43 Assisted Living Facilities near Sarasota, FL
With an average cost of $3,428 in Sarasota, it’s often difficult to find assisted living communities that provide high-quality care at an affordable price. At Caring.com, our mission is to make this process as smooth and painless as possible, and we’ve helped many families along the way.
This guide provides everything you need to quickly compare communities and narrow your search, including 273 unique reviews from residents and our comprehensive database that gives pricing, amenity information, photos and more on the 35 facilities in Sarasota.
35 Assisted Living Facilities in Sarasota, FL
8 Assisted Living Facilities near Sarasota, FL
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Sarasota
Located on the southwestern coast of Florida, Sarasota is south of Tampa Bay and north of Fort Meyers. Seniors may enjoy the historical culture of the Ringling Family that is preserved in the town, such as the John and Mable Ringling Museum of Art and the Ca' d'Zan Mansion. Sarasota is also home to 34 assisted living facilities and there are an additional 22 communities in nearby areas such as Lakewood Ranch, Englewood and North Port.
Assisted living facilities in Florida provide meals and supportive assistance with daily activities like bathing and dressing, and some are licensed to offer more specialized care for those with additional health-related needs.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Sarasota
- The cost of living in Sarasota is considerably higher than the rest of the state and 14 percent higher than the national average. Housing and health care costs are particularly high, which could affect assisted living expenses.
- Most months have average high temperatures between 80 and 90 degrees, and it gets humid. The fall and winter seasons are short and warm with occasional chilly days.
- The number of violent crimes per 1,000 residents per year is 5.16, which is about 25 percent higher than the national average of 4. It's also higher than Florida's average rate of 4.3.
- Sarasota is a member of the AARP Network of Age-Friendly Communities, meaning that its elected leadership “has made the commitment to actively work toward making their town, city or county a great place for people of all ages,” according to AARP.
- Due to its coastal location, climate and artistic culture, Sarasota has many indoor and outdoor activities to keep you engaged and active within the community, including Friendship Centers that provide seniors with activities, education and clinics.
- The Sarasota area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Sarasota Memorial Hospital, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
Paying for Assisted Living in Sarasota
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Florida
Assisted Living costs in Sarasota start around $3,383 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Sarasota and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Sarasota
Qualified seniors can receive assistance with the cost of services at assisted living facilities in Sarasota through the state’s Medicaid Long-Term Care (MLTC) and Assistive Care Services programs. Although the state's programs do not set a cap on room-and-board fees, the MLTC plan does help to negotiate those costs with the provider.
The state also provides an optional state supplement (OSS) for those receiving Federal SSI benefits that can help with the costs of long-term care. Florida allows family supplementation to help cover the costs of assisted living without impacting Medicaid eligibility.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Florida page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Florida page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Sarasota
Sarasota and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Sarasota, please visit our Assisted Living in Florida page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Sarasota
Sarasota-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Florida are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Florida page for more information about these laws.
Other Options in Sarasota, FL
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Sarasota
Review of Heron House
Heron House was okay, and the staff was very nice. The rooms were a little small, but it was okay. The dining room was very nice. The staff who assisted me on the tour was very nice. Read more
Review of Life Care Center Of Sarasota
My mother has been here for a few months and we finally came down to Florida to come and get her. I was able to hear how the staff talked to other people and they had attitudes and used foul langu... Read more
Review of Aravilla Assisted Living & Memory Care
Our family could not be happier with Pop's home in the Assisted Living Community for just over one year now. His apartment is wonderful, modern, warm and homey, and very Very Safe! They clean each... Read more