Nestled against the Mississippi River, Kansas City has a population of 495,327, making it Missouri’s most populous city. In addition to its rich contributions to regional gastronomy and music, the city’s low cost of living and highly ranked hospitals establish it as an attractive retirement destination for its 63,897 seniors.

In the city’s nursing homes, seniors have access to a range of medical services beyond what’s typically offered in other long-term care facilities. Wound care, diabetes management and a range of rehabilitative services are common, and most skilled nursing facilities will have licensed nurses and physicians on-site around the clock. Since Kansas City’s $6,844 median cost of nursing home care is 34.7% above the statewide average, seniors who don’t require 24-hour medical supervision may be able to save money by opting for assisted living or home care instead, assuming the level of care is sufficient.

An overview of senior care costs and resources which can help seniors pay for nursing home care are covered in this guide. We also mention several programs that can help seniors delay nursing home placement with in-home services and advocacy programs for current residents of long-term care facilities.

Directory of Nursing Homes in Kansas City, Missouri

Armour Oaks Senior Living

8100 WORNALL ROAD, Kansas City, MO, 64114

Armour Oaks Senior Living is located in a peaceful neighborhood just outside of Kansas City, MO. Guests have access to a fitness room, book club, religious services and cooking classes. Further amenit … (read more)

Tiffany Springs Senior Living Community

9101 N Ambassador Dr, Kansas City, MO, 64154

The LTC facility lacks the staffing and expertise to take care of the clients. Residence have an assist button they can push for help to the restroom and other needs, the staff takes up to 45 minutes … (read more)

Kingswood

10000 Wornall Road, Kansas City, MO, 64114

We kept my parents at Kingswood. We just moved them into long-term care. We think the staff members are very good. They have taken good care of them, so we just decided that they should stay there. It … (read more)

Timberlake Care Center

12110 Holmes Rd., Kansas City, MO, 64145

My mother went to Timberlake Care Center for respite care. It seems like a very pleasant place, and she seems to enjoy it. She has just been there five days now. The staff was very courteous, very kin … (read more)

Saint Luke’s Bishop Spencer Place

4301 MADISON AVENUE, Kansas City, MO, 64111

The staff claims they lost my mom’s paperwork and were unable to get it to the social worker to confirm visits, so visiting my mom was next to impossible. When I visited – In the morning (9:30am), I … (read more)

Seasons Day Services

15600 WOODS CHAPEL ROAD, Kansas City, MO, 64139

My mother was at this nursing facility for a number of years. I think some of the staff were good and really tried. The issue is that they were terribly understaffed. As a result, my mother was not w … (read more)

Kansas City Center for Rehabilitation and Nursing

12942 Wornall Road, Kansas City, MO, 64145

Corner Brook Place is located in Kansas City, Missouri, home to the American Jazz Museum, the Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art and the Crown Center. Residents and visitors give high marks to the 180-bed fa … (read more)

Northland Rehabilitation & Health Care

4301 NE Parvin Road, Kansas City, MO, 64117

Rooms are awesome. The staff go beyond excellent!!! The activities are personalized to the needs of the patient. Staff, especially the Asst. Director of Nursing – Ariel goes above and beyond to become … (read more)

Carondelet Place

621 CARONDELET DRIVE, Kansas City, MO, 64114

The food at Carondelet Manor has been pretty good. My grandmother’s only been there for 30 days, and so far, so good. The room that she’s in is probably what we’re least satisfied with because i … (read more)

New Mark Care Center

11221 North Nashua Drive, Kansas City, MO, 64155

My father is at New Mark Care Center (New Mark Nursing Home and Rehabilitation Center). He’s in the nursing home because he’s in hospice care. It is an older facility that has been updated. It has ver … (read more)

Parkway Health Care Center

2323 Swope Parkway, Kansas City, MO, 64130

My dad has been in Parkway Health & Rehab since December. It’s not good. They are doing some renovation in an attempt to make it more cosmetically appealing, but I don’t care what the place looks … (read more)

Cherry Hills Community & Rehabilitation Center

724 Northeast 79th Terrace , Kansas City, MO, 64118

Really happy I chose this place for my mother! She’s constantly telling me how happy she is. Great place.

Garden Valley Nursing & Rehabilitation Center

8575 NORTH GRANBY AVE, Kansas City, MO, 64154

Don’t ever take your love ones here!! The rooms are filthy! Went to see my mom one day. When I got there and after talking for a few minutes I realized that she had been sitting in her pee all day. It … (read more)

Holmesdale Healthcare and Rehabilitation Center

8033 Holmes Road, Kansas City, MO, 64131

Redwood of Kansas City was referred to us, and mom is in there. It’s been good, the staff seem very competent, cooperative, friendly, and responsive. She hasn’t shared any complaints about the food, t … (read more)

Swope Ridge Geriatric Center

5900 SWOPE PARKWAY, Kansas City, MO, 64130

Poor DON and adminstator. The DON is disabled and cant even walk the floors. The adminstator allows the DON to run the facility instead of doing his job. So poor staffing starts with these two then tr … (read more)

Truman Medical Center – Lakewood

7900 LEE’S SUMMIT ROAD, Kansas City, MO, 64139

I visited there and too tell anyone the truth I would not even put my SICK dog in that place!! The CNA are lazy..and don’t do a good job…They are on the cell phones..all the time 24/7..I even heard … (read more)

Blue River Rehabilitation Center

7001 CLEVELAND, Kansas City, MO, 64132

Highland Nursing and Rehabilitation Center

904 EAST 68TH STREET, Kansas City, MO, 64131

Nursing Home Costs in Kansas City, MO

Kansas City’s nursing home residents spend an average of $6,844 a month for semiprivate rooms and $7,452 for private accommodations.

The Cost of Nursing Home Care in Nearby Cities

Although seniors in Kansas City save around $912 on nursing home care compared to seniors nationwide, they still spend significantly more than the majority of seniors across Missouri. In Joplin and Springfield, seniors spend about $1,278 and $1,673 less each month, respectively. Columbia is the second-most affordable nearby city with a monthly savings of $1,904 compared to Kansas City. The most affordable nearby city is St. Joseph, where seniors save an average of $1,977 a month for a semiprivate room in a nursing home.

$6844

Columbia

$5171

Springfield

The Cost of Other Types of Senior Care

At $7,452 a month, nursing home care with a private room is the most expensive type of senior care in Kansas City, followed by nursing home care with a semiprivate room. The least expensive type of care is adult day health care which has an average monthly cost of $1,625. Home care and home health care have the same median cost of $4,576, and assisted living averages $4,460 per month.

$4576

Adult day health care

$4460

Assisted living

$6844

Nursing home (semiprivate room)

$7452

Nursing home (private room)

Financial Assistance for Nursing Home Care in Kansas City, MO

Free Resources for Seniors in Kansas City, MO

In the list below, we’ve described resources that can help seniors save money, finance nursing home care and delay moving into a nursing care facility with in-home services. Advocacy services and health insurance assistance programs are included as well.

Resource

Contact

Description

M.A.R.C. Aging & Adult services manages a range of programs to help seniors maintain their health through aging. With its in-home services, seniors can receive assistance with personal care, housekeeping and chores at their residence, while the organization's transportation service helps seniors travel to medical appointments. As the designated Area Agency on Aging for the Kansas City area, M.A.R.C. Aging & Adult Services also provides free legal assistance and care coordination with local healthcare providers for seniors over 60.

The Missouri D.S.S. is the primary contact for seniors to inquire about and apply for various welfare programs, including MO HealthNet, the state's Medicaid program, which pays for nursing home care for low-income seniors. The agency's workers can also give seniors information about food and cash assistance and relevant waiver programs such as the Structured Family Caregiving Waiver and the Aged and Disabled Waiver.

Volunteers with Missouri CLAIM are certified Medicare counselors who provide one-on-one assistance to seniors and their families to educate them about Medicare benefits and the enrollment process. With the program's assistance, seniors can determine the best Medicare plan for their needs and learn about options for prescription drug savings. Missouri Claim can also help seniors file appeals for denied Medicare benefits.

Through the Long-Term Care Ombudsman, residents of Kansas City's senior care communities can receive help resolving complaints about their quality of care and concerns that their rights are being infringed upon. Ombudsmen also help seniors and their families understand their options for long-term care and how to secure financing. Complaints about a facility can be filed by seniors or their families on their behalf.

Meals on Wheels is a federally funded program designed to help homebound seniors avoid malnutrition by delivering healthy meals to their residences. To qualify, seniors need to be at least 60 years of age and unable to prepare their own meals. Additional items available for home delivery include pet food and toiletries.