Palm Harbor is a charming community of 61,000 located on the Gulf Coast about 20 miles north of St. Petersburg. This Census-designated place is known for its championship golf course and quaint downtown. Although Palm Harbor is surrounded by resorts, the cost of living is just slightly higher than the national average, and the state has no income tax, which is part of its appeal among cost-conscious retirees. Seniors benefit from a very pleasant climate, and advanced medical care is available in Dunedin and Clearwater.

Despite the moderate cost of living, local nursing homes charge $9,946 per month, which is higher than the state and national averages. Like hospitals, these facilities provide 24-hour medical care that’s delivered by nurses and overseen by physicians. Seniors who are mostly independent or require assistance with just a few activities of daily living may be better candidates for in-home care or assisted living.

This guide features information about long-term care costs and local providers in Palm Harbor. It explores alternative forms of care and concludes with a directory of agencies that can address seniors’ immediate needs.

Directory of Nursing Homes in Palm Harbor, FL

Stratford Court of Palm Harbor

45 Katherine Boulevard, Palm Harbor, FL, 34684

Located in Palm Harbor, Florida, Stratford Court of Palm Harbor is conveniently close to Wall Springs Park, Palm Harbor Blvd and Palm Harbor Shops. Visitors describe the dining room as attractive and … (read more)

St. Mark Village

2655 Nebraska Avenue, Palm Harbor, FL, 34684

Just had lunch with my 93-yr old grandmother who has lived there for 18 years and the food was awesome! They have a new culinary director and I thought I was eating at a fine dining restaurant. Loo … (read more)

Manor Care Health Services of Palm Harbor

2851 TAMPA RD, Palm Harbor, FL, 34684

The rehab services that Manor Care Health Services of Palm Harbor provide is very good. The PT, especially, is working with my mother diligently to get her back to walking. Cleanliness is fair. They’r … (read more)

Countryside Rehab & Healthcare Center

3825 Countryside Blvd, Palm Harbor, FL, 34684

My Mom was transferred to Countryside rehab from Mease hospital since we didn’t have many choices under the Humana plan, after 10 days she was getting worse not better and when I inquired to get her … (read more)

Bay Tree Care and Rehabilitation Center

2600 HIGHLANDS BLVD NORTH, Palm Harbor, FL, 34684

I would absolutely NOT put a relative in this facility. Totally understaffed, food is expired and disgusting ( my mom had insects in her food), did not receive the physical therapy nor the proper car … (read more)

The Oaks of Clearwater

420 Bay Avenue, Clearwater, FL, 33756

Trinity Regional Rehab Center

2144 WELBILT BLVD, Trinity, FL, 34655

My Mom was a resident of Trinity Regional for four years. She was treated with dignity and kindness by the staff. The facility was clean and quite pleasant. The food was not terrible just typical i … (read more)

Regency Oaks

2751 Regency Oaks Blvd, Clearwater, FL, 33759

I visit my friend at Regency Oaks all the time. The staff members were very efficient, and they seemed very caring. I like that they have their own physical therapist and occupational therapist. The l … (read more)

Orchid Cove at Gulfside

1100 Pine St, Clearwater, FL, 33756

Glen Oaks Health and Rehabilitation Center was a good facility. They have a lot of medical staff and nurses. The director was very helpful, very kind, and went above and beyond. They have a hair salon … (read more)

Palm Garden of Clearwater

3480 McMullen Booth Road, Clearwater, FL, 33761

The Palm Garden of Clearwater was fine. The staff was friendly. The facility was all on one level. It was clean and didn’t have an odor or anything.

West Bay Rehabilitation and Nursing Center

3865 TAMPA ROAD, Oldsmar, FL, 34677

Please do not put your loved one in this facility, while the nurses and aid were fine, the administrative office is horrible.

Peninsula Care And Rehabilitation Center

900 Beckett Way, Tarpon Springs, FL, 34689

Peninsula Care And Rehabilitation Center was very clean, small, and all on one story. The physical therapy department was very small, though. The nurses were wonderful. Some of the aides were good, bu … (read more)

Belleair Health Care Center

1150 Ponce De Leon Blvd , Clearwater, FL, 33756

My mother has moved into long-term care at Belleair Health Care Center. My sister and I have both been struggling with communication. We’re not getting our calls returned, and we’re getting different … (read more)

Highland Pines Rehabilitation Center

1111 South Highland Avenue , Clearwater, FL, 33756

The staff at Highland Pines Rehabilitation was great. They encourage you to keep working. I would rate it very well; they were excellent. I haven’t found any faults. I thought they were great, and the … (read more)

Mease Continuing Care

910 New York Avenue, Dunedin, FL, 34698

I have visited and worked at Mease Continuing Care in the Skilled nursing unit for 2 short months. In this period of time I have experienced what this section of the facility was all about. Let me beg … (read more)

Kensington Gardens

2055 Palmetto St, Clearwater, FL, 33765

I broke my left leg on February 12. I had emergency surgery, and then I was transferred to Kensington Gardens Rehab for my healing process for my broken leg. We have a new administrator for the last t … (read more)

Manor Care Health Services of Dunedin

870 PATRICIA AVE, Dunedin, FL, 34698

Prior to admissions they tell you they promise you everything. One of the nurses actually said that the admissions person is just like a car salesmen, they tell you what you want to hear to get your … (read more)

Tarpon Bayou Center

515 Chesapeake Dr, Tarpon Springs, FL, 34689

The stress of having my mother in a nursing home was nothing compared to the stress of not being able to talk with her 75% of the time. Their phone system/services are archaic!!! It stressed my out mo … (read more)

Westchester Gardens Health & Rehabilitation

3301 North McMullen Booth Road, Clearwater, FL, 33761

Resident rooms are old looking. One particular weekend cna for residents was more interested in her phone than caring for the patients. Pretty annoying when walking through smelling urine.

Lakeside Oaks Care Center

1061 VIRGINIA ST, Dunedin, FL, 34698

RUN RUN from this place. my father was moved here from the hospital for more recovery time. He was supposed to be getting therapy 5 x a week and was lucky to get once a week. The aides were horrible l … (read more)

Nursing Home Costs in Palm Harbor, FL

Nursing homes in Palm Harbor are costly, with a median rate of $9,946 for a semiprivate room and $11,391 for a private room.

The Cost of Nursing Home Care in Nearby Cities

Seniors in Palm Harbor and the Tampa Bay area pay more for nursing home care than residents in other parts of the state. Prices are 15% higher than the state median and 28% higher than the national average.

Looking at the region, local seniors pay about $800 more than their peers in Sarasota and Orlando. Nursing homes in The Villages cost $973 less, and prices fall to $8,638 in Lakeland, a monthly savings of approximately $1,300.

$9946

Sarasota

$8638

Lakeland

The Cost of Other Types of Senior Care

Long-term care prices vary considerably in Palm Harbor. At $9,946, a semiprivate room in a nursing home costs more than twice as much as full-time care provided by a home health aide or personal care attendant at $4,195 and $4,576, respectively. Nursing home care costs three times as much as assisted living, which averages $3,225. Seniors in assisted living receive day-to-day help, and third-party health care services may be available. Seniors who live at home but lack social interaction can attend an adult day health care program for around $1,993 per month.

$4195

Adult day health care

$3225

Assisted living

$9946

Nursing home (semiprivate room)

$11391

Nursing home (private room)

Note: Data for Palm Harbor was unavailable, so data for the nearest city, Tampa, was used instead.

Financial Assistance for Nursing Home Care in Palm Harbor, FL

Free Resources for Seniors in Palm Harbor, FL

Seniors in Palm Harbor are in a very age-friendly community that offers a wide range of supportive services. A few helpful resources for nursing home residents and those who are considering transitioning to nursing home care are listed below, and many others are available.

Resource

Contact

Service

Family caregivers and seniors who are considering nursing home care can contact this Area Agency on Aging for free information and advice. The agency can assess seniors' needs and help with applications for Medicaid long-term care benefits. Many services are available to area residents aged 60 and older, regardless of their income or physical needs. Every year, the agency helps more than 61,000 seniors by offering fall-prevention courses, transportation, meals, legal advice and in-home assistance.

The Palm Harbor CSA works with the local senior council to sponsor programs that support healthy aging. Its recreation center offers pickleball, tap dance, cardio drumming, card games, craft workshops and art guilds for seniors who share common interests. The calendar of events features ice cream socials, legal clinics, health fairs and free medical screenings, including blood pressure checks.

Home repairs and upkeep can become a burden for seniors who are unable to complete maintenance tasks themselves. Fortunately, the county offers several programs to help seniors maintain or upgrade their homes. Moderate-income homeowners qualify for interest-free home repair loans that can be paid back over 20 years, and the Independent Living Program provides grants for accessibility modifications, such as ramps and grab bars.

POC is a Community Action Partnership agency that administers a number of local, state and federal programs that benefit area seniors. The agency provides home energy assistance to seniors who have to choose between food, rent and medications. It offers volunteer companionship programs for homebound seniors, in-home chore assistance and mobile dental care clinics. Services are available to seniors aged 60 and older with the greatest need.

Neighborly serves seniors throughout Pinellas County by offering door-to-door bus transportation, supervised daytime recreation programs and nutritional services. Homebound seniors can receive delivered meals, and active residents are encouraged to schedule a ride to a senior café to enjoy a free lunch and fun activities, such as karaoke, aerobics and workouts.