5 Assisted Living Facilities near Sturgis, MI
There are 5 Assisted Living Facilities in the Sturgis area, with 3 in Sturgis and 2 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Sturgis is $5,800 per month. This is higher than the national median of $3,650.
To help you with your search, browse the 1 review below for assisted living facilities in Sturgis. Better rated regions include Burr Oak with an average rating of 4.0 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Sturgis, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 5 Assisted Living Facilities in Sturgis, MI
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Sturgis
Sturgis, a small city near the Michigan-Indiana border, is surrounded by farmland. With its traditional downtown and small-town charm, Sturgis may appeal to seniors who are looking for a change of pace. They’ll be in good company because about one in eight of the city’s 10,800 residents are seniors.
Local seniors who are no longer able to live independently can turn to the city's two assisted living facilities. Two more are located in nearby Burr Oak. They're classified as homes for the aged and are licensed and regulated by Michigan’s Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Sturgis
- The Sturgis area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Sturgis Hospital, in the event of medical emergencies and illness.
- Like many small communities, Sturgis has few attractions. Seniors can visit the Sturges-Young Auditorium for live music, magic shows and other performances. There are several specialty shops downtown where seniors may find interesting gifts for friends and family. The county has some fishing and hiking areas, such as Tamarack Lake and Camp Fort Hill.
- Sturgis is rated 6.8 out of 10 on the Sterling BestPlaces Comfort Index, which means it has one of the most comfortable climates in the state. Winters are relatively mild with lows in the mid-teens. Seniors can look forward to 80-degree highs in the summers, which is ideal for golf and other outdoor sports.
- For seniors on a budget, Sturgis’ affordability may be a major selling point. The city’s overall cost of living is 15.5% below the national average. Housing, transportation and groceries all cost less here. Healthcare costs are 8.5% lower than the national average, which may translate to significant savings for seniors with chronic health conditions.
- At 37 per 1,000 residents, Sturgis’ crime rate is high. This is driven by property crime. The community’s property crime rate is nearly twice the state average. Fortunately, the violent crime rate is low, which may reassure seniors.
- Michigan applies a tax rate of 4.25% to seniors’ retirement income, and unlike other cities in the state, Sturgis doesn’t levy an additional income tax. Social Security benefits are exempt, and depending on a senior’s age, other types of retirement income may be exempt, too.
Note: Data reported on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Sturgis
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Michigan
Assisted Living costs in Sturgis start around $0 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Sturgis and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Sturgis
Seniors who are looking for help with assisted living costs may find it in the form of the MI Choice waiver program. Another possible source of financial assistance is Michigan’s optional state supplementation program.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Michigan page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Michigan page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Sturgis
Sturgis and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Sturgis, please visit our Assisted Living in Michigan page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Sturgis
Sturgis-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Michigan are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Michigan page for more information about these laws.