60 Assisted Living Facilities near Greendale, WI
With an average cost of $4,740 in Greendale, it’s often difficult to find assisted living communities that provide high-quality care at an affordable price. At Caring.com, our mission is to make this process as smooth and painless as possible, and we’ve helped many families along the way.
This guide provides everything you need to quickly compare communities and narrow your search, including 14 unique reviews from residents and our comprehensive database that gives pricing, amenity information, photos and more on the 2 facilities in Greendale.
2 Assisted Living Facilities in Greendale, WI
58 Assisted Living Facilities near Greendale, WI
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Greendale
Located southwest of Milwaukee, the village of Greendale, Wisconsin, was named a National Historic Landmark in 2012 for its role as a government-sponsored greenbelt community during the Great Depression. This successful model of a planned community is now home to over 14,000 residents, with seniors aged 65 and older making up around 23% of the population.
In the state of Wisconsin, including Greendale, community-based residential facilities (CBRFs), residential care apartment complexes (RCACs), adult family homes and adult day care are all considered types of assisted living facilities and are licensed by the Wisconsin Department of Health Services. There are two of these communities available in Greendale and another 48 in the surrounding areas.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Greendale
- The Milwaukee County Transit System (MCTS) makes it easy for seniors to get around Greendale with a number of fixed route services. MCTS offers a New Freedom program dedicated to providing seniors with tools and resources to help them use the service safely and independently.
- Winters in Greendale are very harsh, which could be troublesome for seniors who enjoy warm weather and outdoor activities. Temperatures can drop to 13 degrees, and 45 inches of snow is expected each year, which is far higher than the national average of 28 inches.
- In terms of violent crime, Greendale is considered much safer than the average U.S. city. Out of 100, it receives a score of 9.2 (where lower is better), compared to the national average of 22.7. Property crime, however is much higher at 50.8 compared to 35.4 nationally, which is noteworthy for safety-conscious seniors.
- Seniors on a tight budget may need plan carefully when choosing to live in Greendale. Based on the U.S. national average of 100, the overall cost of living is rated 109, which is also higher than the statewide average of 97.8.
- Greendale offers many local arts and culture opportunities for seniors. Historic Downtown Greendale is home to a collection of boutiques, shops and restaurants and hosts a number of events and celebrations throughout the year. Other popular attractions include Trimborn Farm, a Civil War homestead, and the internationally renowned Whitnall Park Boerner Botanical Gardens.
- Greendale has few facilities from which to choose in the event of a medical emergency or illness, with the nearest major hospitals located in Milwaukee.
Note: Data reported on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Greendale
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Wisconsin
Assisted Living costs in Greendale start around $4,740 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Greendale and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Greendale
As one of only six states to offer non-Medicaid state-funded programs in addition to Medicaid waiver programs, Wisconsin offers seniors plenty of resources available to help supplement the cost of assisted living services. Options include the Community Option Program and Supplemental Security Income exceptional expense (SSI-E) payments.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Wisconsin page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Wisconsin page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Greendale
Greendale and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Greendale, please visit our Assisted Living in Wisconsin page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Greendale
Greendale-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Wisconsin are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Wisconsin page for more information about these laws.
Assisted Living near Greendale, WI
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Greendale
Review of Clifden Court
My wife is in Clifden Court. We chose it because it is only five or six years old. It is clean. The people are nice. They have activities, like bingo, hangman, Catholic mass, and visitors who sing.... Read more
Review of Harbour Village
The people at Harbour Village are just superb. We have been there a couple of times. We've eliminated them because the apartments are so dated. When remodeling they're don't even put dishwashers in... Read more
Review of Harbour Village
Harbour Village and its rooms were nice. They showed me the spa unit and the dining area. They had different programs going on each day. Read more