59 Assisted Living Facilities near Kansas City, MO
With an average cost of $3,742 in Kansas City, it’s often difficult to find assisted living communities that provide high-quality care at an affordable price. At Caring.com, our mission is to make this process as smooth and painless as possible, and we’ve helped many families along the way.
This guide provides everything you need to quickly compare communities and narrow your search, including 81 unique reviews from residents and our comprehensive database that gives pricing, amenity information, photos and more on the 24 facilities in Kansas City.
Top 10 Assisted Living Facilities in Kansas City, MO
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Kansas City
Kansas City, Missouri, is known as the home of the barbecue with more than 100 barbecue eateries in the area perfect for seniors who enjoyed charbroiled cuisine. Of the cities 459,787 population, 11 percent are seniors aged 65 or older, some of whom may benefit from living in an assisted living community. To support these seniors and their needs, there are 24 assisted living facilities located within the city.
Assisted living facilities in Kansas City and the rest of Missouri, are known as Residential Care Facilities (RCFs) and Assisted Living Facilities (ALFs), both of which are regulated by The Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Kansas City
- Kansas City is a member of the AARP Network of Age-Friendly Communities, meaning that its elected leadership “has made the commitment to actively work toward making their town, city or county a great place for people of all ages,” according to AARP.
- Missouri partially taxes social security income and public pensions, but fully taxes retirement savings account income and private pensions. Seniors in Kansas City may find that these tax laws result in less money available to put toward their facility expenses.
- Public transportation is convenient and affordable for seniors in Kansas City. The buses travel all over the city, with reduced rates for seniors 65 and older.
- The cost of living in Kansas City is 91.9, slightly lower than the national average of 100. Seniors may find that Kansas City is an affordable place to live.
- Kansas City has a violent crime rate of 70.8, and a property crime rate of 65.4, both significantly higher than the national averages of 22.7 and 35.4 in the same categories. Assisted living facilities help maintain resident safety with in-unit call buttons and staff on site 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
- Kansas City seniors enjoy comfortable temperatures ranging from 89 to 21 degrees. The area receives annual rainfalls of 42 inches, only slightly higher than the national average of 39. Seniors who enjoy spending time outdoors, might like living in Kansas City.
Paying for Assisted Living in Kansas City
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Missouri
Assisted Living costs in Kansas City start around $3,691 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Kansas City and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Kansas City
Missouri has a Supplemental Nursing Care (SNC) program for eligible seniors to help cover the costs of assisted living. There may be other financial assistance programs available through the Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Missouri page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Missouri page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Kansas City
Kansas City and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Kansas City, please visit our Assisted Living in Missouri page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Kansas City
Kansas City-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Missouri are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Missouri page for more information about these laws.
Assisted Living near Kansas City, MO
Other Options in Kansas City, MO
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Kansas City
Review of Senior Star at Wexford Place
The tour at Senior Star at Wexford Place was very good. The community relations girl was very informative, very helpful, and gave us the tour. It's a very friendly place, and I really liked it. Thi... Read more
Review of Senior Star at Wexford Place
We looked at the assisted living and memory care at Senior Star at Wexford Place. It was an excellent place. There's a physical therapist. They eat in small groups, so it's more of a family kind of... Read more
Review of Addington Place of Shoal Creek
This facility is clean and well maintained. Resident rooms are kept clean and tidy. Staff is very friendly, and gets to know residents and their family members. Staff consistently encourages res... Read more