Kansas City is the largest urban area in the state of Missouri with a population of nearly half a million people and approximately 70,000 seniors aged 65 and over. Older adults may be interested to know that there are many hospitals and health centers in the city including North Kansas City Hospital, The University of Kansas Health System and Saint Luke’s Hospital of Kansas City.

Skilled nursing facilities are also known as nursing homes, and they provide both long-term care for frail seniors and short-term rehabilitation after a hospital discharge. Older adults in nursing homes receive constant supervision, assistance with daily living and medical services, including wound care and medication management. Seniors who don’t require around-the-clock care could consider more affordable options like home care services or moving into an assisted living facility.

This guide takes an in-depth look at the average cost of nursing care in Kansas City, and compares it with other Missouri cities and alternative types of senior care. We’ve also compiled a list of free services available to older adults in the city.

Directory of Nursing Homes in Kansas City, Missouri

Armour Oaks Senior Living

8100 WORNALL ROAD, Kansas City, MO, 64114

Armour Oaks Senior Living is located in a peaceful neighborhood just outside of Kansas City, MO. Guests have access to a fitness room, book club, religious services and cooking classes. Further amenit … (read more)

Kingswood

10000 Wornall Road, Kansas City, MO, 64114

We kept my parents at Kingswood. We just moved them into long-term care. We think the staff members are very good. They have taken good care of them, so we just decided that they should stay there. It … (read more)

Seasons Day Services

15600 WOODS CHAPEL ROAD, Kansas City, MO, 64139

My mother was at this nursing facility for a number of years. I think some of the staff were good and really tried. The issue is that they were terribly understaffed. As a result, my mother was not w … (read more)

Kansas City Center for Rehabilitation and Nursing

12942 Wornall Road, Kansas City, MO, 64145

Corner Brook Place is located in Kansas City, Missouri, home to the American Jazz Museum, the Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art and the Crown Center. Residents and visitors give high marks to the 180-bed fa … (read more)

Timberlake Care Center

12110 Holmes Rd., Kansas City, MO, 64145

Timberlake’s food is a little bit better, but they have cockroaches right across the floor. I mentioned that, and they said, you don’t charge for freebies. The grounds were pretty, with a bigger f … (read more)

Saint Luke’s Bishop Spencer Place

4301 MADISON AVENUE, Kansas City, MO, 64111

The staff claims they lost my mom’s paperwork and were unable to get it to the social worker to confirm visits, so visiting my mom was next to impossible. When I visited – In the morning (9:30am), I … (read more)

Northland Rehabilitation & Health Care

4301 NE Parvin Road, Kansas City, MO, 64117

I was a caretaker for a gentleman brought to this facility. He was placed on the quarantine hall. After just a few days of being there I noticed he was not okay. His speech was slurred he seemed as if … (read more)

Carondelet Place

621 CARONDELET DRIVE, Kansas City, MO, 64114

The food at Carondelet Manor has been pretty good. My grandmother’s only been there for 30 days, and so far, so good. The room that she’s in is probably what we’re least satisfied with because i … (read more)

New Mark Nursing Home and Rehabilitation Center

11221 North Nashua Drive, Kansas City, MO, 64155

My father is at New Mark Care Center (New Mark Nursing Home and Rehabilitation Center). He’s in the nursing home because he’s in hospice care. It is an older facility that has been updated. It has ver … (read more)

Parkway Health Care Center

2323 Swope Parkway, Kansas City, MO, 64130

My dad has been in Parkway Health & Rehab since December. It’s not good. They are doing some renovation in an attempt to make it more cosmetically appealing, but I don’t care what the place looks … (read more)

Cherry Hills Community & Rehabilitation Center

724 Northeast 79th Terrace , Kansas City, MO, 64118

Really happy I chose this place for my mother! She’s constantly telling me how happy she is. Great place.

Garden Valley Nursing & Rehabilitation Center

8575 NORTH GRANBY AVE, Kansas City, MO, 64154

Don’t ever take your love ones here!! The rooms are filthy! Went to see my mom one day. When I got there and after talking for a few minutes I realized that she had been sitting in her pee all day. It … (read more)

Holmesdale Healthcare and Rehabilitation Center

8033 Holmes Road, Kansas City, MO, 64131

Redwood of Kansas City was referred to us, and mom is in there. It’s been good, the staff seem very competent, cooperative, friendly, and responsive. She hasn’t shared any complaints about the food, t … (read more)

Swope Ridge Geriatric Center

5900 SWOPE PARKWAY, Kansas City, MO, 64130

Poor DON and adminstator. The DON is disabled and cant even walk the floors. The adminstator allows the DON to run the facility instead of doing his job. So poor staffing starts with these two then tr … (read more)

Truman Medical Center – Lakewood

7900 LEE’S SUMMIT ROAD, Kansas City, MO, 64139

I visited there and too tell anyone the truth I would not even put my SICK dog in that place!! The CNA are lazy..and don’t do a good job…They are on the cell phones..all the time 24/7..I even heard … (read more)

Blue River Rehabilitation Center

904 EAST 68TH STREET, Kansas City, MO, 64131

Hope Care Center

115 EAST 83RD STREET, Kansas City, MO, 64114

Nursing Home Costs in Kansas City, Missouri

In Kansas City, the average monthly cost for a semiprivate room in a nursing home is $6,844, while the respective cost in a private room is $7,452.

The Cost of Nursing Home Care in Nearby Cities

Using the monthly cost in a semiprivate room as the comparison point, nursing homes in Kansas city cost, on average, $1,764 more in the rest of the state. However, the cost is under the U.S. median of $7,756. Nursing homes in Kansas City are more expensive than in other areas of Missouri including St. Joseph ($4,867), Springfield ($5,171) and Jefferson City ($5,019). In Joplin, the median monthly price for a nursing home is above the state average, but still $1,278 less than in Kansas City.

$6844

Jefferson City

$5566

Joplin

The Cost of Other Types of Senior Care

Transitioning to a skilled nursing facility is not only a difficult decision but also the costliest option, so it’s useful to look into other types of senior care available in Kansas City. Seniors who want to remain in their homes can hire home care or home health care services which cost $4,576, on average. Moving into an assisted living community is another option for seniors who don’t need constant supervision, at a cost of $4,460 per month. The cheapest alternative is adult day health care at an average price of $1,625.

$4576

Adult day health care

$4460

Assisted living

$6844

Nursing home (semiprivate room)

$7452

Nursing home (private room)

Financial Assistance for Nursing Home Care in Kansas City, Missouri

Free Resources for Seniors in Kansas City, Missouri

These resources are available to seniors in Kansas City who want assistance with choosing a nursing home, delaying moving into one or learning about financial benefits available to help them afford nursing home care.

ResourceContact Service
MARC’s Department of Aging and Adult Services(816) 421-4980.The Mid-America Regional Council is a nonprofit agency that offers a robust list of programs and services to seniors and their caregivers. MARC manages several services including Kansas City’s meal delivery program, a home care assistance program for low-income older adults and the region’s Long Term Care Ombudsman
CLAIM Missouri(800) 390-3330This service is Missouri’s State Health Insurance Assistance Program. It helps seniors grasp all topics about health insurance benefits and programs. CLAIM counselors provide free and impartial advice on enrolling and claiming Medicare part A and B, MO HealthNet, Medicare Prescription Drug Coverage and Medicare Advantage.
USDA Senior Commodity Boxes(816) 931-0027Through this program managed by the Lutheran Metro Ministry, older adults aged 60 and over in Kansas City can receive a monthly food delivery. Food boxes typically contain a range of shelf-stable nutritional items.
The Missouri Senior Legal Helpline(800) 235-5503This program receives funding from the federal Older Americans Act and helps seniors aged 60 and older get in touch with a lawyer for advice on civil matters. Older adults can get counsel on a broad range of topics including power of attorney, wills and guardianship.
Home and Community Based Services(866) 835-3505Offered by the Department of Health and Senior Services, the Home and Community Based Services waiver helps Medicaid-eligible seniors delay moving into a nursing home by getting care at home. This program can help pay for homemaker services, nursing care, adult day care and respite care.