65 Assisted Living Facilities near Wauwatosa, WI
There are 65 Assisted Living Facilities in the Wauwatosa area, with 7 in Wauwatosa and 58 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Wauwatosa is $5,181 per month. This is higher than the national median of $3,500. Cheaper nearby regions include West Allis with an average starting cost of $3,849.
To help you with your search, browse the 237 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Wauwatosa. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Wauwatosa 4.3 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include West Allis with an average rating of 4.3 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Wauwatosa, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 10 Assisted Living Facilities in Wauwatosa, WI
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Wauwatosa
Wauwatosa is located just four miles west of downtown Milwaukee and is home to a senior center, where adults aged 62 and over can attend afternoon movies, book discussions and day trips. In this city, the senior community accounts for almost 17 percent of the population of over 46,000 people.
Wauwatosa seniors have numerous assisted living options to choose from, including six in the city proper and over 50 more in nearby cities like Greendale and Elm Grove. In this city, as in all of the state, there are three different types of assisted living, including community-based residential facilities, residential care apartment complexes and adult family homes. These facilities are all licensed and regulated by the Wisconsin Department of Health Services.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Wauwatosa
- The Wauwatosa area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Wheaton Franciscan and Froedtert Hospital, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- In Milwaukee County, where Wauwatosa is located, the American Lung Association reports that 24-hour particle pollution levels are low but the level of ozone pollution, which may also be called smog, is very high. This may be a concern for seniors who have certain health conditions.
- Wauwatosa's summers are warm with relatively low humidity, and winters are very cold. Year-round temperatures in this city range between 16 and 81 degrees. The region receives about 40 inches of annual snowfall, which may be a consideration for seniors with mobility challenges.
- Seniors in Wauwatosa do not pay state income tax on income from Social Security benefits or public pensions, but other types of retirement income are fully taxable. The state's sales tax rate is very low, however, which may offset other tax expenses.
- On a 100-point index, safety in Wauwatosa is rated 11, meaning that it is safer than 11 percent of U.S. cities of all sizes. When compared only to similarly sized communities, the city's crime rate is quite a bit higher than average. Seniors may want to seek out an assisted living facility that has security features like alarm systems and high-security locks.
- The cost of living in Wauwatosa is about 10 percent higher than the state and U.S. average, mainly due to the relatively high cost of housing. This may be a concern for retirees on fixed incomes.
Paying for Assisted Living in Wauwatosa
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Wisconsin
Assisted Living costs in Wauwatosa start around $5,019 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Wauwatosa and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Wauwatosa
Seniors in Wauwatosa who meet income and asset guidelines may receive financial assistance for assisted living through the Medicaid State Plan as well as its waiver programs, including the Elderly and Physically Disabled 1915(c) Waiver program, the Community Options 1915(c) Waiver program and the Medicaid managed care 1915(b)(c) Family Care Waiver program.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Wisconsin page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Wisconsin page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Wauwatosa
Wauwatosa and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Wauwatosa, please visit our Assisted Living in Wisconsin page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Wauwatosa
Wauwatosa-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Wisconsin are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Wisconsin page for more information about these laws.
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Wauwatosa
Review of Oak Park Place Wauwatosa
My brother was supposed to go to Oak Park Place Wauwatosa but he needed more care and they didn't have that level of care. But I like this place and the rooms were nicely laid out with lots of ligh... Read more
Review of Oak Park Place Wauwatosa
Wonderful, caring staff at OPP. We as a family are so happy that we found "the place" for our grandmother. From top to bottom, the entire staff is helpful, kind and cares about their residents. ... Read more
Review of Harwood Place
This place is over priced for what you get. They have you pay an endowment fee. With only a small part of that refunded when you move out. Read more