17 Assisted Living Facilities near Kalamazoo, MI
There are 17 Assisted Living Facilities in the Kalamazoo area, with 13 in Kalamazoo and 4 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Kalamazoo is $3,798 per month. This is higher than the national median of $3,500. Cheaper nearby regions include Battle Creek with an average starting cost of $2,922.
To help you with your search, browse the 100 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Kalamazoo. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Kalamazoo 4.0 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Portage with an average rating of 4.1 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Kalamazoo, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 10 Assisted Living Facilities in Kalamazoo, MI
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Kalamazoo
Kalamazoo, population 75,855, is located in the southwest region of Michigan and is home to Western Michigan University. Assisted living communities in Michigan often go by the names of adult foster care facilities (AFCF) On a state level, these properties are regulated by the Michigan Department of Human Services and their Bureau of Children and Adult Licensing. The 17 adult foster care facilities in Kalamazoo, MI, provide room and board for residents, along with 24-hour staff assistance with dressing, personal care and other activities of daily living (ADLs).
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Kalamazoo
- Kalamazoo is close enough to Battle Creek to share its weather, which is typical of the northern Midwest. Daily highs here average 58 degrees Fahrenheit, and lows average 37 degrees. Kalamazoo gets snow and just over 35 inches of rain a year which can affect seniors with asthma or COPD on the coldest days.
- Kalamazoo's air quality can be challenging for seniors with respiratory issues. According to the American Lung Association's report on the city, Kalamazoo is relatively high in ozone pollution, but the rates of fine particles in the air are fairly low. These figures are expected to continue dropping and improving.
- Kalamazoo is quite affordable by both national and state standards. Across categories, the average cost of living here is 20 percent lower than the national average. Groceries, for example, are 20 percent cheaper in Kalamazoo than nationally, and healthcare is 10 percent cheaper.
- Kalamazoo residents pay a 6 percent state sales tax on most goods. There is no local sales tax at all. SSI and most retirement income is exempt from state taxes.
Crime rates in Kalamazoo are among the highest in the nation. Property crimes are much more common here than elsewhere in the United States, or even in the rest of Michigan. Residents have a 1-in-80 chance of being the victim of a crime annually.
- Kalamazoo's transit authority goes by the lively name of Metro!, and it operates multiple bus routes around the city. Connections are available with the transit system of nearby Battle Creek, and fares on both networks are relatively low. Seniors, students and riders with a valid discount ID get half off their fares, and transfers are provided free of charge.
Paying for Assisted Living in Kalamazoo
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Michigan
Assisted Living costs in Kalamazoo start around $3,798 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Kalamazoo and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Kalamazoo
Non-Medicare options for low-income seniors are generally lacking in Michigan, at least when it comes to paying the costs of assisted living, but Eldercare loans are a popular choice for many families who need extra financial assistance to cover the initial costs of moving a senior they love into assisted living in the state.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Michigan page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Michigan page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Kalamazoo
Kalamazoo and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Kalamazoo, please visit our Assisted Living in Michigan page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Kalamazoo
Kalamazoo-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Michigan are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Michigan page for more information about these laws.
Other Options in Kalamazoo, MI
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Kalamazoo
Review of Park Place Assisted Living
My father has been a resident here for 5 years. We have been very happy with his care..The employees and staff are always kind and caring to our father.He has dementia but still has some of his mi... Read more
Review of Park Place Assisted Living
My husband moved into Park Place Assisted Living. I think the administrator and the staff are very nice. The place is clean, and the food is good. My husband really needs more one-on-one attention ... Read more
Review of Sojourner Place
The tour at Sojourner Place was great. Everything was fine and everything was set up and they're waiting for me. Abigail, the administrator that showed me around was well prepared and she did great... Read more