59 Assisted Living Facilities near Milwaukee, WI
Also serving communities of Shorewood.
There are 59 Assisted Living Facilities in the Milwaukee area, with 33 in Milwaukee and 26 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Milwaukee is $3,891 per month. This is higher than the national median of $3,500. Cheaper nearby regions include Saint Francis with an average starting cost of $3,815.
To help you with your search, browse the 196 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Milwaukee. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Milwaukee 4.0 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Saint Francis with an average rating of 4.7 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Milwaukee, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 10 Assisted Living Facilities in Milwaukee, WI
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Milwaukee
Located on the shores of Lake Michigan, Milwaukee is known as the City of Festivals and seniors retiring to the area can enjoy great events like the CedarBrew Hootenany or the Highland Games. Milwaukee has a relatively small senior population with just 10 percent of the city's 595,000 residents aged 65 and over. There are 58 assisted living facilities in the area catering to this population and all are licensed and monitored by Wisconsin's Bureau of Assisted Living.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Milwaukee
- Income from Social Security and public pensions are not subject to state income tax in Wisconsin, but money from private pensions and retirement accounts are fully taxable. Sales taxes in the state are very low and seniors can also benefit from the sales tax exemptions on groceries and prescription medication.
- The air quality in Milwaukee County, including Milwaukee, is mixed. The State of the Air 2018 report gave the county a failing grade for ozone pollution and an A grade for 24-hour particle pollution. Seniors with respiratory illnesses may wish to investigate how this may impact their health.
- The Milwaukee area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Froedtert Hospital, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- Milwaukee County Transit System provides public transport services in Milwaukee. Riders aged 65 and older qualify for reduced fares and some seniors may also be eligible for the Transit Plus paratransit service.
- The overall cost of living in Milwaukee is rated at 90 on the Sperling index, 10 points lower than the national average. Despite this, healthcare costs are five points higher than the U.S. average, which may affect the budget of seniors with health conditions.
- Milwaukee's overall crime rate of 55 crimes per 1,000 residents puts it among the Top 100 Most Dangerous Cities in America. The violent crime rate is 16.1, which is more than five times higher than the Wisconsin rate. Safety-conscious seniors may wish to ask about security measures when touring assisted living facilities.
Paying for Assisted Living in Milwaukee
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Wisconsin
Assisted Living costs in Milwaukee start around $3,891 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Milwaukee and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Milwaukee
Wisconsin's state Medicaid program provides waivers for qualified seniors that can help pay for supportive services at assisted living care facilities. Though the waivers do not cover room-and-board costs, they do set a limit on what a facility can charge for those services.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Wisconsin page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Wisconsin page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Milwaukee
Milwaukee and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Milwaukee, please visit our Assisted Living in Wisconsin page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Milwaukee
Milwaukee-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Wisconsin are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Wisconsin page for more information about these laws.
Other Options in Milwaukee, WI
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Milwaukee
Review of Autumn Lake Healthcare at Greenfield
My sister-in-law is in Autumn Lake. It's OK, but we can't visit her right now because of COVID. She's been there since December. As far as I can tell, they have good activities for the residents. T... Read more
Review of Ascension Living Alexian Village
My parents both stayed at Ascension Living Alexian Village. My dad was gonna move out with my mom too, but for some reason they have a 60-day notice, which I thought is so silly, because my parents... Read more
Review of Ascension Living Alexian Village
I toured. It was a nice place and I would consider it for my dad. It had a new dining area, there was also a church inside of the building, they have a nice sitting area outside for the residents, ... Read more