31 Assisted Living Facilities near Somerset, NJ
Also serving communities of North Brunswick.
There are 31 Assisted Living Facilities in the Somerset area, with 2 in Somerset and 29 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Somerset is $5,300 per month. This is higher than the national median of $3,425. Cheaper nearby regions include Edison with an average starting cost of $4,357.
To help you with your search, browse the 271 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Somerset. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Somerset 4.2 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Hillsborough with an average rating of 4.3 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Somerset, call (855) 863-8283.
2 Assisted Living Facilities in Somerset, NJ
29 Assisted Living Facilities near Somerset, NJ
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Somerset
Somerset is located within Franklin Township in central New Jersey. This small, affluent community is consistently ranked as a "best place" to live. Seniors will enjoy the small-town feel of Somerset. The surrounding area is picturesque, with lakes, parks and plenty of outdoor recreation opportunities. A little over 18 percent of the population of 24,000 are seniors 65 and over. To care for this community, Somerset is home to nine assisted living facilities. The New Jersey Department of Health regulates and licenses assisted living facilities. These regulations stipulate that staff be on hand 24 hours a day and the facility be designed to allow aging in place.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Somerset
- Somerset residents enjoy all four seasons, with warm, humid summers and winters with snow and ice. Average high temperatures in July are 86 degrees, and January lows average around 22. Seniors who are sensitive to cold weather or have mobility limitations on ice may be uncomfortable here.
- The cost of living in Somerset is 135.2 as compared to the U.S. average of 100. Housing costs increase this average, coming in at 154 compared to the national base of 100. This may increase fees associated with assisted living. Health care and grocery costs, however, are more in line with the rest of the nation, at 96 and 104.4, respectively.
- Crime rates in the United States are rated on a scale of 1 to 100, with 1 being the safest. Violent crimes in Somerset rate 29.5 compared to the national average of 31.1. Property crimes are 27.7 versus the U.S. average of 38.1. Seniors may enjoy a safer community but are still encouraged to use common sense and caution, especially when traveling to larger cities nearby.
- Seniors in New Jersey may be eligible for a property tax freeze. As they transition into assisted living, this may help secure more money to pay for assisted living fees.
- Somerset residents have access to the New Jersey Transit Authority which provides both rail lines and buses. Those 62 and older, or with a qualifying disability, are eligible for reduced fares. Paratransit services are available for those who qualify. In addition, Somerset County offers shuttle services around the community for all members of the general public.
- The Holmdel area is home to world-class medical facilities, including RJW University Hospital - Somerset, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
Paying for Assisted Living in Somerset
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in New Jersey
Assisted Living costs in Somerset start around $5,300 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Somerset and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Somerset
Somerset seniors, as in all of New Jersey, are eligible for Medicaid waivers that may help those who qualify offset the costs of an assisted living facility. Regulations are determined by the state's Department of Human Services. This program was created in 2017 and is titled Medicaid Managed Long-Term Services and Supports (MLTSS). This falls under the federal government's Comprehensive Medicaid Waiver. New Jersey's system has no enrollment caps, meaning that all those who are eligible to receive services will receive them.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in New Jersey page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in New Jersey page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Somerset
Somerset and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Somerset, please visit our Assisted Living in New Jersey page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Somerset
Somerset-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in New Jersey are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in New Jersey page for more information about these laws.
Assisted Living near Somerset, NJ
Other Options in Somerset, NJ
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Somerset
Review of Spring Hills Somerset
The guy I met at Spring Hills Somerset was wonderful. He's the director of admittance. I'm one step from possibly moving my mom over to this community. It's a very nice place, nice entranceway, big... Read more
Review of Spring Hills Somerset
Spring Hills Somerset claimed they couldn't take my mom because she requires a two person assist to go to the bathroom and to help her get out of her chair. It wasn't bad though. The place itself d... Read more
Review of Spring Hills Somerset
Spring Hills Somerset seems to be a superior operation. The place is extraordinarily well taken care of and well decorated much more like a personal residence. Their food is extraordinary, too. Th... Read more