15 Assisted Living Facilities near Portage, MI
Also serving communities of Lawton.
There are 15 Assisted Living Facilities in the Portage area, with 5 in Portage and 10 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Portage is $3,444 per month. This is lower than the national median of $3,450.
To help you with your search, browse the 75 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Portage. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Portage 4.0 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Plainwell with an average rating of 4.5 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Portage, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 10 Assisted Living Facilities in Portage, MI
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Portage
Portage, Michigan has a vibrant range of activities and attractions, including Bishop's Bog Preserve and Painting with a Twist, that may appeal to senior citizens, including those who live in the city’s five assisted living communities. There are an additional 10 facilities in nearby areas such as Kalamazoo.
Seniors who are considering moving into an assisted living facility in this state might be surprised to note that Michigan doesn’t license these facilities unless they meet specific licensing criteria. The Adult Foster Care and Homes for the Aged Licensing Division regulates any facilities that must obtain a license.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Portage
- Frigid winters in Portage might not appeal to all seniors; however, the mild summers might make the winters worth it. On average, the city sees 205 sunny days and 48 inches of snow per year. In January, average lows dip to around 17 degrees Fahrenheit. Average highs of around 83 degrees are common in July.
- The air quality in Portage is higher than the national average, which may benefit seniors who have respiratory conditions. On a scale of 1 to 100 with 100 being the best, Portage’s air quality is 68. The average across the entire United States is 58.
- Seniors in Portage may enjoy the lower cost of living. Where 100 is the average index across the entire country, this city has an index of 90.1. Groceries, health and transportation all rank below the national average.
- Portage has a lower than average violent crime rate, but a higher than average property crime rate. The city’s rank is 13 for violent crime, which is a big dip from the national average of 31.1. Property crime across the country averages out at 38.1, but it is 48.8 in Portage.
- Seniors can stay active in Portage thanks to the YMCA of Greater Kalamzoo and the Portage Senior Center. Both have various activities, including exercise classes. The Portage Senior Center also offers day trips, extended trips, and international travel to people who are ages 50 and older.
- The Portage area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Ascension Borgess Hospital and Bronson, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
Paying for Assisted Living in Portage
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Michigan
Assisted Living costs in Portage start around $3,444 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Portage and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Portage
Some of the care that seniors citizens receive in an assisted living facility might be covered under the MI Choice Waiver Program.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Michigan page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Michigan page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Portage
Portage and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Portage, please visit our Assisted Living in Michigan page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Portage
Portage-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Michigan are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Michigan page for more information about these laws.
Other Options in Portage, MI
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Portage
Review of Brookdale Portage
I liked Brookdale Portage. It was in the top three of all the places I saw. My grandmother was in there ten years ago and they were very good. It was a very posh place and it seemed very upscale. T... Read more
Review of StoryPoint Portage
We want to thank Jayde for all her time and effort. Even she had to admit we asked questions no one else has. She helped make a difficult situation run much more smoothly than we could have anticip... Read more
Review of StoryPoint Portage
StoryPoint is an extremely decent, clean, modern, caring, and user-friendly community. Staff and contract-staff are all helpful and friendly. There is a feeling of ‘wanting to please’. My questions... Read more