brunswick, NJ, 08816

My tour experience at Sunrise of East Brunswick was very good. It’s very homey, and it makes you feel like you’re on a cruise ship. The area where they eat is set up like a restaurant. The staff inter … (read more)

2013

The Chelsea at East Brunswick

606 Cranbury Road, East Brunswick, NJ, 08816

My parents stayed at The Chelsea at East Brunswick for about three years. It was generally a good experience. We had a few problems along the way that I had to complain about as far as the housekeepin … (read more)

CareOne at East Brunswick

664 Cranbury Road, East Brunswick, NJ, 08816

My aunt was at CareOne at East Brunswick. They were good, and she was very happy there. It was limited on our end because we weren’t allowed to go in. We’re only allowed to go in a couple of times in … (read more)

2013, 2015, 2016

Brookdale Monroe

380 Forsgate Drive, Monroe Township, NJ, 08831

I went to look at Brookdale Monroe. The sales manager seemed more sensitive to my aunt’s needs. I saw a studio, but I was not able to see the two-bedroom. The studio was clean, but it was a little sma … (read more)

Heritage of Clara Barton

1015 Amboy Ave., Edison, NJ, 08837

Heritage of Clara Barton was a nice assisted living facility. I went up there with my friend who had worked in assisted living in Brick. She dealt with memory care individuals. We went through the fac … (read more)

Spring Hills Somerset

473 DeMott Lane, Somerset, NJ, 08873

We just moved my parents up at Spring Hills Somerset assisted living. My siblings, there are 6 of us and 3 of them have gotten together and viewed this place. My job was just to take them there to sho … (read more)

Millennium Memory Care – Monroe

310 Buckelew Avenue, Monroe, NJ, 08831

My relative just moved in recently and I must say we are happy thus far… The place is immaculate. the community is very clean and the staff is on top of things. Every resident has their own rooms wh … (read more)

Reformed Church Home

1990 Route 18 North, Old Bridge, NJ, 08857

Reformed Church Home is all good. My first impression when I visited was that it’s a bright, clean, and welcoming place. The staff member who accommodated me was friendly and informative. I saw their … (read more)

The Chelsea at Forsgate

319 Forsgate Dr, Monroe Township, NJ, 08831

The Chelsea at Forsgate has good nursing services. They have quite a few nurses on staff, and we liked their friendliness, cleanliness, and pricing. One of the most important reasons why we’re choosin … (read more)

PARKER AT STONEGATE

443 RIVER ROAD, Highland Park, NJ, 08904

I went to Parker At Stonegate, and that was lovely. I thought Deborah was very knowledgeable, very warm, and runs a good program. The place was very attractive looking. I saw a unit, and it looked nic … (read more)

The Oscar & Ella Wilf Campus For Senior Living

350 Demott Lane, Somerset, NJ, 08873

The Martin and Edith Stein Residence was also very nice, but there was a waiting list. It was clean, the people were very nice, and I have nothing negative about it, but I didn’t really dig into it be … (read more)

The Chelsea at the Solana Marlboro

52 County Road 520, Marlboro, NJ, 07751

I lived at The Chelsea at the Solana Marlboro for a month. Their facilities were very new when I was there. The place was beautiful. The bathrooms were very handicapped-friendly. It was better, and th … (read more)

What to Consider About Assisted Living in East Brunswick

The New Jersey Department of Health regulates various health care settings, including assisted living facilities. Its Division of Health Facilities Evaluation and Licensing licenses assisted living residences and assisted living programs in East Brunswick and throughout the state. The DOH ensures compliance of regulations by surveying assisted living facilities, investigating complaints and administering penalties for non-compliance.

Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in East Brunswick

• New Jersey counties and cities aren’t allowed to collect sales tax, so seniors in East Brunswick only pay state sales taxes. As of 2021, the state rate is 7%, which is lower than 55.8% of other states. Plus, groceries, prescription drugs, clothing and household paper products are tax-exempt.
  • East Brunswick doesn’t have a local hospital, but 279 doctors representing every specialty have offices inside the Township. Seniors won’t have far to travel should they require emergency care because two high-performing hospitals are less than six miles away in New Brunswick. Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital is regionally ranked and rated high-performing for eight adult procedures/conditions and St. Peter’s University Hospital is rated high-performing for four. Both have on-site emergency departments and medical-surgical ICUs.
  • New Jersey is often listed as one of the least tax-friendly states for retirees. However, seniors in East Brunswick enjoy income tax exemptions on Social Security benefits, military pensions and Railroad Retirement benefits. They may also receive generous income tax exemptions on other forms of retirement benefits based on their income.
  • East Brunswick’s Department of Aging provides curb-to-curb transportation services to and from the senior center on Mondays through Fridays. It also provides transportation to seniors from the senior center to grocery stores on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Limited non-emergency transportation to medical appointments also may be available.
  • The overall cost of living in East Brunswick is nearly 31% higher than the national average. However, health care costs are 9.5% lower than the national average, which is beneficial to seniors who often require more medical care as they age.
  • Crime rates in New Jersey are much lower than the national average, but they’re even more so in East Brunswick. Violent crime in East Brunswick is rated a 9.4 while the state average is 15.3 and the national average is 22.7. East Brunswick’s property crime rate is 23.8 compared to the statewide average of 25 and the national average of 35.4.

Paying for Assisted Living in East Brunswick

According to Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey, the average cost of assisted living in East Brunswick is $7,478, which is substantially higher than the national average of $4,300. It’s also more than $800 higher per month than the state average.

The Cost of Assisted Living in Nearby Cities

East Brunswick’s elevated cost of assisted living also makes it higher than other cities in the state, sometimes significantly higher. Its monthly cost is higher than Ocean City’s by $2,533, more than Atlantic City’s by $1,688 and higher than Vineland’s by $955. Due to its proximity to the Big Apple, it’s also noteworthy that the average cost in NYC is also lower than East Brunswick’s by nearly $1,500 per month.

$7478

Vineland

$5991

New York, NY

The Cost of Other Types of Senior Care

It can also be beneficial to compare the costs of other types of senior care. Adult day health care is substantially lower at only $1,788 per month but the level of care is limited. Receiving care at home in East Brunswick is less than assisted living with homemaker services costing about $4,910 per month and home health aides costing $4,957. Nursing home facilities offer the highest level of care at the highest price. Semi-private rooms cost $10,783 and private rooms cost $11,999.

$4910

Adult Day Health Care

$7478

Assisted Living Facilities

$10783

Nursing Home (semiprivate room)

$11999

Nursing Home (private room)

Note: Data for East Brunswick was unavailable, so data for the nearest city, Trenton, was used instead.

Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in East Brunswick

Assisted living services in East Brunswick may be covered under the state’s Medicaid Managed Long-Term Services and Supports waiver.

Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in New Jersey page.

Paying for Assisted Living Facilities in New Jersey

More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living

• Veterans Benefits
  • Life Insurance Policy
  • Long-Term Care Insurance
  • Reverse Mortgage

For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Pennsylvania page.

Free Assisted Living Resources in East Brunswick

Seniors in East Brunswick will find several free resources offering aging-related programs and services. These resources may be available on a local, countywide or statewide basis but all help seniors remain safe, active and engaged in their community.

Resource

Contact

Services

The East Brunswick Office on Aging operates the local Senior Center, which offers comfortable areas for socializing and an array of activities. It provides public benefits counseling, support groups, health and wellness programs, information and assistance, and social and recreational activities. The Center also has an art room for arts programs, a computer room for education programs and lifelong learning, a game room and a large multipurpose room. It provides intergenerational programs, transportation services, volunteer opportunities and numerous opportunities to meet new friends. Membership is free and open to seniors aged 60 or older who are residents of East Brunswick.

Middlesex County ADRC is part of the county’s Office of Aging & Disabled Services and coordinates and provides areawide services and programs for seniors. It provides the Aging & Disabled Resource Director, which contains lists of agencies and services for seniors aged 60 or older. Other services provided include nutrition services, personal assistance services, prescription assistance, grant opportunities and information and assistance.

Middlesex County’s Veterans Services Program works with federal, state, local and non-profit groups to provide different forms of aid to local veterans. The program’s coordinator provides information, assistance and referrals regarding eligibility for services and service-related benefits.

The NJLTCO is a statewide program for seniors in long-term care facilities, including assisted living. It advocates for residents of these facilities and investigates and resolves complaints made by or on behalf of residents. Field investigators handle complaints reviewed by the Ombudsman Office. The investigator will either resolve the complaint or refer it to the appropriate law enforcement or regulatory entity for follow-up.

Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in East Brunswick

East Brunswick-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Pennsylvania are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Pennsylvania page for more information about these laws.

Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in New Jersey