Famous for baseball and beer, Milwaukee, Wisconsin, is home to over 590,000 residents, of whom 10.5% are aged 65 and over. Seniors here have access to an array of geriatric health providers, including the trailblazing Acute Care for the Elderly Unit at Aurora Sinai Medical Center and the Acute Care for Elders Unit at Froedtert Menomonee Falls Hospital

Outside of a hospital, nursing homes offer the highest level of care available for many elderly people. These facilities provide around-the-clock custodial care, personal assistance and access to medical care from skilled nurses, physicians and therapists. Due to the services provided, nursing facilities are the most expensive senior care option for Milwaukee residents. At $9,429 per month, the cost of nursing home care in the city is significantly higher than the U.S. average of $7,756. Home health care and assisted living are more affordable yet effective alternatives for people who don’t require this level of care.

This guide provides detailed cost information for the different care types available in Milwaukee. It also lists some resources to support local seniors.

Directory of Nursing Homes in Milwaukee, WI

Canterbury Court

1840 N PROSPECT AVE, Milwaukee, WI, 53202

Located along Lake Michigan in Milwaukee, Canterbury Court provides seniors with a comfortable and safe assisted living community. This facility gets rave reviews for its high-end treatments, spacious … (read more)

Eastcastle Place

2505 E Bradford Ave, Milwaukee, WI, 53211

Ovation Jewish Home

1414 N Prospect Ave, Milwaukee, WI, 53202

I will start off by saying I was placed here after brain surgery and I did not have a say on where I was going to go. The Activity staff are wonderful!! The nurses and CNA often do not respond quick … (read more)

St Ann Rest Home

2020 S Muskego Ave, Milwaukee, WI, 53204

Spotlessly clean. Fantastic food. Fun activities. Beautiful grounds. Loving staff that surpasses all expectations. This includes everyone, from the folks who wash the floors to the nurses and adm … (read more)

Generations Adult Day Center

2330 N PROSPECT AVE, Milwaukee, WI, 53211

As current residents . I cant say enough positive comments. The staff and administration are caring, compassionate and always there to support and help. The apts are beautiful, and there are multiple … (read more)

Ascension Living Alexian Village

9301 N. 76 Street, Milwaukee, WI, 53223

Terrible place. Don’t leave your loved one here. Some of the Nurses are awful as in they dont give meds on time or at all, some aides are rude and rough, management wants to hear complaints but don’t … (read more)

BRIA of Trinity Village

7500 W. Dean Rd. , Milwaukee, WI, 53223

VMP Trinity doesn’t allow pets. I actually went there to look for a rehab center, and I saw the rooms for rehabs. It looked like the dining area was a cafeteria style, and I didn’t appreciate it. … (read more)

Cameo Care Center

5790 S 27TH ST, Milwaukee, WI, 53221

My mom experienced rehab at Cameo in 2012. Her health had declined to the point where she had to move out of her first Assistant living place. The facility (nursing home part) was clean. I arrived wit … (read more)

Sunrise Care Center

3540 S 43rd St, Milwaukee, WI, 53220

Long-term care portion was great. CNA’s and nurses were very caring, dietary staff were accommodating to needs. My mom needed therapy for a short time and she loved all the therapists.

CROSSROADS CARE CENTER OF MILWAUKEE

3216 West Highland Boulevard, Milwaukee, WI, 53208

The staff were really friendly. They showed us around and even introduced us to some of the clients that went there. This shocked me because usually when we visit different facilities they’re really d … (read more)

Mercy Res and Rehab Center

2727 W MITCHELL ST, Milwaukee, WI, 53215

Mercy Residential and Rehab was nice — nothing fancy– but adequate. The staff was good. They kept us updated as to my aunt’s status and what they were doing with her. We got a shared room for her, a … (read more)

St. Francis Place

3200 S 20th Street , Milwaukee, WI, 53215

While the conditions were not that terrible, they are completely understaffed causing people like my mother who was there this past June and July terrible inconvenience. My mother had fallen a couple … (read more)

Maple Ridge Health and Rehabilitation Center

2730 W Ramsey Avenue, Milwaukee, WI, 53221

Please be aware if you MUST send a family member here. The nurse practitioner has a horrible delivery and missed quite a lot of problems that could have been communicated to our family. Ask for a care … (read more)

MILLWAY CARE AND REHABILITATION CENTER

8534 W MILL RD, Milwaukee, WI, 53226

My sisters and I chose this facility because it was clean and close to all of our homes. We had also never heard anything negative about it. I visited my father 2-3 times a week-unannounced. We had pu … (read more)

Golden Livingcenter – Colonial Mnr

1616 W BENDER RD, Milwaukee, WI, 53209

My experience with Colonial Manor was a poor one. My mother was a resident there for about 5 months or so. The receptionist was rarely able to answer any questions when she was there to answer the pho … (read more)

St Annes Home For the Elderly

3800 N 92ND ST, Milwaukee, WI, 53222

Wisconsin Lutheran Care Center

6800 North 76th Street, Milwaukee, WI, 53223

Milwaukee County MHC Rehab Center

9455 Watertown Plank Rd, Milwaukee, WI, 53226

Luther Manor

4545 N 92ND ST, Wauwatosa, WI, 53225

Luther Manor in Wauwatosa is a faith-based senior living complex in Wauwatosa, a part of the Milwaukee metropolitan area. This faith-based life plan community welcomes non-denominational seniors and o … (read more)

Nursing Home Costs in Milwaukee, Wisconsin

In Milwaukee, semiprivate rooms in nursing homes cost an average of $9,429 per month, while private rooms cost $11,376 per month.

The Cost of Nursing Home Care in Nearby Cities

Comparing average prices for semiprivate rooms in nursing homes, the $9,429 monthly cost in Milwaukee is $1,673 above the national average of $7,756. Milwaukee also exceeds Wisconsin’s state average of $8,684 by $745.

Milwaukee nursing homes are also more expensive than those in nearby Wisconsin cities. The average cost here is $152 more than in Racine and $639 over the cost in Sheboygan. Seniors in Fond du Lac see a cost saving of $1,527 compared to their peers in Milwaukee. However, nursing home residents in Janesville pay $183 more than local seniors.

$9429

Fond du Lac

$9612

Janesville

The Cost of Other Types of Senior Care

To determine the most appropriate placement for an elderly loved one, it’s helpful to compare costs for other types of senior care in Milwaukee. Adult day care is the most affordable choice with an average cost of $1,322 per month. Home care and assisted living are almost on par at $5,053 and $5,073, respectively. Home health aide services are slightly higher at $5,243. Nursing home care is the most expensive option at $9,429 for a shared room and $11,376 for a private room.

$5053

Adult day health care

$5073

Assisted living

$9429

Nursing home (semiprivate room)

$11376

Nursing home (private room)

Financial Assistance for Nursing Home Care in Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Free Resources for Seniors in Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Many Milwaukee seniors and their families turn to local resources for information and support. These services may help delay a senior’s transition to a nursing facility. They can also help older citizens and their families understand their options for nursing home care in preparation for the time when it’s needed.

ResourceContactService
Meals on Wheels(414) 289-6874The Meals on Wheels program delivers hot, nutritious low-cost meals to homebound Milwaukee residents. Meals are delivered at noontime, Monday through Friday. To qualify, seniors must be aged 60 or older, or disabled, and unable to prepare their own meals or travel to a community dining site.
Milwaukee County Department on Aging(414) 289-6874The Milwaukee County Department on Aging provides free, confidential counseling regarding long-term care options and public and private benefits. Counselors can offer help with long-term care planning and accurate information on local resources including transportation and respite care.
Love Thy Neighbor Foundation(414) 562-6666The nonprofit Love Thy Neighbor Foundation coordinates and shares information on community resources to enhance the quality of life for seniors in Milwaukee County. Through the Foundation’s website, seniors and their families can find resources for in-home care, financial planning, transportation services, veterans’ benefits, legal services and home repairs and maintenance, among others.
Eras Senior Network(414) 488-6500Eras Senior Network offers supportive services to seniors at no cost, such as friendly visits and phone calls, help with letters, bills and forms. The organization also arranges transportation, outdoor maintenance/yard work services and minor home safety modifications.