Nestled between the Gulf of Mexico and Old Tampa Bay, Largo is a city where more than one in every four residents, 21,363 altogether, is over the age of 65. While the heat and humidity of the city’s summer season can be off-putting, its enviable winter climate and high number of physicians ensure it remains a popular retirement locale. Largo offers several choices of health care providers, with Largo Medical Center among its most highly ranked.

From medication management and wound care to vital signs monitoring and assistance with activities of daily living, nursing homes offer the widest range of care services outside of a hospital. Physicians and registered nurses are typically available 24/7, and many facilities have on-site therapy services. With semiprivate rooms in Largo’s nursing homes averaging $9,946 a month, higher than the state and national averages, seniors who don’t need constant medical supervision may want to consider home care or assisted living, which cost significantly less.

In addition to discussing the costs of senior care, this guide provides an overview of resources that could help seniors pay for nursing home care and choose the best facility for their needs. For seniors who wish to put off moving into a nursing facility, we also included in-home care services.

Directory of Nursing Homes in Largo, FL

Oak Manor Senior Living Community

3500 OAK MANOR LANE, Largo, FL, 33774

Oak Manor Senior Living Community, located in Largo, FL, is close to Indian Rocks Beach and Belleair Beach. Residents are delighted by a clubhouse, shuffleboard courts and a library for quiet reading. … (read more)

Encompass Health Rehabilitation Hospital of Largo

901 Clearwater Largo Road, Largo, FL, 33770

My mom was at Encompass Health Rehabilitation Hospital of Largo. Considering COVID, it was pretty good. They would only allow one person back at a time. When my mother first went there after her strok … (read more)

Opis Tierra Pines Center

7380 ULMERTON RD, Largo, FL, 33771

My husband is at Tierra Pines Center. It’s very good. The staff seems pretty good. I haven’t been there personally, since he had been there since the pandemic. I’ve seen his room on the phone when I c … (read more)

Sabal Palms Health & Rehabilitation

499 Alternate Keene Road, Largo, FL, 33771

My mom has moved into Sabal Palms Health & Rehabilitation. In the beginning, it was a little rough; but now everything has smoothed out, and she seems to be fine. We have limited visitation. She c … (read more)

Palm Garden of Largo

10500 Starkey Road, Largo, FL, 33777

I would not ever bring any of my family members here ever. It is under staff you wait an hour to 2 hours to get your pain medicine if you need it you wait for any hour to get waterAnd the food here is … (read more)

Palm Garden of Pinellas

200 16th Ave S.E., Largo, FL, 33771

Rooms aren’t safe. No alarms in rooms so if one gets out of bed no one knows. Hard wood floor, no slippers with non skid material on the. Staff was very unfriendly and unhelpful won’t answer questi … (read more)

Bardmoor Oaks Healthcare and Rehabilitation Center

9035 Bryan Dairy Rd, Largo, FL, 33777

My father was at Bardmoor Oaks Healthcare and Rehabilitation Center after he broke his hip. It seemed very disorganized. The COVID protocols were not in place. If you went from 9:00 to 5:00, there’s s … (read more)

The Oaks of Clearwater

420 Bay Avenue, Clearwater, FL, 33756

Freedom Square of Seminole

7800 Liberty Lane, Seminole, FL, 33778

Our tour at Freedom Square of Seminole went great. The place was lovely. I met the lady in the front office and she was great. The rooms were a little dark, but they were clean. They had a bar, a rest … (read more)

Regency Oaks

2751 Regency Oaks Blvd, Clearwater, FL, 33759

I visit my friend at Regency Oaks all the time. The staff members were very efficient, and they seemed very caring. I like that they have their own physical therapist and occupational therapist. The l … (read more)

East Bay Rehabilitation Center

4470 East Bay Drive , Clearwater, FL, 33764

My friend was taken there for rehab. He was there 29 hours and fell 3 times. The third time he fell out of a wheelchair. An aide was sitting right next to him, but was busy working on her computer o … (read more)

Lexington Health and Rehabilitation Center

6300 46th Avenue N, Saint Petersburg, FL, 33709

Very upset and disappointed. Few years back I had a wonderful experience so I tried again . I was suppose to go to rapid rehab but wound up on a unit. I was treated poorly. I have not had Covid vacci … (read more)

Belleair Health Care Center

1150 Ponce De Leon Blvd , Clearwater, FL, 33756

My mother has moved into long-term care at Belleair Health Care Center. My sister and I have both been struggling with communication. We’re not getting our calls returned, and we’re getting different … (read more)

Highland Pines Rehabilitation Center

1111 South Highland Avenue , Clearwater, FL, 33756

The staff at Highland Pines Rehabilitation was great. They encourage you to keep working. I would rate it very well; they were excellent. I haven’t found any faults. I thought they were great, and the … (read more)

Orchid Cove at Clearwater

1980 Sunset Point Road, Clearwater, FL, 33765

As a patient of Sand Key Rehab I have been treated with nothing but professional medical care The staff is always there to help me in anything I needed They are always asking how are you doing from ev … (read more)

Mease Continuing Care

910 New York Avenue, Dunedin, FL, 34698

I have visited and worked at Mease Continuing Care in the Skilled nursing unit for 2 short months. In this period of time I have experienced what this section of the facility was all about. Let me beg … (read more)

Kensington Gardens

2055 Palmetto St, Clearwater, FL, 33765

I broke my left leg on February 12. I had emergency surgery, and then I was transferred to Kensington Gardens Rehab for my healing process for my broken leg. We have a new administrator for the last t … (read more)

Gulf Shore Care Center

6767 86Th Ave N, Pinellas Park, FL, 33782

This nursing home is the best nursing home my husband has ever been in. At all the other nursing home’s my husband whom is disabled and cannot talk or walk use to call me everyday, all day. He is cl … (read more)

Manor Care Health Services of Dunedin

870 PATRICIA AVE, Dunedin, FL, 34698

Prior to admissions they tell you they promise you everything. One of the nurses actually said that the admissions person is just like a car salesmen, they tell you what you want to hear to get your … (read more)

Bay Pines VA Health

10000 Bay Pines Blvd, Bay Pines, FL, 33744

Bay Pines VA Health did a very nice job with my father. They had nurses and occupational therapists. Its physical appearance was good, but it was more institutional. They should improve on the food. T … (read more)

Nursing Home Costs in Largo, FL

On average, nursing home care in Largo costs $9,946 a month with a semiprivate room and $11,391 with a private room.

The Cost of Nursing Home Care in Nearby Cities

At $9,946 a month, Largo’s median cost of nursing home care is $1,277 above the statewide average and $2,190 above what most seniors pay nationally. Out of the surrounding cities, North Port has the highest median cost of care, $9,186 a month, followed by The Villages and Homosassa Springs, where the cost of nursing home care averages $8,973 and $8,821, respectively. In Lakeland, seniors spend around $1,308 less each month on nursing home care than seniors in Largo, making it one of this area’s most affordable cities for senior care.

$9946

Lakeland

$9186

North Port

The Cost of Other Types of Senior Care

The median monthly cost of adult day health care in Largo is $1,993, making it the least expensive type of senior care. Home care and home health care are both less than half the cost of the least expensive nursing home option, and assisted living, which averages $3,225 a month, is less than one-third of its cost. With its median price of $11,391 a month, nursing home care with a private room is the most costly type of senior care.

$4195

Adult day health care

$3225

Assisted living

$9946

Nursing home (semiprivate room)

$11391

Nursing home (private room)

Note: Data for Largo was unavailable, so data for the nearest city, Tampa, was used instead.

Financial Assistance for Nursing Home Care in Largo, FL

Free Resources for Seniors in Largo, FL

Some of the following resources could help seniors choose a nursing home and pay for their care. We also included in-home care programs that can help seniors save money while delaying their transition to a nursing environment.

Resource

Contact

Service

The Long-Term Care Ombudsman Program advocates for the rights of seniors in nursing homes and assisted living facilities. With the facility's residents' best interests in mind, the Ombudsman investigates concerns raised by seniors or their families and seeks a satisfactory resolution for all involved. Ombudsman can also assist seniors with finding a nursing home and exploring options to finance care.

Through the Home-Delivered Meals Program, older residents lacking transportation and the ability to cook for themselves can have hot, nutritionally balanced meals delivered to their residences. Meals are usually delivered at least once a day, five or more days a week. In addition to adhering to medical guidelines, seniors must be at least 60 years of age to qualify.

Volunteers with S.H.I.N.E. help seniors understand the coverage offered by different Medicare plans and their eligibility. Whether seniors want more information about Medicare's nursing home coverage or they're trying to figure out if Medigap insurance is worth it, S.H.I.N.E.'s counselors can sit down with them one-on-one and provide free advice on which plans best address their priorities.

The Area Agency on Aging of Pasco-Pinellas can introduce Largo's older adults to a variety of programs designed to ensure seniors stay healthy while living at home. Transportation to medical appointments, caregiver support, nutrition programs and in-home care are a few of the many services seniors can apply for at the A.A.A.