66 Assisted Living Facilities near Canton, MI
There are 66 Assisted Living Facilities in the Canton area, with 7 in Canton and 59 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Canton is $4,495 per month. This is higher than the national median of $3,500. Cheaper nearby regions include Westland with an average starting cost of $2,498.
To help you with your search, browse the 326 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Canton. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Canton 4.0 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Romulus with an average rating of 5.0 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Canton, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 10 Assisted Living Facilities in Canton, MI
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Canton
Located midway between Detroit and Ann Arbor, Canton is a dynamic, diverse community that offers easy access to both of those larger cities. Canton is also home to a growing number of retirees who can choose to take advantage of its cutting-edge community center, premiere performance venue and plentiful parks. According to the 2010 census, residents 55 years of age and older make up roughly a quarter of the area's population. Those seniors seeking an assisted living center in Canton can select from 48 different facilities available in the area. Five of these are in Canton’s city limits, while 43 more can be found in surrounding communities such as Westland, Plymouth and Livonia.
In Canton and across Michigan, assisted living facilities are officially called Homes for the Aged (HFA). They are licensed by the Bureau of Children and Adult Licensing, Department of Human Services.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Canton
- Seniors considering moving into an assisted living community in Canton should be prepared to endure Southeast Michigan’s humid continental climate, with its cold, snowy winters. On average, Canton receives 44 inches of snow each year and has a January low temperature of around 18 degrees.
- Canton's overall cost of living is 21 percent higher than the national average. However, the housing market accounts for most of this difference. Seniors can actually expect to pay less for some living expenses, such as groceries and health care.
- The state of Michigan is moderately tax-friendly for seniors. Social Security retirement benefits are tax-free and the state offers a deduction for other kinds of retirement income.
- Compared to the U.S. national average, Canton's crime rates are low. On a scale of one to 100, Canton's violent crime rate is 22.8 and its property crime rate is 23.1. The national averages are 31.1 and 38.1, respectively.
- Assisted living communities in Canton may offer residents outings to one the city's acres of parks or to take in live shows at The Village Theater at Cherry Hill. In addition, Canton's community center, Summit on the Park, offers activities for all ages, including at the Club 55 Plus Senior Center.
- The Canton Community Mobility Transportation Services Program offers curb-to-curb transit service for seniors.
Paying for Assisted Living in Canton
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Michigan
Assisted Living costs in Canton start around $4,495 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Canton and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Canton
Low-income retirees in Canton may receive help paying for assisted living through Michigan's Medicaid waiver, which is called the MI Choice Waiver. Financial aid is also available to those with Supplemental Security Income (SSI) through Michigan’s Optional State Supplement (OSS) program.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Michigan page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Michigan page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Canton
Canton and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Canton, please visit our Assisted Living in Michigan page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Canton
Canton-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Michigan are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Michigan page for more information about these laws.
Other Options in Canton, MI
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Canton
Review of Bickford of Canton
I toured Bickford of Canton and they showed me 3 different kinds of rooms in assisted living. It's very homey and comfortable there. Michelle was excellent, very thorough, and very talkative. She... Read more
Review of Bickford of Canton
Bickford of Canton is probably the most reasonably priced. They were a brand-new facility and the people were incredibly nice. The location is central to our family members, and they're willing to ... Read more
Review of Bickford of Canton
I loved Bickford of Canton. It was very welcoming, clean, and spacious. The individual apartments felt very homey and nicely appointed with all the things that you would need. The person that gave ... Read more