12 Assisted Living Facilities near Dartmouth, MA
With an average cost of $5,710 in Dartmouth, it’s often difficult to find assisted living communities that provide high-quality care at an affordable price. At Caring.com, our mission is to make this process as smooth and painless as possible, and we’ve helped many families along the way.
This guide provides everything you need to quickly compare communities and narrow your search, including 18 unique reviews from residents and our comprehensive database that gives pricing, amenity information, photos and more on the 2 facilities in Dartmouth.
Top 10 Assisted Living Facilities in Dartmouth, MA
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Dartmouth
Known for its historic farmland and vineyards, Dartmouth is a coastal town in Bristol County with about 20% of the population aged 65 or over. A popular place for retirees, Dartmouth has many assisted living residences (ALRs) available, with three facilities within the town and nine more located in the surrounding area.
In Dartmouth and Massachusetts as a whole, the Executive Office of Elder Affairs (EOEA) regulates standards for ALRs and provides access to resources for seniors.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Dartmouth
- While Dartmouth doesn't have much of a problem with particle pollution, ozone levels in Bristol County reported by the American Lung Association are high enough to cause health problems. Seniors with respiratory issues such as asthma, COPD and lung cancer may be significantly impacted.
- The cost of living in Dartmouth is significantly higher than the national average. Most of this can be attributed to housing costs, with a median home price of $369,900 compared to $219,700 nationally.
- Winter weather in Dartmouth can be challenging for seniors who have a rough time getting around in the elements. The town receives significant snowfall six months out of the year, getting up to 10.5 inches in January.
- Dartmouth is a relatively safe area. The violent crime rate per 1,000 residents is 2.13, less than the rate of 3.58 in Massachusetts and 4 nationally.
- Dartmouth is a member of the AARP Network of Age-Friendly Communities, meaning that its elected leadership “has made the commitment to actively work toward making their town, city or county a great place for people of all ages,” according to AARP.
- The Dartmouth area is home to world-class medical facilities, including St. Luke's Hospital, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
Note: Data reported on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Dartmouth
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Massachusetts
Assisted Living costs in Dartmouth start around $5,710 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Dartmouth and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Dartmouth
Dartmouth seniors have a few options available to help with assisted living expenses. The Massachusetts Medicaid program, MassHealth, offers the Moving Forward Plan Residential Supports (MFP-RS) waiver to provide support for assisted living and other services, and the Massachusetts State Supplement Program (SSP) provides additional income to SSI recipients.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Massachusetts page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Massachusetts page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Dartmouth
Dartmouth and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Dartmouth, please visit our Assisted Living in Massachusetts page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Dartmouth
Dartmouth-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Massachusetts are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Massachusetts page for more information about these laws.
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Dartmouth
Review of The Residence at Cedar Dell
We have chosen The Residence at Cedar Dell for my mom, because of its closeness to where we live now. It's right down the road from where my mother is living now, so it was very convenient. It's ve... Read more
Review of The Residence at Cedar Dell
The Residence at Cedar Dell was stunningly beautiful. It's a more upscale facility. The rooms were very comfortable, and they got a patio. They just couldn't take my sister in because of their age ... Read more
Review of The Cottages at Dartmouth Village
We love this place so much it has been a huge life savor for us. We moved my mother in a few months ago and I can already see a change in her. She is so happy and back to her old self. The staff he... Read more