31 Assisted Living Facilities near Independence, MO
There are 31 Assisted Living Facilities in the Independence area, with 6 in Independence and 25 nearby.
To help you with your search, browse the 81 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Independence. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Independence 3.4 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Raytown with an average rating of 3.9 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Independence, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 10 Assisted Living Facilities in Independence, MO
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Independence
Independence, Missouri is well-known for being the longtime home of Harry Truman, the 33rd president of the United States. Assisted Living Facilities (ALFs) in Missouri are defined by the state as those premises which provide 24-hour care and services and help with Activities of Daily Living (ADL). These facilities are governed by the Missouri Department of Health & Senior Services. Licensing requirements and policies can be viewed in detail on the DHSS website. Independence is home to five assisted living facilities, with another 31 in the nearby area.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Independence
- The violent crime in Independence is 36.3 out of 100 (1 being the lowest), which is a little higher than the national average. Property crime is quite high at 70.4 compared to the national average at 38.1. Seniors may want to take extra precautions to secure their belongings.
- Independence receives around 14 inches of snowfall a year, which can make it difficult for seniors with limited mobility to be active all year round. Independence enjoys warm summers averaging 89 degrees in July, and chilly winters with an average low of 21 degrees in January.
- Seniors living in Independence experience a cost of living that is 16.1 percent lower than the national average. This might help seniors on a budget afford a facility with a higher monthly cost.
- Seniors with a severe respiratory illness or bronchial condition may have some difficulties in Jackson County. The American Lung Association gave this county a Particle Pollution 24-hour score of C. While this is a fair score, it may bother some seniors who are particularly sensitive.
- The city of Independence offers lots of activities for individuals who love history. Seniors can follow in the footsteps of former president Harry Truman and visit his favorite soda fountain. Seniors might also enjoy learning about pioneer history and the Oregon Trail or exploring the city's many museums and historic sites.
- The Independence area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Centerpoint Medical Center, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
Paying for Assisted Living in Independence
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Missouri
Assisted Living costs in Independence start around $0 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Independence and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Independence
Missouri’s Medicaid plan offers assisted living coverage for eligible seniors. Non-Medicaid programs are available in Missouri. Seniors can take advantage of Missouri’s Pharmacy Assistance program, MORx, and the Older Americans Act.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Missouri page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Missouri page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Independence
Independence and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Independence, please visit our Assisted Living in Missouri page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Independence
Independence-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Missouri are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Missouri page for more information about these laws.
Assisted Living near Independence, MO
Other Options in Independence, MO
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Independence
Review of The Groves Retirement Community
My mother-in-law is at The Groves, and we're very happy with it. They have bingo and parties at various times during the month. They won't let her hide out in her room, and they come and get her wh... Read more
Review of Villages of Jackson Creek
Sent by hospital for recovery and physical therapy.Looks like a really nice place but staff is very unresponsive, rude, lazy and inefficient. The food is just terrible. They say they have two menus... Read more
Review of The Groves Retirement Community
They are severely short staffed, especially on the weekends. Not getting my mother out of bed, or getting her dressed, serving her meals late and she's diabetic. There's new company managament and ... Read more