6 Assisted Living Facilities near Pottsville, PA
Also serving communities of Shenandoah, Mount Carmel.
There are 6 Assisted Living Facilities in the Pottsville area, with 3 in Pottsville and 3 nearby.
To help you with your search, browse the 9 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Pottsville. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Pottsville 4.0 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Orwigsburg with an average rating of 5.0 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Pottsville, call (855) 863-8283.
3 Assisted Living Facilities in Pottsville, PA
3 Assisted Living Facilities near Pottsville, PA
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Pottsville
Home to the Yuengling Brewery and the Jerry's Classic Cars and Collectibles Museum, Pottsville, Pennsylvania, has plenty of seniors to do. The Schuylkill County seat is home to 13,555 people, 19.7% of whom are aged 65 and over, and the two assisted living facilities in town help seniors who can no longer take care of the activities of daily living on their own.
In Pennsylvania, including Pottsville, assisted living facilities are known as assisted living residences (ALR). These facilities are licensed and regulated by the state's Department of Aging, Office of Long-Term Living, Division of Licensing.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Pottsville
- In Pottsville and throughout Pennsylvania, seniors don't pay taxes on retirement income, including IRAs, Social Security and 401(k)s. Pension income for seniors over 60 is also not taxed, so seniors may have more money to spend on assisted living costs.
- At 75, Pottsville's cost of living is nearly 25% cheaper than state and national averages. This is driven by low housing costs of 25, a third of the state average and a quarter of the national average. However, seniors can expect to pay up to 20% more for healthcare.
- Although the city's crime rates are lower than the national averages, seniors may still want to ask what security measures are taken to keep residents safe in prospective assisted living facilities. Pottsville violent crime is 20.7, two points below the U.S. average, and its property crime rate is 31.5, almost four points lower than the national median.
- The annual temperature range in Pottsville is 20-84 degrees. This is standard for the state, but Pottsville has just 193 sunny days, eight days less than the national median. With 50 inches of rain and 37 inches of snow each year, the city sidewalks could be challenging.
- Pottsville's air quality of 56 is two points lower than the country's average of 58. This is based on the EPA's National Air Toxics Assessment, which measures hazardous air pollutants that cause respiratory illness and cancer. This may make the city a comfortable place to breathe for those with COPD and asthma.
- The Pottsville area is home to world-class medical facilities, including the Lehigh Valley Hospital, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
Note: Data reported on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Pottsville
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Pennsylvania
Assisted Living costs in Pottsville start around $0 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Pottsville and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Pottsville
PA Code 2800.27 limits the amount seniors can be charged for assisted living services to their monthly income. In Pottsville and the rest of Pennsylvania, seniors who receive SSI might be eligible for assistance for assisted living costs.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Pennsylvania page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Pennsylvania page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Pottsville
Pottsville and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Pottsville, please visit our Assisted Living in Pennsylvania page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Pottsville
Pottsville-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Pennsylvania are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Pennsylvania page for more information about these laws.
Other Options in Pottsville, PA
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Pottsville
Review of Luther Ridge at Seiders Hill
She liked it there at Luther Ridge at Seiders Hill, but it was becoming too expensive. My mother loves it there. There are many things for people at Luther Ridge to do. My mother met a lot of nice ... Read more
Review of Providence Place of Pottsville
My ex-husband is in Providence Place in Pottsville right now. I was able to get him in there right away and I know a lot of people up there that recommended it. They were very helpful and cordial i... Read more
Review of Luther Ridge at Seiders Hill
The facility is lovely and offers a beautiful, comfortable environment for the residents. Quality of care is going down in the past few months due to a high turnover in clinical staff or staff has ... Read more