18 Assisted Living Facilities near Somerset, MA
There are 18 Assisted Living Facilities in the Somerset area, with 2 in Somerset and 16 nearby.
To help you with your search, browse the 58 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Somerset. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Somerset 4.5 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Cranston with an average rating of 5.0 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Somerset, call (855) 863-8283.
2 Assisted Living Facilities in Somerset, MA
16 Assisted Living Facilities near Somerset, MA
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Somerset
Once a major coal port and vital shipping point, the town of Somerset, Massachusetts, is a culturally-rich waterfront community nestled along the western shores of the Taunton River and Mount Hope Bay. Of its more than 18,000 residents, 22.9% are adults aged 65 year and older. The area is home to 34 facilities known in Somerset, and throughout Massachusetts, as assisted living residences (ALRs), that offer seniors help with activities of daily living. All ALRS in the state are certified and regulated by the Executive Office of Elder Affairs (EOEA).
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Somerset
- While higher than the national average of 100 at 115.1, the cost of living in Somerset is much lower than the statewide average of 139. This may be helpful for seniors looking for a more budget-friendly option in the state of Massachusetts.
- Somerset has no facilities from which to choose in the event of a medical emergency or illness, with the nearest major hospitals located in Fall River.
- Compared to other municipalities in Massachusetts, Somerset has lower crime rates, which could reassure families about the safety of loved ones living in an ALR. The town scores 15.3 for violent crime and 21.6 for property crime on a scale to 100, with 100 representing high crime. Statewide numbers are 21.1 and 23.5 in the same categories, respectively.
- Summers in Somerset are warm and humid with temperatures in the 80s, and winters are cold and wet with around 33 inches of snow expected to fall in a season. Overall, the town's comfort index rating is 44 out of 100.
- Somerset has an array of community resources for seniors, including the Somerset Council on Aging, an organization that offers programs and services for seniors, including informational seminars, community meals, recreational activities and weekly events, as well as a senior center.
- The Southeastern Regional Transit Authority (SRTA) serves ten communities across southeastern Massachusetts, including Somerset, and offers reduced fares for older adults. The Somerset Council on Aging also provides a free curb-to-curb mini-bus transportation service for anyone 59 or older.
Note: Data on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Somerset
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Massachusetts
Assisted Living costs in Somerset start around $0 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Somerset and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Somerset
To supplement the cost of living at an ALR, Somerset seniors have a number of options. The Group Adult Foster Care program and Money Follows the Person (MFP) waiver program are available as part of the Massachusetts Medicaid State Plan, and low-income seniors can apply to have an optional state supplement (OSS) added to their Supplemental Security Income (SSI) payment to help with room and board costs.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Massachusetts page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Massachusetts page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Somerset
Somerset and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Somerset, please visit our Assisted Living in Massachusetts page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Somerset
Somerset-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Massachusetts are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Massachusetts page for more information about these laws.
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Somerset
Review of Clifton Assisted Living Comm
Clifton Assisted Living is where my mom is going. Their studio apartment actually has an alcove in them that can accommodate a bed and a couple of bureaus, so it is like you have your couch on top ... Read more
Review of Clifton Assisted Living Comm
The rooms are bright, however some have to room with a roommate. They offer various types of food, exercise and activities. They also have a bus that can take some of them out to the mall if they... Read more