Mequon is an affluent suburban community located just 20 miles from Milwaukee. The city is home to 24,382 residents, and seniors represent nearly 25% of the population. Ozaukee County has the highest concentration of older adults in southeast Wisconsin. Mequon ranks well for its livability. The area has several green spaces and nature preserves, including Virmond Park, which overlooks Lake Michigan. Residents can also discover local history at the Jonathan Clark House, a 19th-century homestead and former meeting place for the area’s early settlers.

Seniors who want to enjoy more of the area’s amenities may consider assisted living. This form of residential care is suitable for adults who are active and independent but need occasional help with personal care or household tasks. Senior living communities in Mequon charge $5,073 per month, according to Genworth Financial’s Cost of Care Survey for 2020. Although this is higher than the state and national average, rates include accommodations, meals, personal care and recreational activities.

This guide features information about local providers and average prices. We’ve also included a directory of free resources to help with long-term care planning.

Directory of Assisted Living Facilities in Mequon, WI

StoryPoint Mequon

6751 W. Mequon Road, Mequon, WI, 53092

Great management and caregivers. My mother loves her unit and tells me all the time how great the food is. StoryPoint was recommended by a friend and we are so happy with our decision.

2014, 2015

Cedarhurst of Mequon

10803 North Port Washington Road, Mequon, WI, 53092

I toured this community for my mom. The apartments are spacious and have a full kitchen. Staff was very knowledgeable and you could tell they cared about the residents. They also offer a pendant … (read more)

Ovation Sarah Chudnow

10995 N Market St, Mequon, WI, 53092

Sarah Chudnow was a very big place. I saw a large number of staff, as it was an assisted living, a memory facility, and a physical therapy facility. The staff seemed to be very busy, and I was able to … (read more)

Menomonee Place

N84W17147 Menomonee Ave, Menomonee Falls, WI, 53051

I toured Menomonee Place and it was a wonderful experience. It was amazing. It was affordable, it was clean, and everybody there was friendly. The staff during the tour, Dawn, was wonderful. I looked … (read more)

The Arboretum Senior Living

W180 N7890 Town Hall Road, Menomonee Falls, WI, 53051

The Arboretum Senior Living seemed like a good place. They had good units and apartments in a nice setting, but it didn’t provide the level of service we needed. The staff members were pleasant. The r … (read more)

HarborChase of Shorewood

1111 East Capitol Drive, Shorewood, WI, 53211

HarborChase of Shorewood is located in the quiet suburb of Shorewood, Wisconsin, close to Lincoln Park, Metro Market and the Milwaukee River. Residents love that they can choose to eat their meals at … (read more)

Heartis Village North Shore

100 W. River Woods Parkway, Glendale, WI, 53212

My mother moved to Heartis Village North Shore. It’s awesome; they work hard to make it feel like a community. They assured me, and I was able to see happy residents. So I know that my mom is going to … (read more)

Milan Estates

715 E. Milan Drive, Saukville, WI, 53080

My sister is at Milan Estates. We chose it because of the size. They are very attentive, and we are extremely satisfied with their service so far. The staff has been very kind and very welcoming. She … (read more)

Ebenezer Christian Home LLC

3207 N 36th Street, Milwaukee, WI, 53216

Excellent care. Therapy was helpful and practical. Staff was amazing. Food was good, especially the soup. Guests were warmly welcomed by the staff.

Laurel Oaks Senior Living

1700 W. Bender Road, Glendale, WI, 53209

We went to look at Laurel Oaks Senior Living. The director was not available at that time, so it was pretty much a tour of what rooms they had available. It wasn’t too much about the program and how … (read more)

Azura Assisted Living and Memory Care of Fox Point

7770 North Point Washington Road, Fox Point, WI, 53217

Deerwood Crossing

4195 W Bradley Rd., Milwaukee, WI, 53209

Willowbrook Place

205 Green Bay Road, Thiensville, WI, 53092

willow brook has the most amazing staff and wonderful fun activities for everyone! my mom loves the art and of course happy hour on Thursdays! the apartments are beautiful and the facility is extrem … (read more)

Ellen’s Home of Germantown South

W150 N11127 Fond du Lac Ave., Germantown, WI, 53022

My mother received excellent care at Ellen’s Home Germantown South. It was very clean as far as what we could see through the window. She was very happy, and she was actually doing very well. Her hear … (read more)

Frontida of Germantown

N109W17525 Virginia Ave, Germantown, WI, 53022

The staff is always interactive with my dad. He and all the residents all look well kept. The staff always has dad ready when I call to ask them to have him ready to go out.

McKinley Place

W56N225 McKinley Boulevard, Cedarburg, WI, 53012

My mother in law gets TERRIBLE service here. It’s greatly understaffed. She is ignored as many of the residents are, when they call for help. She is missed from pick up at dinner time and states that … (read more)

Lincoln Village Senior Living

1330 W Lincoln Avenue, Port Washington, WI, 53074

I toured Lincoln Village Senior Living and I thought they did a great job. It’s a huge place and they have a lot of amenities, but I think it was just too big for my mom. I think if she would have sta … (read more)

Ellen’s Home of Port Washington

1800 Granite Ln, Port Washington, WI, 53074

We toured Ellen’s Home of Port Washington and it looks like a newer place. It’s in a beautiful subdivision. Sonja, our tour guide, did a fantastic job of touring us. They call it a senior assisted liv … (read more)

Riverview Village

W176N9430 Rivercrest, Menomonee Falls, WI, 53051

Riverview Village was very expensive, and the rooms were very small. It was more like a nursing home than an assisted living facility. The staff seemed fine. The rooms need to be more updated for assi … (read more)

Ellen’s Home of Germantown

N113W16358 Sylvan Circle, Germantown, WI, 53022

well if I have to be honest I went to visit this place in hopes to place my father. I found it very clean but upon my arrival I found it hard to get someones attention, there was a woman I then found … (read more)

What to Consider About Assisted Living in Mequon

Regardless of the community you choose, all assisted living facilities in Mequon and surrounding areas must meet safety standards enforced by the Wisconsin Department of Health Services, Division of Quality Assurance. This agency regulates four types of assisted living centers classified as adult day care facilities, adult family homes, community-based residential facilities and residential care apartment complexes.

Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Mequon

• Mequon is more pleasant than most communities in Wisconsin based on climate data. Seniors can expect chilly winters with above-average snowfall and lows in the teens. However, rainfall is average, and summers are pleasant with highs in the low 80s.
  • Seniors who have advanced medical needs or are interested in preventive care are in an excellent location. Nearly two dozen hospitals are located in the greater Milwaukee area, and Mequon’s Ascension Columbia St. Mary’s Hospital Ozaukee specializes in treating heart failure. Mequon also has 442 physicians per 100,000 residents compared to the U.S. average of 210.
  • Individuals who have chronic medical conditions, such as asthma or COPD, should be aware that Ozaukee County has poor air quality. Although it received an A rating for 24-hour particulates, the American Lung Association gave it an F for ozone pollution. Seniors may need to take extra precautions during the summer months and on high-ozone days.
  • The cost of living in Mequon is approximately 25% higher than the national average. Real estate costs are the driving factor behind this statistic. However, most other costs, including utilities, transportation, health care and groceries, are on par with the U.S. median.
  • Mequon’s cost of living is also influenced by local tax rates. Sales tax is affordable at 5.6% compared to 7.3% in other parts of the country, but income tax is slightly higher than the national average at 6.3%. Although Social Security benefits are exempt, other forms of retirement income are taxed at this rate.
  • Crime rates in Mequon are 70% lower than the U.S. average, which makes it an appealing location for families and older adults. Low levels of violent crimes and property-related offenses earned the community an A+ rating from AreaVibes. Assisted living facilities also provide enhanced security features.

Paying for Assisted Living in Mequon

According to Genworth Financial, assisted living facilities in Mequon charge $5,073 per month, higher than the state and national average.

The Cost of Assisted Living in Nearby Cities

Mequon is one of the most expensive locations for assisted living in southeast Wisconsin. Seniors in the area pay $673 more than the state median of $4,400 and $773 more than the national average of $4,300. Rates are also higher than other metropolitan areas in the region. Prices in Madison and Sheboygan are approximately $125 lower. Seniors in Fond du Lac save $387 per month, and those in Racine save $423.

$5073

Fond du Lac

$4956

Madison

The Cost of Other Types of Senior Care

With an average cost of $5,073 per month, assisted living is cheaper than many forms of long-term care. Seniors who want to live at home and can travel to a community-based facility typically pay $1,322 per month for adult day health care. Rates increase to $5,053 per month for homemaker services and $5,243 for a home health aide. Seniors who require a higher level of medical support can expect to pay roughly twice as much for skilled nursing based on average rates of $9,429 for a semiprivate room and $11,376 for a private room.

$5053

Adult Day Health Care

$5073

Assisted Living Facility

$9429

Nursing Home Facility (semiprivate room)

$11376

Nursing Home Facility (private room)

Note: Care cost data for Mequon was not available, so data for the closest city, Milwaukee, was used instead.

Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Mequon

Mequon seniors who are frail and low-income may be able to receive help paying for services received in assisted living through the Family Care and Personal Care programs, although the services covered are limited.

Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Wisconsin page.

Paying for Assisted Living Facilities in Wisconsin

More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living

• Veterans Benefits
  • Life Insurance Policy
  • Long-Term Care Insurance
  • Reverse Mortgage

For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Wisconsin page.

Free Assisted Living Resources in Mequon

Seniors in Mequon and southeast Wisconsin can take advantage of various government-sponsored services designed to improve their well-being and connect them with community-based resources. Learn more about some of the most comprehensive resources below.

Resource

Contact

Service

The Ozaukee County Aging and Disability Resource Center is a one-stop-shop for information about long-term care, senior nutrition programs, transportation and government benefits. Staff members provide one-on-one consultations to help seniors and disabled adults access appropriate services and cut through the red tape associated with applications and appeals.

GWAAR is a nonprofit government-affiliated agency that provides information about state and federal programs available to seniors, disabled adults and caregivers in Mequon and more than 70 counties and tribal areas statewide. In addition to planning for the state's future long-term care needs, it provides elder law resources, guardianship assistance, senior employment opportunities and information about preventing Medicare fraud.

Located in Port Washington, this county agency provides informational services and application assistance to help veterans and dependents qualify for local, state and federal benefits. These programs can help with medical services, transportation and long-term care. Individuals who receive a military pension may qualify for a financial supplement designed to cover the cost of personal care provided at home or in an assisted living facility.

Seniors and retirees looking for a way to stay active while giving back to the community can find a variety of volunteer opportunities through Ozaukee Family Services. Mequon residents can serve as volunteer drivers or provide grocery shopping assistance. The organization also needs individuals who can perform basic household maintenance and handyman chores or are willing to volunteer at annual fundraisers and special events.

The Board on Aging and Long Term Care manages the state's Long-Term Care Ombudsman Program and Medigap Helpline. The ombudsman for Ozaukee County serves current and prospective long-term care residents by providing information about assisted living facilities and residents' rights. It also accepts complaints and works with providers to resolve disputes and concerns about the quality of care.

Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Mequon

Mequon-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Wisconsin are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Wisconsin page for more information about these laws.

Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Wisconsin