Monroe Township is located in southern Middlesex County, New Jersey, and is home to 45,000 residents, 38% of which are aged 65 and over. New Jersey is an attractive destination for retirees due to its lack of Social Security taxes and state tax exemption for retirement income below $75,000. Summers are mild, with cool winters that often see snow on the ground by Christmas. Monroe Township’s proximity to New York City opens up a world of nightlife and recreational opportunities for active seniors in the area.

The area in and around Monroe Township is home to several assisted living facilities. These communities support seniors by providing aid with activities of daily living, such as personal care, household chores and transportation. This can be a great choice for living arrangements among seniors who need some help but don’t need continuing care in a residential facility. Monroe Township’s assisted living communities cost an average of $7,478 a month, about $828 more than the state average and $3,178 more than the nationwide average of $4,300.

This guide goes over the average cost of assisted living in nearby cities, the other types of care available, the benefits and drawbacks of living in Monroe Township and provides a list of local resources that offer help and supports to seniors.

Directory of Assisted Living Facilities in Monroe Township, NJ

2013, 2015, 2016

Brookdale Monroe

380 Forsgate Drive, Monroe Township, NJ, 08831

We toured Brookdale Monroe. It was fine. That was the first one we went to. They’re in the middle of a renovation. There was some construction going on. Overall, it was nice. I didn’t think the food w … (read more)

The Chelsea at Forsgate

319 Forsgate Dr, Monroe Township, NJ, 08831

The Chelsea at Forsgate has good nursing services. They have quite a few nurses on staff, and we liked their friendliness, cleanliness, and pricing. One of the most important reasons why we’re choosin … (read more)

Cranbury Center

292 Applegarth Rd, Monroe Township, NJ, 08831

The Cranbury Center employs many wonderful nurses and doctors. Most of the aids are very caring and attentive. The center was clean and the dining room tables always have tablecloths on them for the … (read more)

Heritage of Clara Barton

1015 Amboy Ave., Edison, NJ, 08837

Heritage of Clara Barton was a nice assisted living facility. I went up there with my friend who had worked in assisted living in Brick. She dealt with memory care individuals. We went through the fac … (read more)

Spring Hills Somerset

473 DeMott Lane, Somerset, NJ, 08873

We like Spring Hills Somerset. I thought the facility was modern and clean. We found that there are a lot of options for food. The dining facilities were also clean and very updated. We also like that … (read more)

Sunrise of Marlboro

3A South Main Street, Marlboro, NJ, 07746

Sunrise of Marlboro was a wonderful place for our mother. Sunrise helped us with every aspect and stage of our mother’s care. What first appealed to us on our initial visit was the quality of the … (read more)

Mattison Crossing at Manalapan Avenue

93 Manalapan Avenue, Freehold, NJ, 07728

This is a good place for dad. They are very helpful and provide good communication to all the children. After one year dad is quite happy here and I appreciate the level of care as I live out of … (read more)

2014

Sunrise of East Brunswick

190 Summerhill Road, East Brunswick, NJ, 08816

My tour experience at Sunrise of East Brunswick was very good. It’s very homey, and it makes you feel like you’re on a cruise ship. The area where they eat is set up like a restaurant. The staff inter … (read more)

The Villas

289 Gordons Corner Road, Manalapan, NJ, 07726

We toured The Villas and the place was gorgeous, it’s beautiful. They only had one available apartment and it was very tiny, that’s the reason we didn’t go with them. The staff who gave the tour was w … (read more)

Millennium Memory Care – Monroe

310 Buckelew Avenue, Monroe, NJ, 08831

My relative just moved in recently and I must say we are happy thus far… The place is immaculate. the community is very clean and the staff is on top of things. Every resident has their own rooms wh … (read more)

Holly House

117 Dey Street, Hightstown, NJ, 08520

Holly House had an open, decent size common area and enough parking spots. It wasn’t as expensive as some of the other assisted living facilities. For a lower income or a cheaper place, this looked pr … (read more)

Rose Hill Assisted Living

1150 Washington Blvd., Robbinsville, NJ, 08691

My visit at Rose Hill was good. It was my least favorite because they didn’t really have a room for us to see. It was being worked on. The facility was a little less impressive to me; it kind of looke … (read more)

Spring Hills Princeton

1000 Windrow Drive, Princeton, NJ, 08540

They only had large rooms available, but I needed two rooms because I have a cat. The place was nice and the meals were quite good. They had a library and a salon. They had a full calendar of activiti … (read more)

HarborChase of Princeton

4331 Route 1 South, Princeton, NJ, 08540

Maplewood at Princeton

One Hospital Drive, Plainsboro, NJ, 08536

2018, 2019, 2022

Brandywine Living At Howell

100 Meridian Place, Howell, NJ, 07731

The staff is awesome. They go out of their way to know each resident and what their preferences are. My mom loves them. The facility is beautiful and well maintained. I am most impressed by Amy, the a … (read more)

2015

Brandywine Living at Governor’s Crossing

49 Lasatta Avenue, Englishtown, NJ, 07726

Facility is Clean! Food is ok Activities on point family visits mean a lot Staff always keeps us updated ! Some staff go above and beyond like Kyra , Carol , Jean, Brittany , Melissa and Amy Tha … (read more)

2013

The Chelsea at East Brunswick

606 Cranbury Road, East Brunswick, NJ, 08816

My parents stayed at The Chelsea at East Brunswick for about three years. It was generally a good experience. We had a few problems along the way that I had to complain about as far as the housekeepin … (read more)

Reformed Church Home

1990 Route 18 North, Old Bridge, NJ, 08857

Reformed Church Home is all good. My first impression when I visited was that it’s a bright, clean, and welcoming place. The staff member who accommodated me was friendly and informative. I saw their … (read more)

What to Consider About Assisted Living in Monroe Township

Assisted living communities in Monroe Township are regulated by the New Jersey Department of Health. The department issues rules for senior care at residential communities throughout the state, conducts site inspections and issues reports for the public. All of the facilities in New Jersey that offer residential assisted living support for seniors must be licensed through the department and comply with the department’s rules and state laws regarding senior care.

Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Monroe Township

• Monroe Township’s climate is a pleasant blend of mild summers and cool winters. The area gets around 29 inches of snow during the winter, and in the summer, daily highs average 86 degrees.
  • The cost of living in Monroe Township can be high relative to the rest of the country, but seniors living in New Jersey get a few breaks that help keep expenses manageable. New Jersey doesn’t tax Social Security income, and up to $75,000 of income from pensions and other retirement sources is free from tax. Property taxes can be high, but New Jersey’s sales tax of 7% falls well within the average range for most of the country.
  • Monroe Township has a relatively low crime rate for most categories. The violent crime index in the township is just 7.3, which is significantly lower than the national rate of 11.6.

• Seniors have a lot of options for getting around Monroe Township. In addition to the bus and rail service that connects the township with the greater New York urban area, the township’s transportation department operates a fleet of 12 buses for seniors aged 55 and over. Seniors can ride these buses for free, and spur lines connect regular routes with Princeton Hospital and CentraState at no charge.
  • The Monroe Township Senior Center helps local seniors keep active with a suite of programs and events open to all residents aged 55 and over. Sponsored events include a National Night Out, open house events at the township’s libraries and exercise classes geared toward seniors of all levels of fitness and physical ability.

Paying for Assisted Living in Monroe Township

Assisted living in Monroe Township costs seniors an average of $7,478 a month, according to Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey. The average monthly cost for New Jersey as a whole is lower at $6,650. The median cost of similar care nationwide is $4,300 a month.

The Cost of Living in Other Nearby Cities

With monthly costs of $7,478, assisted living is more expensive in Monroe Township than in many nearby cities. Further south, Atlantic City averages $5,790 a month. Ocean City has even lower costs at just $4,945. Assisted living in the Vineland area, which runs $6,523 a month, is still quite lower than Monroe Township’s costs.

$7478

Ocean City

$6523

Vineland

The Cost of Other Types of Senior Care

Seniors in Monroe Township have care options to choose from other than assisted living. Adult day health care costs an average of $1,788 a month, while in-home care from a homemaker or home health aide costs $4,910 and $4,957, respectively. Private rooms in nursing care homes cost an average of $11,999 a month, while a semiprivate room costs $10,783 per month.

$4910

Adult Day Health Care

$7478

Assisted Living Facility

$10783

Nursing Home Facility (semiprivate room)

$11999

Nursing Home Facility (private room)

Note: Care cost data for Monroe Township was not available, so data for the closest city, Trenton, was used instead.

Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Monroe Township

Assisted living services in Monroe Township may be covered under the state’s Medicaid Managed Long-Term Services and Supports waiver.

Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in New Jersey page.

Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Monroe Township

More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living

• Veterans Benefits
  • Life Insurance Policy
  • Long-Term Care Insurance
  • Reverse Mortgage

For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in New Jersey page.

Free Assisted Living Resources in Monroe Township

Monroe Township has numerous resources available for seniors who live in the area or plan to move soon. These government and nonprofit agencies provide free and low-cost services to support seniors with recreational and social activities, health and wellness classes and education, and case manager services that help seniors find the benefit programs they need.

ResourceContact Service
Middlesex County Aging & Disability Services(732) 745-3295Middlesex County Aging and Disability Services operates numerous programs to support seniors in the area. The service offers case management and support for applications to Medicare and Medicaid, as well as Meals on Wheels and transportation services for medical and personal trips. The service also coordinates social activities, such as the senior art contest. Service workers help seniors connect with professional caregivers and in-home health workers, as well as to find placement in local residential communities.
Monroe Township Office of Senior Services(609) 448-7140The Monroe Township Office of Senior Services operates local senior centers that act as a social hub for those in the community. Programs offered include free transportation services for seniors and people with limited mobility, exercise and fitness classes and education seminars on senior finances, health and safety issues and legal matters relating to senior care and estate planning. Membership is open to local seniors aged 55 and over.
Middlesex County’s Veterans Service Program(732) 745-4051The Middlesex County Veteran’s Service program helps honorably discharged veterans and their eligible spouses and dependents navigate the VA system to get the services they need. Support services include help signing up for VA benefits, including disability and pensions, connecting veterans with needed health services and help filing and appealing claims. Case manager assistance is available at no cost for veterans, and visits are available on a walk-in basis.

Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Monroe Township

Monroe Township-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in New Jersey are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in New Jersey page for more information about these laws.

Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Monroe Township