36 Assisted Living Facilities near Brown Deer, WI
There are 36 Assisted Living Facilities in the Brown Deer area, with 2 in Brown Deer and 34 nearby.
To help you with your search, browse the 77 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Brown Deer. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Brown Deer 4.5 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Saint Francis with an average rating of 4.7 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Brown Deer, call (855) 863-8283.
2 Assisted Living Facilities in Brown Deer, WI
34 Assisted Living Facilities near Brown Deer, WI
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Brown Deer
Brown Deer, located in southeast Wisconsin along the shores of Lake Michigan, was first settled by the Yankees. Legend has it that the town was named in honor of a deer that jumped through a saloon door and disrupted a card game or after a deer that stuck its head in a window. History, however, has proven that the town already had its name before either of these incidents took place.
Today, Brown Deer is home to a sizable senior population with 16.6% of residents being aged 65 or older. To help accommodate this population, there are two assisted living facilities located within the city limits and another 35 located in nearby neighborhoods. Assisted living facilities in Brown Deer and throughout Wisconsin are overseen by the Wisconsin Department of Health Services.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Brown Deer
- Wisconsin does not tax Social Security benefits or public pensions, which could leave more money in the assisted living budgets of Brown Deer seniors.
- The overall cost of living in Brown Deer is 96.4, lower than the state average of 97.8 and the national average of 100. Although area seniors can expect to pay less for groceries, healthcare and transportation are both higher than the state and national averages at 105.4 and 114.2, respectively. Seniors with restrictive budgets may want to keep the higher costs of transportation and healthcare in mind when preparing for their monthly expenses.
- Although violent crime rates in Brown Deer are lower than the national average of 22.7, at 17.5, the city’s property crime rates are higher than the national average of 35.4, at 59.7. Seniors planning to retire to the area may want to ensure that their chosen facility is well-lit with security systems in place.
- The Brown Deer area has few facilities from which to choose in the event of a medical emergency or illness, with the nearest major hospital located in Milwaukee.
- Brown Deer seniors have several options for medical transportation through IndependenceFirst, with some offering discounts and others that are covered by Medicaid programs. SeniorExpress also provides door-to-door transportation to medical appointments and errands for area seniors. Rides through this service must be booked in advance.
- Residents of Brown Deer enjoy summer temperatures of 83 degrees, along with 13-degree winter temperatures. The city gets 35 inches of rain and 44 inches of snow each year, something for seniors with mobility issues to keep in mind.
Note: Data reported on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Brown Deer
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Wisconsin
Assisted Living costs in Brown Deer start around $0 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Brown Deer and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Brown Deer
Brown Deer seniors might be able to get financial assistance for their assisted living costs through Wisconsin’s Medicaid waiver, known as the Elderly and Physically Disabled waiver program.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Wisconsin page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Wisconsin page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Brown Deer
Brown Deer and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Brown Deer, please visit our Assisted Living in Wisconsin page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Brown Deer
Brown Deer-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Wisconsin are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Wisconsin page for more information about these laws.
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Brown Deer
Review of KindredHearts of Brown Deer
My elder relative spent her last years here and died peacefully in her sleep 2 years ago.. She had advanced memory problems, but with help from the staff (and a disinclination to go outside on ... Read more
Review of Lighthouse of Brown Deer
Lighthouse Brown Deer was close to where I live. It's not that far for me travel to visit my father. The food looks pretty good, and he likes the food. The rooms are all right. It's not that big, a... Read more